Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Default Basement Storage options

Ok so I have the slide framed and installed. the drivers side of the box reframed from the axles forward to support the slide loads. Now I'm down to storage compartments. Anybody build their own? What kind of materials did you use? How much weight do you carry? What did you do for doors? etc,etc,etc

solo318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

I found prefab doors at Bontragers in a size I could use, then framed the box in angle iron and screwed in treated plywood for walls and floors. Looks good from the outside and is functional, but I am sure there is a more elegant way to do the interior. You can also have doors built to your specs fairly reasonably.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

What size angle did you use? How is the plywood holding up in the weather? Thanks, Steve
solo318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

i used 2" angle iron 1/4" thick for frame. i put 3/4" plywood on for floor and side walls. bought doors from bontragers also. they are in michigan.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

I used 1.5x1.5x1/8 angle and 3/8 treated plywood all the way around. Given the size of the boxes that will hold anything I can fit in there. Holding up fine, I wondered about the plywood then figured every race car trailer I ever owned had plywood floors did just fine. At least I figure they'll outlast how long I plan to have the truck. I just ran a bead of sealer around everything while I was screwing it down. Make sure everything is water tight, you will be amazed at how much water gets in through something as small as a screwhole if it is inline with the tire spray. Ask me how I know. lol.

There a bunch of RV surplus dealers in White Pigeon, MI and Elkhart, IN. worth a trip before you get too deep, many deals to be had on surplus, plus they have all the "right" stuff to make the job look right.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote