Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Frankenstein (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/frankenstein-7841/)

Weldman 07-22-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48677)
Right on! Glad you got things where you can at least "run with it" and see how things go. I sure enjoy driving my truck, though lately it's only been around the yard the past two years! Should be road worthy next summer I sure hope.

Actually this is my “2nd” time to “just run with it” all the progress besides loading it up on the truck was after I “ran with it”. What is your towing rig? The cab on this one is rotting out and the frame isn’t too healthy, though my next round will be another beverage truck again. Love this drop frame setup with ability to make underneath storage, I can fit in places and easy on fuel.

hoodoo valley 07-22-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldman (Post 48678)
and easy on fuel.

What do you get in terms of mileage? I'm at about 10 with the DTA 360.

samcrimm 07-23-2019 10:03 PM

That's lot of work but it looks great! I use the GPS in my pad that I nav. with for my speed, the speedo is not too far off a couple of mph.

Weldman 07-24-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48679)
What do you get in terms of mileage? I'm at about 10 with the DTA 360.

Around 8 mpg with DT466 on 4:89 gears.

Weldman 07-24-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samcrimm (Post 48683)
That's lot of work but it looks great! I use the GPS in my pad that I nav. with for my speed, the speedo is not too far off a couple of mph.

Thanks!
Using a iPad myself navigating, makes life easier than a stand alone GPS.

bushpilot 07-29-2019 09:08 AM

I like the line-lock idea, and you can apply it to al the brakes too!

Weldman 07-29-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 48697)
I like the line-lock idea, and you can apply it to al the brakes too!

That’s what I did and helps a lot.
Also while going down the road the axle splitter motor plug came loose due to previous owner just unplugged it and left it that way instead of fixing it. Fun trying to get up the Continental Divide without it so I hard wired it with heat shrink butt splices. Next leg of my trip I will test it out.
Besides that I picked up some Redwood for counter tops will install that at my destination, and picked up 4 more golf cart batteries for my solar, 670 ah in total. Just need two more solar panels too..

Weldman 07-29-2019 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going down the road looking like 21st century Beverly Hillbillies :D

hoodoo valley 07-29-2019 08:59 PM

So long as it suits and is paid off, I wouldn't care what others think.

Weldman 07-30-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48702)
So long as it suits and is paid off, I wouldn't care what others think.

I’m not not worried on its looks, I get so many heads turning intrigued on what it is I damn near cause accidents. Bought 4 new 6 volt batteries now running 430ah in series/parallel connection I don’t have to worry about running low if the sun doesn’t come up the next morning before I get up. Though seems I will need 400 more watts of solar.:cool:

Weldman 08-04-2019 12:52 AM

Made it to point B, managed to hit a deer the last few hours of driving right outside of Cle Elum. Doing about 60 mph on impact, slung it across the road I stopped and someone else did, but hauled ass after I climbed out the truck with shotgun in hand to put it out of its misery, guess I scared them. Anywho drug it out the road and put a bullet in its head just minor fender damage, would of kept some of the meat but freezer was full from one of its relatives.

Weldman 09-29-2019 12:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Have ripped the solar system out now getting ready to go to 24v. Built some solar racks to hold 6 panels a piece of two of them so 12 solar panels and looking for more room to put at least 6 more. Now it’s time to mount the panels...

Weldman 09-29-2019 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the other panels that need to move to the rack, my old setup on the back of the truck.

hoodoo valley 09-30-2019 03:24 AM

Looks like a very nice set up.

Weldman 09-30-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48797)
Looks like a very nice set up.

Thanks, when done the 2 panel racks of 12 panels will go over the two fuel tanks you see in the back. When fully fueled I can access my home from anywhere in the country without stopping. Now where can I put 6 more :rolleyes:

Also need to get 4 to 8 more batteries...:eek:

hoodoo valley 10-24-2019 10:12 AM

Did you get things installed yet WM? Eagerly awaiting photos! :)

Weldman 10-24-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48825)
Did you get things installed yet WM? Eagerly awaiting photos! :)

Nope cause I have to rip everything out again due to needing to get my CDL driving part done so I stopped as I’m using my truck for the CDL. Which means camper has to come off too somehow over the two tanks of diesel in the back. Then I have to drive from Olympic Peninsula to Montana to take it, oh the joys I might be using my snow chains.

hoodoo valley 10-26-2019 06:31 AM

Oh joy!:) Can you use some sort of camper jacks? I know you're a bit higher than standard, but still.

Weldman 10-26-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48832)
Oh joy!:) Can you use some sort of camper jacks? I know you're a bit higher than standard, but still.

Nope cause camper jacks stick off to the side of the truck bed on regular setups. This truck bed is wider than the camper, though I could build some to extend outwards, problem is portability. So as in post #4 is how it has to come off, I have built taller saw horses this time around so we will see :eek: Maybe I should post pictures as it comes along...

Weldman 12-07-2019 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Captain logs Stardate 201912.7 Got camper off went and got my CDL finished up now hold a Class A. Before putting camper back on I laid a roll of EPDM down on the deck to waterproof below, found some 3/16 90 mil and it's working as I type.
Anywho for the picture of the harrowing experience taking the camper off the rig here you go.....:eek: