Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
J&J

Can someone give any information to someone unable to spend 25-30k for a truck?
Looking for maybe a 8-10k for a truck. It would be nice to travel with more things that i want to take. We are looking at working down south this winter.

96 2500 Dodge Cumm. 97 32'HR 5ver triple-slide,

J&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #2

You might try looking for 8-10yr. old Freightliners. They can be found priced where you can afford it. However, they will probably need a little work at that age because by that time they will have over a million miles on them. But maybe you're ready for that contingency. Basically with trucks you either pay up front or down the road.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #3

I found my 92 Volvo single axle with sleeper and triple air on E-Bay. It had 286,800 miles on it. I picked it up about a year ago for $8,600 and have been thrilled with it. When I bought it I was not aware of this site and didn't know anyone that owned one. I just figured if it didn't work out I'd just put it back on E-Bay. I have bought serveral large items off E-Bay and have not been burned yet. The ads normally request money down within 3 days and the balance due in 7 to 10 days. My approach has been to not send any money off to a stranger based on a description and a photo. I make sure when I bid that I am able to get there within the 3 day period to check the item before parting with any money. If they have not been honest the only money I'm out is the travel money. I'll try to take a little time and figure out how to put a photo of my rig in the photo section.

[This message was edited by Davem on September 07, 2003 at 07:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Davem on September 07, 2003 at 07:31 PM.]
Toyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #4

J & J,

I have also been looking for something closer to $10K, as I am not a full timer, and can't really justify a more expensive rig. The Volvo's seem to go pretty reasonable, but I am looking for a Freightliner, as it will work better for my application (in South Dakota, a converted sleeper will not qualify a truck as an RV, you must add on a larger unit, such as a Double Eagle sleeper. This appears to be easier done on a Freightliner than a Volvo).

There have been several trucks sell on ebay recently that would have met my needs, but most were quite far away. I too have bought several large ticket items on ebay, and also make sure that I can get to the item in a couple of days, without sending a deposit.

You might also check out http://www.rbauction.com/
they sell heavy equipment, and there are some good deals to be had there from time to time. They have an auction coming up in Fort Worth.

A few years ago, I was at a US Forest Service auction, where a low mileage Freightliner sold for a song. Unfortunatly, I was not in the market for a big truck at the time, and have not come across another deal like it since.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #5

Mine was in that range. I have a 95 FLD120, bought it from Ryder Road Ready Program. It had 550,000 on it and before it leaves the lot they will make it 100% in working condition. (This does not mean all parts are new, just that everything works on the truck) They will give you the complete service records for a vehicle and you can get the company name to who it was leased to. This way you find out if it was hauling steel or feathers

Now I will tell you that you will need to put some money into the truck. The more you are willing to do yourself the more you will save. The interiors are usually well worn, I replaced every hose and belt just to be sure that these did not go on a trip. There where items that worked, but really where not in the condition they needed to be, so those where replaced as well.

Here is a early on thread about my truck.

FLD120

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #6

Warpath,

Does Ryder have a web page, or do you have to go to one of their lots? If you have to go to the lot, where are they located?

I figure that just about any used truck I buy will need most of the things that you mention.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:03 AM   #7

You can do a search here

Ryder used trucks

They have locations all over the U.S.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote