Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #21

Thanks Sam! I decided actually, to install runners directly over the frame, then build the 2x6 floor on that, this way, I'll have air circulation under the framed floor. All my plumbing will be to the interior side the walls and yet hidden. I'll keep the phote's coming!

hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:52 PM   #22

In addition to the photos I recently added on page 2, I have acquired some ultra hard bamboo flooring which will be screwed down to the wood deck directly over the frame, then the floor joists will bear on those runners. Buying some 2x6 tomorrow to begin on the floor framing. I can't wait to be done with the floor! So can't wait!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #23

In addition to the photos I recently added on page 2......

I applied the bamboo flooring runners that my floor joists will sit on. As mentioned earlier, these stack directly over the frame, and are intended to keep the floor framing 3/8 of an inch of the already fiberglassed wood deck in the box. I have my rim and joists all cut to length. I ripped a crap ton of 7/16 X 7/16 wood strips that will be applied with glue and screws to the bottom side edges of the floor joists, to act as stops for the closed cell insulation. I'll be pre drilling those tomorrow, then ripping another batch. Photo's coming soon!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 AM   #24

Quiet honestly I would of went a different route of spray insulating and adding furring strips to increase the wall cavity. Though fiberglassing the floor is great idea what are you using, epoxy or polyester resin? Hopefully epoxy since it’s stronger... Ever heard of Sketchup or good with computers? I use the free trial version to draw my plans up and then compare them with measurements inside the rig.
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #25

Thank you! I had wanted to spray it originally but it was just cost prohibitive. The foam panels are essentially the same material (closed cell) but half the cost. It also allowed me to "buy in" with X amount of sheets and money spent at a time, whereas the sprayed would have been all up front. Just couldn't swing it. Other issue in my mind was the potential for leaks. I intend to do routine check overs for leakage, but just in case something ever did leak, the sprayed would harbor that moisture, but with the panels being 1/2 spaced off the outside, allows that moisture to escape and dry out without damaging the insulation or wood framing. The floor is epoxy with fiberglass weave mesh.

As regards my plan, I have it all in my head, and initially, I'm going to bring the exterior walls to an "FRP" finished state, then do the interior wallage.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #26

Sounds good and sounds like you not only mitigated from moisture damage but thermal bridging too of outside temperatures. Sounds like you know what you are doing unlike one forum I am on. What’s the outside dimensions of the trailer 96 or 102 inches, any plans of solar panels on the roof?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #27

Yes sir! I've been a builder for 35 years and certainly dealt with my share of rotten wood and mold issues. I'm also huge into advanced framing and insulation / energy conservation. My home has some innovations to it that are my passion.

The box, a Grumman, is 96 inches wide. I sure wish it was wider because I'm going to lose 8 inches with my walls.

Out of curiosity, what other related forums you belong to? Absolutely craving info and this forum is really got an echo in the halls!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo valley View Post
Yes sir! I've been a builder for 35 years and certainly dealt with my share of rotten wood and mold issues. I'm also huge into advanced framing and insulation / energy conservation. My home has some innovations to it that are my passion.

The box, a Grumman, is 96 inches wide. I sure wish it was wider because I'm going to lose 8 inches with my walls.

Out of curiosity, what other related forums you belong to? Absolutely craving info and this forum is really got an echo in the halls!

Don't have as many as years as you but I sure learn quick and know you got it going on right! Losing 8 inches isn't bad as I thought it was at one time then I ended up with a truck camper I'm living in and see it takes some getting used to. I'm over on cheaprvliving.com and some the things they are doing there make one scratch their head or think WTF? but can be comical too. So you are into passive solar homes too and such right? Advanced framing ah yes 24 OC with 2 x 6's or (2) 2 x 4 walls staggered 24 OC...
Old 06-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #29

Some of the joists with insulation stops. You can see the beads of glue laid down on the joists that the strips will set in.
Attached Thumbnails
pt88top.jpg   kyooryko.jpg   mailservice8ioto.jpg   mailservice.jpg  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #30

Attached additional bamboo strips that will rest under the joists.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #31

Although not attached yet...... I rolled all the floor joists into position. Need to build another 4 to finish that up. Will begin attaching things tonight.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo valley View Post
Although not attached yet...... I rolled all the floor joists into position. Need to build another 4 to finish that up. Will begin attaching things tonight.
Going to fiberglass the joists too or will they sit as is?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #33

Naw, I'm just gluing and pocket screwing them to the rim joists then upside down hangers using cabinet screws.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 AM   #34

Photo's coming soon...... Attached about half of the joists with glue and screwed hangers placed upside down. Looking sharp!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #35

Will be waiting for them. Seems this place is dead in the water and the number of people actually building something on here is just us two. At same time the number of people like us dwindle in this country too...
Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #36

I'm stalled out just starting a 1979 Dodge cube van conversion as the weather is crap and the fatso won't fit in the garage.

You two aren't alone. I just haven't got much to say.

Cheers,

G.
Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
I'm stalled out just starting a 1979 Dodge cube van conversion as the weather is crap and the fatso won't fit in the garage.

You two aren't alone. I just haven't got much to say.

Cheers,

G.
Welcome to the forum! How about some photo's?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #38

Ebay find. $2500. 7500 original miles.
40 years old. 440 cu in. 8.3 mpg. Drove it from California to Ontario.

Had carpenter ant damage. Roof leak. Mostly repaired. Rain keeping me down.

Bought RV windows and full door. All with screens.

Full appliance load from an old Sportsmobile going in it.

I'll start a build report soon.

Cheers,

G.Click image for larger version

Name:	00909_8CnR1Zj6noj_1200x900.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2963Click image for larger version

Name:	00505_lnbWF0oTawt_1200x900.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2964
Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #39

Nice score! I like the barn doors. If mine had barn doors instead of a roll up, I'd probably leave them in place. I had a bit of wood deck repair that I had to do on my truck, over one of the rear wheels. I biscuit jointed a piece of trex decking in place of the wood I cut out. Figured the plastic decking would hold up better. We'll see! Looking forward to keeping tabs on your build, as well as weldmans. Keep us informed!
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #40

Looks more solid than most cube vans I usually see, I like the barn doors just as hoodoo mentioned. If anything put a door in a barn door, but at all cost leave those on.