Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Hey all,
i just bought a 2000 international 4700 24' box truck which this winter i plan to turn into a toy hauler for my race bikes but i am having a hard time finding insurance geico wanted to give me a commericial policy for like 5k a year which is ridicilous seeing that i only paid a little over 6 for the truck. and i started a online policy with progresive and listed it as a "converted bus for rec use" and when they looked up the VIN they cancled the policy. i need to have this insured (live in VA) and would like to get this figured out ASAP the progresive quote before they cancled it was only like 250 for the hole year (liability only) do i have to get the truck retitled as a RV? how does one go about doing that? any info would be great!!! the truck is empty currently and i hope to start the buildin in the next couple of weeks. i plan to put a small kitchenette and elec in along with a/c and heat. and partitioning a garage area off in the back for the bikes and gear. thanks

boxtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #2

Hey Boxtrucker,
I did the very same thing last year. Mine is converted, but not finished. I'm not sure they are ever finished. I am in Ohio and here is what I did (after many phone calls and headaches):

1) got commercial insurance till I got the minimum requirements for a re-title

2) The requirements here are bed, cooking, refrigeration, and toilet. (if I remember correct)

3) went to registrar and filled out some paperwork to get it re-titled as a motorhome.

4) called insurance company and changed to RV insurance. I have full coverage for less than commercial liability.

I used State Farm Insurance.

I just did what you are looking for, so if you have any questions for me, go ahead and contact me. I most of my answers here. These guys know there stuff.

Doc Weaver

Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #3

does anyone happen to know what VA requirements are? i am having trouble finding them
Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

I did a Volvo VNL770 used Bennets Law Firm in Montana, they are very helpful. You would have it coverted with a couple faxes and a Express mail !!!
I was shocked how easy it was...
Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #5

burt chapman

can you message me this info? would it be valid for VA?? i am starting my project here in the next 2weeks and i wanna know if i can get it retitled so i dont do all this work for nothing. thanks