Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Toterhome Update

Just got the Truck back frome the paint shop. Built and installed generator and battery box. Completed framing in slideouts. The box is sitting on my homemade roll around stand for ease of construction. Received the slideout assy's from Liftco. I like the looks of the slideouts but their installation instructions are very poor. They could use a good technical writer. Just have to figure them out. Installing the sheet metal on the front of the box next so can put the box back on the truck. MMM
Attached Thumbnails
Toter update 005.jpg   Toter update 006.jpg   Toter update 007.jpg  

mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

Looks great.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #3

You mentioned on my thread you were working on a similar project as I am, and you are definitely right. Mine won't be as complicated with the slides though, and a little lighter duty on my GMC 6500 chassis. Same toterhome setup though. Most of the other guys on there are doing full length truck conversions and have room to burn compared to us. Looks like you are making good progress. I seem to recognize the shop in the background from crawling on the web sometime back, do you have some other pics posted where I can get a look? Particularly interested in the box framework as it looks like you already did what I have planned out. Looks like you used 2x2 square tubing walls and roof? and 2x3 along the bottom? what about the main rails on top of the truck chassis? Any help appreciated.

Thanks! Dave
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Dave,
Look under the forum heading "Coach in the making", thread is framing the outer walls.Those pictures were from a few months back. The box and bed were on the truck for a "clearance check" since I built them off the truck.

The floor is 2x4 11ga outer frame,floor joist are 2x3 11ga,walls and roof are 2x2 14 ga, roof outer frame 2x3 14ga. Skirts/toolboxes are 1.5 x 1.5 14ga. The box and bed have two 3x3 x .375 angle iron welded to the floor frame. The angle sits on top of mounts on the truck just like the factory sleepers are mounted . The box has six mounts and the bed has four. The mounts have rubber bushings that allow for frame twist and help isolate road vibrations. Most of the Toter's I looked at used a 1x4 on top of the truck frame rail and u-bolts like utility boxes are mounted. That also allows for frame twist. I just liked the way the factory mounted the sleeper. Just do not bolt it directly to the frame as it will shear the bolts or brake the mount. My neighbor has a factory built toter similar to what I am building.The 14ft box is bolted directly to the frame. At least twice a year he brings it over to replace the sheared bolts or reweld the mounts. The company that built it is no longer exists. I'll try to get a picture of the mounts posted.
Michael
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

Michael-

Thanks, I'll find that thread. I know I have run across it in the past, but could not find it again. I was planning on the U-bolt and wood (or composite) insulator method. Always worked well on our truck bodies on our medium duty delivery trucks. And simple. Your tubing sizes are pretty much what I had in mind, but a little heavier in places. I guess you can't make it too strong, and you have the chassis where a few extra pounds aren't going to be noticed. Plus I'm guessing you are compensating somewhat for the big ass holes where your slides are going.

Thanks again.

Dave
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Another update. After six months off to help a friend build a new house I am again making progress. All wiring installed. FRP installed on inside walls. Front and rear skins installed. Need to skin the sides and install the roof next. Then build and install slideouts. I now fully understand what "Engineering on the Fly" means. Wife says it must be finished and debugged before she retires next year. MMM
Attached Thumbnails
toterhome update 002.jpg   toterhome update 001.jpg   toterhome update 004.jpg   toterhome update 005.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #7

Good to see you posting progress again, its looking really good, just need to add about another 20 feet to the box and you can drop it off at my place..lol.

Dave

Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote