Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Default New here would like some advice on a crazee idea

hi all, glad I found this place.. idea, I have a 1995 Volvo White GMC class 8 semi tractor (paid for) also have a 2006 Fontaine 48"x102" flatbed trailer (paid for also) I'm 58 now and have always toyed with the idea of a container house.(shipping containers). Both truck and trailer are just about like new mechanical wise and no way I can get what they are worth out of them.Soooo am I crazy and would like to know what you folks think. I see three choices. 1)sell the trailer and Stretttchhh the tractor to accomodate a 20' box for lq on it. 2) buy the box and could go with a20', 40' or even 45 footer and mount permanently on the trailer. Lotsa room under trailer for genset, water tanks, plumbing all easily accessible. Realize all piping will need insulation and it'll be a pain in the @## to move around but I'm a truck driver & mechanic (certified Journeyman Industrial Mechanic,,, sooo should be able to self-do all this...I'm looking for input or thoughts or suggestions or a ticket to the asylum. thx Brad

sunnypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

do you plan on using camp grounds or remote camping?
do you live in Savannah Il?
i live in Rockford Il.
you should draw out plans for what you want inside to figure out size needed.

volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

I think it also helps to decide early on whether you are going to use RV grade materials or standard home grade materials. The interface between the two can be a challenge but it not too difficult. I've gone with 90% home grade appliances optimized for off-grid applications and am very pleased with how things have turned out. My framing is steel tubing with plywood and foam (on either side to minimize thermal bridging) with aluminum siding. I'm happy with how that has turned out as well.
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

Default Thanx

Thank you both for the responses. I'm in Savannah GA. that's one reason for leaning toward a tin can for the shell. I've seen some container homes that are pretty nice looking. I'm leaning toward home grade materials and once set up it'll only be moved on a "bug out" basis. I'm planning on moving back to the mountains of Western NC where I'm from and all my family is there as well, and I may just let this be my tiny house on wheels, BUT with all that being said,truckers do get itchy feet and although mine are so callused they don't itch often anymore I may decide to do one more lap of this beautiful country we call home before I check out. As I get more into this I'll be picking your heads for ideas, and thoughts,/experiences.
Brad
sunnypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #5

Do you plan to have a vehicle to drive around once you get to the location and set up? If so, the stretched tractor may be better and just tow a vehicle behind. With the trailer you are stuck using the tractor to drive around, unless you build the trailer to haul a vehicle.

You can fit much longer than a 20 ft living quarters box on the stretch if you want. Of course depends if you are keeping the sleeper or going with more of day cab and then LQ behind, but easily could be 30-35 ft of LQ with day cab style.

Most here are longer wheelbase and have the LQ with the tractor, or the std truck conversion motorhome. However, there are many folks that are starting to use a class 6 or 8 tractor to pull a large 5th wheel trailer. This would be analogous to your trailer type build. Some of then put a small car (Smart car for example) on the tractor behind the cab, and in front of the trailer hitch. Most of these 5th wheel tractors are single rear axle, since they do not come close to the weight loading requiring two axles.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

re:
Conex

Shipping container sellers offer all sorts of conversions == roll-up doors in the sides, change length, windows.

If you want to use the 48', could two cans merge into the length of your trailer?

We own two 40' cans. As far as I know, they come in one width == 96".

Yes, strapping a can on your trailer is quick. They weigh around five ton empty. Could you benefit from designing a box to fit your trailer dimensions? Without the Conex baffles, this gives you at least an additional half-foot of interior...

LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote