Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #1

I would like to find a super 10 speed autoshift with the smartshift option but I never see any used trucks listed that way. Does anyone know if smartshift can be added (at a reasonable cost) to an existing autoshift?

Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #2

I've never heard of smartshift...tell us more.

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #3

Mike,

A "Super 10" and an autoshift are different transmissions. A super 10 is a manual transmission. Don't think I have heard of "smartshift" either.

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #4

I just did a search for "smartshift transmissions". Seems its basically a relocation of the shift lever on Eatons or Meritor autoshift transmissions. It won't work with manual transmissions.

onezman
Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 AM   #5

That's pretty cool really. I'd definitely prefer the steering coumn mounted controls overthe big box on the dash or seat. Easier to use in manual mode too. Might have to look into that further on the next truck.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #6

Thanks Larry,

Sorry about the confusion. I did mean an autoshift but many of the trucks with autoshift I have seen advertised said super 10 autoshift, giving me the erroneous impression that super 10 and autoshift were synonymous. While I like the control afforded by a clutch and the directly connected feel of a manual, during my time as an OTR driver I got tired of shifting. I actually grew to like the Mack 5sp I drove for a while just because I didn't have to shift so much. That's why I like the autoshift and the smartshift option (which is intended for autoshift equipped trucks) that gets the shifter off the floor and out of the way and thereby seems to enhance the good features of the autoshift without taking away manual control when you want it (which I suspect will be less and less as time goes by). I just don't know if smartshift can be added to an autoshift truck that wasn't originally equipped with it.

Here's a link to Smartshift from the Freightliner site: http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/co...ft/default.asp
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:58 PM   #7

I don't know how "smart" the Eaton auto shift is or if it downshifts or not. I can't wait to find out but I was under the impression that there wasn't any "hands off the wheel" time...just push in the clutch, put it in drive and go.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #8

Patrick,

Driving in the "drive" position, autoshifts shift up and down through the gears automatically as the truck speeds up and slows down. The driver can select any gear, up to, and including 5th, when first starting off.

The gear selected when starting off is the gear the transmission will downshift to at each subsequent stop unless the driver selects a different gear.

Driving in the "hold" poistion, the driver can shift when he/she chooses instead of letting the computers decide when to shift. When the driver selects a gear in the hold position, the transmission will remain in that gear until the driver selects a different gear, or the truck comes to a stop. When the truck comes to a stop, the transmission automatically returns to the gear the driver selected when first starting off.

The driver pushes a button on the "T" shift handle with his thumb to change gears while driving in the "hold" position. This gives the driver shifting control and makes driving more fun IMO

Hope that's not too confusing.

onezman