Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Hey Bushpilot, and anybody else, table leg modification (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/hey-bushpilot-anybody-else-table-leg-modification-6301/)

Bob86ZZ4 10-18-2012 08:15 PM

Hey Bushpilot, and anybody else, table leg modification

2 Attachment(s)
Don, I saw a picture of your dinette on the facebooker. I too had the flimsey folding metal leg on my dinette table. I was checking out a guy's camper awhile ago and he had made a very nice leg for his table. So, I copied it. He's not on any forums that I know of so I can't credit him. I used some 2" square steel tubing and a piece of steel plate. Cut them and welded them together. Drilled some holes to screw it to the base of the table. Spray paint it. Then get a railing post thingy at Lowe's or Home Depot. Stain it to match, then poly it. I had to sand down the top several inches on all four sides so it would slide into/out of the 2" tube. Cut to a proper length. Put a felt table leg cushion on the bottom so it won't scratch the floor. Works great. Just slide it out when you want to convert the table to a bed.

#90-GTSC 10-18-2012 09:21 PM

Bob ... take all the parts, pieces, and tools along to the rally's and shows and you'll have a nice little cottage industry!

hot rod 10-19-2012 01:44 AM

That's not a bad idea... you can have the brackets and legs all prepped and ready to go, just cut to length and you're in business. The brackets could be made very quickly per piece if you were doing a bunch at a time, and I'll bet the local wood shop could make up legs that are already the right size for a reasonable price as well. I'm thinking just square with maybe a little router work on the corners to make it easy. Ebay! Escapees! Finance that next trip!

I know that has to be a whole bunch better than the crappy folding leg on my table.

bushpilot 10-19-2012 08:37 AM

interesting mod....we use our table so little as it is that i never think about that pos leg.
i worry more about the wall anchors, the way people pull themselves out of the "booth" by grabbing the table.

id be more interested in this mod, IF so much of the metal "socket" werent showing or wasnt metal/black....maybe able to paint it and and put a faux wood grain on it.

Bob86ZZ4 10-19-2012 07:46 PM

I'm sure it would be plenty strong with a much shorter metal tube. I guess I wasn't thinking much about how it would look since I'm all about over building everything. And you could certainly paint it a color to match the woodwork.

I'm way too lazy to build these for others. One of you guys should take my idea and market it.

blizzardND 10-20-2012 11:49 PM

a real craftsman would have bought a female maniquin leg off ebay, then put a black knot stocking and a bright ass pink 5" pump shoe to keep from scratching the floor. then you'd be styling!

-blizz

#90-GTSC 10-21-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizzardND (Post 39389)
a real craftsman would have bought a female maniquin leg off ebay, then put a black knot stocking and a bright ass pink 5" pump shoe to keep from scratching the floor. then you'd be styling!

-blizz

I see a complete rebuild of the table leg in the near future!

volvoman 10-22-2012 05:58 PM

you nd guys think a little different the us mid west guys. but i'm sure you have more fun also.

hot rod 10-23-2012 05:00 PM

They gotta do something in the winter to not be bored up there.

Bob86ZZ4 04-29-2018 09:30 PM

Hey Don Bushpilot, I did also do something to further stabilize the table. I put steel wire and turnbuckles on it to stop it from moving back and forth. Now it's real stable. And it's easy to loosen those turnbuckles and unhook the hooks when we need to drop the table to bed position. Now let's see if I can get a picture of that to post here.

Bob86ZZ4 04-29-2018 09:32 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zvsqkqELLaJONKP13

Bob86ZZ4 04-29-2018 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope, didn't work. Let's try to post a picture this way.

Bob86ZZ4 04-29-2018 09:37 PM

Wow, I got it. There are two of these hook/turnbuckle things. One near each of the crappy original bracket things.

bushpilot 04-29-2018 09:59 PM

that looks nice