Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Cab to Box clearance (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/cab-box-clearance-7429/)

solo318 07-23-2015 01:43 PM

Cab to Box clearance

After much searching (ok probably not THAT much). I have yet to find a recommended cab to box spacing for an air ride cab. Since my truck has an 18 inch gap behind the cab where the exhaust sits. I need to run the exhaust down low and slide the box forward on the frame. I just don't want to go too close and cut the rear frame off too short :)
Is there anyone successfully running the air ride cab with a fixed box?
How much of a gap do you need?
I'm already going to have to run an accordion seal, since the back of a Volvo cab tapers forward near the top.

Gordy 07-23-2015 08:46 PM

Usually the air ride is not used when a conversion is done. Quadra disconnected mine while it was there getting stretched and levelers.
I don't notice a rough ride since the conversion, probably due the long wheelbase.

solo318 07-24-2015 09:28 AM

I have seen a few guys leave the air ride in place. I was hoping to hear from them.

superbird03 07-27-2015 06:43 AM

I left my air ride cab in tact. The T2000 cab on mine tapers a bit but I am between 3 and 4 inches of space. To figure out the spacing for my truck, I let all the air out of the cab bags as the cab tilts back towards the box the most in this case. I left about an 1inch and half of a gap between the two. When aired up I am at about 3 1/2 inches of clearance. Haven't had any issues. I haven't cut my walk through hole yet but plan to. I will try to get a picture posted to show you.

Steve

solo318 07-27-2015 07:10 AM

My main concern is pinching the accordion boot when the cab bounces up and down (driving through Arkansas)

superbird03 07-27-2015 09:38 AM

That I can't offer advice on. I don't see it being an issue but that is only my opinion. I plan to buy the wider accordion boot as my father in law has a fixed cab and box on his international and had a hard time stretching the boot across. He left 2 inches and the boot was a bit short for him. He wishes he would have bought the wider boot.

Steve

roKWiz 08-15-2015 01:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Though my trucks are suspension cabs but aren't air ride (oil shocks) and are smaller cabovers, 3in (75mm) seems about the right min distance from the box. Even on the roughest Aussie dirt roads my cabs will not touch.

I couldn't locate a boot so I stepped a framed surround out and attached a pinchweld seal around that, hasn't leaked or damaged the seal as yet, however mines only a crawl through.

Kenn 08-16-2015 06:38 PM

air ride cab

1 Attachment(s)
I left the air ride on my 1982 Peterbilt and it has not been a problem on rough roads. My cab has about 1 1/2" to 2" of movement. I used the wider seal.