Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-25-2003, 12:57 PM   #1

Looking down the options lists from 3 different conv. dealers...it appears that hefty profits are lying within. Water filter $100, they are $17 at Camping World. Satellite ready $150?? What's that? One $5 cable? There are many that I plan to do myself including the above mentioned plus leveling jacks and additional exterior lighting. Strangely many options are very reasonable, i.e. 17' awning $795, remote camera $1095, skylight $350. What options did you opt to do yourself?

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:41 PM   #2

Patrick-
Looks like you've got your eyes wide open, and well on your way to saving some bucks on whichever conversion you may get. I would be tempted to order only those items that would be difficult to install after the unit was built, and add the bells and whistles (IF they're really necessary) later as finances and hindsight allow.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #3

Remember that house construction costs about $20 a square foot and market price is around $110 a square foot, here now....so considering RV stuff is really cheap....someone is working/getting on early retirement and their kids college money or maybe child support and a girl friend or three....DYI if money is an issue and time and tools abound.....or you got friends with well equipped shops....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:39 AM   #4

Here is a tip on saving some $$. Most Showhauler dealers quote $1800ish to paint your truck white with DuPont Imron. The dealer in MI quotes $3500. Maybe he signs his autograph on the fender?
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:53 AM   #5

still kinda high....I'd say it's worth maybe a thousand at most for a repaint....materials are around $450 cost primer/sealer topcoat and hardner.....same color as origional without any body work-machine sanded and chemical prep....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:33 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patrick:
Maybe he signs his autograph on the fender? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
He better be signing it in gold leaf in big block letters for that kind of green.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote