Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Family Truckster (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/family-truckster-7700/)

GUNGUY 06-08-2017 11:54 AM

Family Truckster

2 Attachment(s)
I'm new here so thought I would post the truck I just bought a few weeks back to get started. I have been looking at other builds on here and figured I need a project.

GUNGUY 06-08-2017 12:52 PM

Starting the DEMO

2 Attachment(s)
The back end wasn't very well put together so I started there some pics from two weekends ago.

GUNGUY 06-08-2017 01:01 PM

More demo and frame extentions

4 Attachment(s)
Still some demo to go however after I started cutting got the deal of the year on a trailer in TX so I had to step things up.

GUNGUY 06-08-2017 01:04 PM

Make it so it can tow

4 Attachment(s)
I got it back together enough to go pick up the trailer

Bob86ZZ4 06-09-2017 09:01 AM

Looks good! Thanks for joining and posting. I have almost no fabrication skills so I love seeing other people's work.

bushpilot 06-09-2017 09:19 AM

love the steps! Welcome!

Bob86ZZ4 06-09-2017 09:26 AM

I've also got no engineering skills. Just wondering about that receiver hitch? Would some lateral members running from the frame rails down to that lower cross bar (where the receiver is mounted) make sense? Provide more support to that lower section? Just seems like that might strengthen that hitch a bit?

GUNGUY 06-09-2017 09:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the welcome guys. Still lots to do, the inside is just a box with carpet and walls. I am going gut it and built it all back up.

Next project I'm relocating the generation to the back between the frame rails with a custom fuel cell and storage on the left side and battery trays, invert, shore power set up on the right side. Next few weekends our booked so it will be few weeks.

Here are a few pics of the trailer I picked up and my co-pilot for the TX run.

GUNGUY 06-09-2017 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 (Post 47191)
I've also got no engineering skills. Just wondering about that receiver hitch? Would some lateral members running from the frame rails down to that lower cross bar (where the receiver is mounted) make sense? Provide more support to that lower section? Just seems like that might strengthen that hitch a bit?

They are in the plan.

I am closing the back all the way across with a center door and slider set up for the generator and side doors on the right and left where I will put the fuel cell, batteries, and such. When I finish the framing I will add some struts to tie the frame into the lower bumper section. I place to have them split seam of the original frame and extensions and tie them together. I also have some plates we cut to double up the sides of that connection. The deck comes off as a separate piece from the back boxes and extensions. I did temperately weld them for the run to Texas and only used the goose neck set up.

Here is pic of the deck attachments and the well for the ball

samcrimm 06-09-2017 09:35 PM

Glad your with us and your rig is looking good, love your pictures too. Post some of your truck house, What size gen are you going to use? And what are you going to do with your rv when your finished? I use mine as a camper and pull a toad. Trying to figure out how to get more stuff on board, enclosed or open 20 to who knows what.
Sam

bushpilot 06-12-2017 12:14 PM

welcome!

whats up w/ the light (mounted on the A pillar) next to your co-pilot?

https://www.truckconversion.net/forum...7&d=1497018510

GUNGUY 06-12-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 47202)
welcome!

whats up w/ the light (mounted on the A pillar) next to your co-pilot?

https://www.truckconversion.net/forum...7&d=1497018510

There are four total one at each A pillar and two on the ceiling by the pass through. They have red bulbs so you don't loose you night vision if you need to locate something in the cab at night while driving. They were in the truck when I bought it. I have used them a few time now and they are handy.

bushpilot 06-12-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUNGUY (Post 47204)
There are four total one at each A pillar and two on the ceiling by the pass through. They have red bulbs so you don't loose you night vision if you need to locate something in the cab at night while driving. They were in the truck when I bought it. I have used them a few time now and they are handy.

makes sense.

ours was built/equipped with similar driver/passenger lighting (over each seat) - one white & one red (separate push to activate lens').

We also have (factory equipped) RED floor lighting which can be activated by a dash switch....Ive converted the floor lighting to RED LED (theyre your typical trailer/marker lights).

I added RED led lighting (along w/ while) under the toe kick in the rear of the coach....so if someone needs to be in "the house" they can turn on the RED lights (at night) and keep from blinding the driver w/ glare reflected off the windshield.

GUNGUY 06-12-2017 06:48 PM

I may switch to LEDs the truck is a 2006 however it has some retro 80's feel about it. Kinda like some of it however might be cool to step it up a bit.

bushpilot 06-12-2017 06:50 PM

interesting, ours in a 04, but its a Columbia.

GUNGUY 06-13-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 47207)
interesting, ours in a 04, but its a Columbia.

We have owned a couple of FL120's and a FL70 Sport Chassis. Also, had a K600 and K900.

This is our first International. Very happy so far. Only issue was the engine harness was in pretty bad shape so the thing was throwing warning lights left and right $600 for the harness and another $500 for all new sensors and she is right as rain.

GUNGUY 06-26-2017 08:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I got a few hours in on the rear storage compartments. We have been way to busy at the shop to steal any time on machines during the week so everything has to be done on the weekend for awhile. With the log weekend coming up I hope to get the slides and draws fabricated for the batteries and generator. Then I can work on the wiring and plumbing at the shop at the house.

bushpilot 06-26-2017 08:51 AM

that would/will make some nice pass thru storage - Then I could fit my 25 ft (telescoping) flag pole in that :D

GUNGUY 06-30-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 47247)
that would/will make some nice pass thru storage - Then I could fit my 25 ft (telescoping) flag pole in that :D

This one won't be a pass through. I will have 12' long boxes down both side with partial a pass through in front. Going to work on her over the weekend, hope its not too hot.