Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #1

As a owner of multiple dogs, I generally take them everywhere I go. I enjoy their company.

Wondering if anyone has designed the interior of their rig to include dog kennels?

I was thinking of a diner booth that could hold 2 dogs under the bench portion of each seat and possibly a third kennel in the center by dropping the table down to make a ceiling and adding a front door so they can't escape. A person could also sleep on top of the diner.

I have a medium 60lb er and a larger 90lb er. The 90lb er seems to fit well in a kennel thats 30-36" high x 28-30 wide x 42-48" deep. That size allows him to stand up, turn around...He would probablly prefer 36" in the height and width and 48 in length, but it appears that he is comfortable in the smaller version.

I know that 36" is a bit high for a booth type seat in a diner but you could always add a raised floor in the center area so your feet can remain on a solid surface.

And 30" high is just fine. He just can't stand at full height. But they usually are lying down and only stand to turn around...

Any dog owners with any floor plans?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:43 PM   #2

.....can't help you there BravenstDog ...my coon hound has the run of the Volvo cab with his own platform seat and the whole trailer....[He don't "cotton" to no kennels real good!]....He would rather be on the truck bed barking at everything and everyone but that's just too dangerous. I don't let him lean out of the windows while we are on the road he might just make a "leap of faith"....which he has been known to do when on scent.....though most of the time he is asleep in the bunk untill I slow down to make a stop them he wakes up and checks out the view.....somewhere around 1550 RPMS he gets real sleepy.....geof kaye

Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 PM   #3

I think this thread has really gone to the dogs....(snicker! yuk,snort!)
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:32 PM   #4

My concern is that a dog can be a very large and heavy projectile if you are involved in a sudden stop situation. Maybe enough to actually kill anyone in its path as it hurtles forward.

The dog's safest place is either in a fixed kennel or as far forward as possible or locked in the bedroom/bathroom. Basically anywhere that contains the animal. Cats can also make a mess of you with their claws as they try to grab hold of anything as they go past.

This all falls into the same safety category of tying things down before travelling down the highway.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:13 AM   #5

BravestDog, some of the dog show people and breeders use a motorhome with garage to store multiple dogs inside their kennels, either strapped down or permanently in place. A normal garage unit works as long as there is an air conditioner (or prepped for one) and a fan-tastic fan or two.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #6

Bravestdog
our truck is a "dogs kennel" on wheels (at least thats what our dog "Leon" thinks )

he loves to be in the truck (if we have a T-storm the only place where he feels safe is in the truck )
during travel Leon`s place is sleeping right behind the driver seat with his back at the "step" where the sleeper and cab meet. looks like a safe place for a dog. if we go slow he likes to ride the air seat (he does not care if somebody is already sitting there; thats a 100 lbs lap dog )

btw Leon is a "Berger de brie" aka Briard (french sheep dog)

-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote