Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   DESIGN FOR A BULL BAR FOR A VOLVO 610 (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/design-bull-bar-volvo-610-a-4075/)

KAYERIVERCITY 06-12-2004 10:39 PM

ANYONE RUN ACROSS A PIX OF A BULL BAR FOR A VOLVO 610 THAT I CAN COPY.....BEEN THINKIN' ON IT FOR A WEEK NOW AND HAVEN'T GOT A GOOD IDEA....GEOF

OLDphoneman 06-13-2004 09:12 AM

Geof --

What comes to mind is the Australian Truck Trains. Here's Yahoo's search link to get you started on your quest .......

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=aus...t&cop=mss&tab=

I'll leave the light on ......... :^)

Dave

KAYERIVERCITY 06-18-2004 09:14 PM

Dave: I finally got the A/C-heat unite fron SCS Frigette. It was the second one as the first was crushed by a fork lift truck at their dock.....Con-Way {CCX}OY!...What can I say?...Saturday and Sunday are going to be good days to do the install-I have the DOT Enforcement guy and his son coming to help with the bed and they can do the cut outs for the A/C unite as well...There are very few instructions with the unite so the instal will be tricky....Thanks for the A/C tip-it is 9000 BTU's and I figure that is twice as much as I need for a meat locker.....geof- [don't leave the light on just quite yet I'm getting to the point that I hit things at nite...2 deer this year-good thing my trucks have devices on the front ends...called DDRD's..."Deer Damage Reduction Devices" in insurance company lingo....since they will not allow heavy aftermarket bumpers with out a $70 a year premium increase....but they love the idea that I can avoid deer damage with my DDRD's-now I have to come up with one for the Volvo.....]

smokin 06-22-2004 08:52 AM

Geof - I passed a Volvo last week on the highway going the other way that had one heck of a bull bar. From what I could see in passing it looked like it attached to the bumper and went around the headlights and followed the line of the grill to the top of hood. Looked like it was made from aluminum and looked quite substantial. Looked pretty sharp blended in nice with the rest of the truck and if I recall it was in Ohio where I saw it. Sure wish the truck was stopped somewhere so I could have checked it out better. Sorry I can't be of more help but thay are out there and available somewhere.

KAYERIVERCITY 06-22-2004 10:40 PM

THANKS FOR THE TRY!SMOKIN....ANY IDEAS HELP.....GEOF

5erFool (John) 06-23-2004 09:06 AM

Geof,John
I think I saw the same volvo yesterday coming home from Indy... the only thing that didn't look right was the cross bar was horizontal...need to be in line with the diagonal bar on the grill.. otherwise looked substantial..sorry it was going the other way for me too.
John

KAYERIVERCITY 06-23-2004 11:26 PM

John-geof....thanks for the heads up.....my sketch improved immediatly using your suggestion. At this time I have the bed built and an working on the hitch and rear end of the truck.....the butt plate is 1 inch thick and we are having a grunting contest here moving it around...pix to follow some day soon....My girls are busting their butts on this one as well as the guys..when they get around to having some time to work on the truck with me....keep looking for "Bull Bar" Ideas and send them along-whacking deer in Mariemont and Indian Hill is expensive and they are all over the place.....saw two tonite at 11:00 pm on the way to dinner....geof

smokin 06-24-2004 12:18 PM

Geof I am keeping the camera ready and hoping to click a pic of one. I am now a man on a mission https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...icon_smile.gif Hope someone posts a pic soon

KAYERIVERCITY 06-24-2004 09:58 PM

THANKS SMOKIN'....I'AM A WAITIN' BEFORE I START A WELDIN'....geof

5erFool (John) 06-26-2004 04:07 PM

Geof,John
Well you might not beleive this but.... He XYL and I went to northern Indiana this wk to meet Lonnie.... I FORGOT MY CAMARA... big dummie... not only did I forget the darned thing but I passed a 770 with THE push bar... saw three others also.. I slowed down and let him catch up and pass so I could check it out (at 65+).. It is a complete aluminum bumper with what appears to be 2.5 inch aluminum.. round stock or tubing..(of course I couldn't tell which under those conditions) Welded to the bumper.. again the rectangle in front of the grill with the two horizontal bars and the two small rectangles in front of the fenders/headlights...
seems a bit flimsy to me.. if you consider the force of an animal at highway speeds.. and I don't know how he opens the hood.. maybe the bumper is set up to pivot on the lower mounts with a quick disconnect arrangement on the upper mounts...???? I figure on building a cow catcher at least six foot out in front of the bumper and just a few inches off the pavement and a arrangement something like theirs except attached to the cow catcher so they form triangles for strength... think of an early locomotive... after all I am from southern Illinois.. just a couple of counties from POPE county.... deer are like the mosquitoes.. plentiful and nearly the same size LOL LOL
see you soon.

KAYERIVERCITY 06-26-2004 08:50 PM

.....There might be an insurance company issue here as with my personal vehicle insurance.....that being I can't have a heavy duty bumper on my pickup without paying an extra premium of about $70 a year IIRC....anyway they will allow a DDRD [Deer Damage Reduction Device].....so you know what my bumper is called?....that's right DDRD....it attaches to the frame under the front end....my stock bumper is in the oem place and the DDRD is infront of it......they took a pix and approved it....what can I say?.....geof

5erFool (John) 06-27-2004 04:36 PM

geof,
seems to me there should be a premium reduction for you protecting their investment..lol we know better though.. right?
John

KAYERIVERCITY 06-27-2004 09:24 PM

....John....from the insurance companies stand point...It's a liability....the average cost of repairs in USA for all vehicles for a year is about $15.00 per vehicle....Much more is paid out for personal injury and defending the driver when in a accident....with the bumper on my truck- I probably won't sustain much damage but the other guy is going to get a whackin'...big time....so I guess the cost of protecting myself/vehicle has to be viewed from their perspective....Which is just another reason why I want NO-FAULT in Ohio.....but the trial attorneys would have to get another job...like maybe being bathroom attendants or something like that...geof

5erFool (John) 06-28-2004 06:46 AM

Goef... if that happens I will be even more happy to use the bathroom in my MH
John

KAYERIVERCITY 06-28-2004 09:38 PM

....next thing that is coming is NO humor on the forum....after that will be Nop lawyer diss-ing or bad mouthing insurance companies so we best stay on topic before the chit hits the fan.....back to bullbars.....anyone \have pix or designs send them along to me and I will send the money for a pix/design.....I'm getting closer to having to do something up front....geof

Warpath 06-29-2004 12:37 PM

Here ya go Bull Bars gallore -->

https://www.hankstruckpictures.com/evan_richards.htm

KAYERIVERCITY 06-29-2004 09:36 PM

Warpath - I fired off am E-mail for a better perspective of a Volvo truck with a bull bar......pix to follow....I know- I know -I'm just a little behind on the paperwork/pix.....geof

smokin 06-30-2004 06:06 AM

Looks like thoose would kill a bull. Almost look like dozer blades on the front. Not quite as nice as the one I mentioned I saw.

KAYERIVERCITY 06-30-2004 04:49 PM

.....a new hood aftermarket would cost me $1100 out the door so a few bucks on a BULL BAR would be a step in the right direction I believe....geof

Warpath 07-15-2004 01:35 PM

Geof -

Got your pics and will work on scanning some in next week (leaving for the races tonight)

Where did you get all of the helpers?

Bill