Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Expanding a sport

I'm wanting to expand and extend the rear frame on a freightliner haulmark sportdeck toter. We don't use it for pulling trailers and could use the space. I'm wanting to extend the frame 5' and that would let me add 13' of box space. My main question for now is the exterior walls. I want to use the same thing as it has now and don't know if the exterior walls come preformed- fiberglass, plywood and foam insulation or if they are assemble during construction. I would much rather find them predone so I can just cut to size and cut out the opening. Any help is much appreciated. Also what's the easiest way to post pics
Thanks

Integrusllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

Welcome!

Maybe a silly question, but a factory toterhome should bring a decent price, why not sell it and buy a non toter unit already done? Those toterhomes are great for what they are intended for, towing a gooseneck trailer, but the floor plan really suffers as a result, even if you add a room. Sounds like you have FRP walls, which are prefab. Check out kenn's build thread, he built a whole truck conversion out of that and you can see what he had to do. You can order the panels already to your sizes, just add window and door openings.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It's actually my girlfriends rig and best we could do is break even with the payoff and she is attached to it. She has a large car hauler we pull with it -we race sxs, quads and dirtbikes out of it all on the same weekend. The lay out is fine we could just use an extra bedroom and more storage. The existing walls look like they are fiberglass, then plywood and the styrofoam. If I can order these can someone provide a source?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

You're going to destroy it trying to cut off the back wall of the existing living quarters and trying to build sides, roof, and new back wall on. Is that what you're proposing? Maybe I'm confused (quite common for me).
Old 03-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Not planning on removing rear wall. I can relocate the bath sink and just cut out a doorway where the existing sink is to access the rear addition. Of course still have to sell it to her but want to have all my info first
Old 03-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Well, I think it's a terrible idea. Those FRP panels are going to be destroyed and they'll de-laminate. It's going to cost you a ton more than selling that rig and buying what you want. It's going to take many many hours to build. It'll look like crap and nobody will ever buy it when you do decide to try to sell it (I know, she loves the truck and will never sell it, heard that one before).
Old 03-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #7

Wow, strong opinion there. Since you have voiced your opinion and haven't offered anything helpful please don't respond anymore
Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #8

Wow, sorry if I offended you. I thought you asked for advice but now that I re-read your first post I see you asked for help. I will offer you something helpful: don't do it. Buy a truck that fits your wants and needs. And sell the one you've got. I know it's not the help you're looking for. But that's the help I'm offering. Now I won't respond anymore as you have requested.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Well, I think it's a terrible idea. Those FRP panels are going to be destroyed and they'll de-laminate. It's going to cost you a ton more than selling that rig and buying what you want. It's going to take many many hours to build. It'll look like crap and nobody will ever buy it when you do decide to try to sell it (I know, she loves the truck and will never sell it, heard that one before).
Sorry, he may be harsh, but he's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Welcome!
Sounds like you have FRP walls, which are prefab. Check out kenn's build thread, he built a whole truck conversion out of that and you can see what he had to do. You can order the panels already to your sizes, just add window and door openings.
There is your panel source.
Kenn has a very detailed thread. I believe he has been almost 3 years with it, in an enclosed shop.

Welcome to the site, have any pictures too share ?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

A few pictures would definitely help. Might get a few other ideas from it then.
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #11

I guess I'm not seeing the difficulty of it. I own a construction co and am also a fabricator. I'm only making one opening in the existing rear wall and it will be a cased out door opening. unless there is something I'm missing I don't see how that is going to have an affect on delaminating and destroying the whole thing. I guess I don't see a difference than cutting in the windows on the new panels. It would be a winter project between our race season. Guess I wasn't looking for a why not to do it as much is help to figure out cost and material I'll need- wall panels being the biggest unknown. I have already built out 3 sprinter vans and this just made sense to me. When I get some mock ups I'll post them. Where can I find kens build?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #12

Kenn's build thread - go to forums, then "coach in the making" and look for the "frame welding" thread by kenn. Great build up thread with very detailed photos and step by step on the FRP construction. He did the whole coach, you are only doing 1/2.

You may want to refrain from blowing off a senior contributor that always has good and reasonable advice for folks on the forum. Even if Bob wasn't personally insulted, I was for him. You lost a good resource there.

I don't think anybody here is out to actually prevent you from doing the work yourself, but as most of us have been involved in a build at some level, we generally try to make sure you know what you are getting into. The general consensus is that whatever time and money you budget for the project, double both. Personally I say triple the time and double the money, but most will tell you double. I am thinking you will get plenty of good advice here on the forum. Send us some pictures and a sketch of what you have in mind.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

I wasn't trying to insult anyone but I've been on enough forums to know that they can get sidetracked very quickly. I really didn't want it turned into a debate about what I should do or how stupid everyone thought what I am wanting to do is. One thing I've learn from being a builder is sometimes it's more about what the client wants or suits thier needs more so than resale value. I am just looking for info on how to do it.
Thanks for your input
Old 03-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

I live near Madison, Wi.... Their they manufacture the FRP panels for Morgan. Not sure of other manufacturing companies closer to you of the material? Price wise is kind of pricey. I was looking for a sheet of 8 foot wide by 28 feet long and I believe it was around $2k. If I were you I might look for a small FRP box and cut out what you need from it? Another option would be to build your structure out of what you feel most comfortable with, wood, steel, aluminum, skin it like a camper with plywood and then glue your own Filon on to the exterior.

I like your idea and agree you wouldn't be disturbing the integrity of the existing box anymore than cutting a window or door out. One thing I have done on my FRP build is anytime I cut into it, I urethane the bare wood. By doing this I am trying to seal up the wood so if water ever did get to it I would hope it would help repel it from getting in between the panel and delaminating. You can look at my build titled "45 foot T2000 Conversion with Camper".

Steve
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #15

Thanks Steve. After going through kens build I found a company that makes the front panels in oh.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #16

Default Frp

It seems that the term FRP is used for many materials. The FRP that I used is made by Fibertech is Spokane Wa. I think they have a plant in Ohio also. I used 1/2" for the walls and 3/8" for my roof. My FRP has fiberglass on each side of plywood with no foam. It guts just like wood. It sounds like yours has foam. Have you tried to contact Haulmark and see if they might have more info on what they use? I know that Renagade uses the same as mine except thicker, I think 3/4". They don't use a frame and I used 2" sq tube for the frame. I spent a lot of time putting 3 coats of epoxy on all the raw edges to prevent water damage. Good luck

Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote