Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #1

I was wondering I am thinking of building a conversion and I've been trying to find out what size tubing I am thinking of 2x3x.250 for floor and 2x2x.250 for corner studs and 1x2x.125 for wall studs set so I could use 1/2 board and interior panel and end with approx 2 in thick wall. Next ? I was measuring multiple trucks and almost thinking I could build box frame and skin it and then purchase truck to mount on after box is ready just looking for input from people with exp. Thanks Eric

Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

Sounds like a good plan however, it might be advisable to buy the truck first. There are numerous little differences in chassis, suspension, cab floor height, etc, where you would need exact measurements to fit your body.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #3

....I agree with Bob E....there are somethings that varie and you need to address those as you go.....there are ladder frames that are cocked from rough usage over the years....also bent frames that only show up with weight on them...all these factors will cause a change in building along the way...geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #4

good points had not thought of frame being twecked figured I could decide on one or two brand of truck and then could space box up if something changed, Am looking at a FL70 right now just thinking if could hold on to money till needed wouldn't have a truck sitting till it was done. Thinking of a 22' box with bunk over cab with like a 250" in wb
Old 04-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #5

Does thing metal choices sound correct and Ifound a supplier local that can get me either .032 or .050 pre painted skin I am leaning towards the .050 with tape and then silaflex to fasten it to match my enclosed trailer with smooth sides.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #6

.... .060 ON SIDES WITH VHB TAPE...WILL WORK OK....REST ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT.....RIPPLES WILL HAPPEN BY FLEXING HERE AND THERE....LIVE WITH IT.....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote