Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-31-2002, 07:51 PM   #1

what is the approximate expected fuel mileage from one of the Volvos Larry(onezman) sells or from other rigs on here if with a box like warpaths considering I've been looking at renegade and other conversions and am considering doing one myself. thnx

l8rg8rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:31 PM   #2

When I bob-tailed up to Show Hauler and back (540 miles) I used approxiamately 40 to 45 gallons of fuel. I do not have a computer like the newer Volvo's and I fill the tanks to 95% so this is not super accurate. That is approx 12 to 13.5 miles to the gallon and was consistent with the 2 fill ups I made during the summer. I don't think it ever fell below 3/4 of tank.

I can't imagine I will drop below 10 mpg with the conversion on. I have twin 150 tanks which I really like, I don't have to worry about fuel on most all outings. And I really don't mind the thought of carry fuel which may not get used. My mileage would not increase all that much that it would offset worrying about where to get fuel in a strange place.

What method are you going to use to build your own, Steel or FRP?

Any details would be great for others as well as I would love to see the progression of the project. I originally considered doing a unit on my own, and I am glad I did not. There are a ton of items I never considered when I began to plan the conversion, you may have more experience in fabricating than I do. Once I fabricated a new interior in my truck I was really glad I chose not to do it. Just would have taken way to long for me to finish it.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 1/10/03 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:31 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by l8rg8rz:
what is the approximate expected fuel mileage from one of the Volvos Larry(onezman) sells or from other rigs on here if with a box like warpaths considering I've been looking at renegade and other conversions and am considering doing one myself. thnx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

18rg8rz,

I got about 12 to 12.5 MPG bobtailing, and 10 to 10,5 MPG towing my triple axle Alfa Gold. I had 5 different Volvos with Cummins M11s 400 HP. They all got about the same mileage.

I now have a 610 Volvo with a Cummins N14 ESP+, 435 HP, 1550 torque. I haven't driven it enough to know what the fuel mileage is, but I am pretty sure it will average about 10 MPG overall.

If you not have seen my latest conversion on the URL below, you might take a look. The Volvo pictured has been sold, but I have a second identical one availiable now.

I had it sold too, but the buyer backed out today. He said his company was tied to Enron and his future did not look too bright. Of course he knew that when he agreed to buy it in the first place.

This Volvo is identical to the one on the URL below. It was manufactured the same month for the same leasing Company. This Volvo has a 2 year/200K mile warranty for main engine components from Cummins.

The transmission and rear axle are covered by their manufacturers warranty which includes all parts ane labor until June of 2003.

Note! With a dial up connection, the site loads very slowly.

http://onezman.tripod.com/igotyourrvhaulerrighthere/

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 09:50 AM   #4

I am still a considerable time away from actually beginning the project as I am still looking at whats going on here and seeing what is reasonably possible. My wife and I own a sheet metal roofing company and i know many fabricators that would be able to bend the components necessary for the wall structure, holding tanks for liquids etc Im after a dual tandem for added stopping ability along with traction as I dont want to consider the idea of overweighting the truck. We have five kids to fit in there so i want some slideouts for added comfort. Also Ive noticed Renegade, Trendsetter, etc dont have a cab over bunk WITH a forward looking window and Ive wondered why. Can only think they dont want people up there when truck in motion and potentially hitting a tree branch knocking out the window or something. I remember going camping when small and getting up there and being able to see where we were going and how interesting it was for me. Any way Im rambling
Seriously considering the volvo w computer dual tandem maybe without sleeper so I dont have to work too hard to get it off or integrate it purchase sometime in spring 03 get the frame stretched and get the exterior done by fall so I can work the inside during the cool/cold weather and be out seeing the country during kids christmas break 03-04
Old 11-10-2002, 01:35 PM   #5

forgot to ans. warpaths ?? I will probably use .040 alum on skin and .063 or even better on roof as I would like to use roof for a sort of deck I can buy 4' wide any length of alum in about 30 colors, only worry is seams on roof. I wonder about welding them if it will create an expansion/contraction problem. Also will put on roving dss and a/c units into the mix on roof so there will be many penetrations to cope with. I dont know much about FRP and havent worked with it. I realize it could give a cleaner look without all the rivets but lack of knowledge there is a problem What are the benefits of it??