Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Anyone who owns a Freight-Shaker.... (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/anyone-who-owns-freight-shaker-4414/)

Doc Weaver 05-11-2010 01:03 PM

Bob, my front room in the truck was full of cab parts for three days. https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...icon_smile.gif

I'm still hunting down noises. I'm afraid the windshield is letting most of the noise in. The sound proofing is only as good as the weakest link. I'm contemplating making a cowl cover to redirect some sound over the cab.

Speaking of which, anyone have a good place to find a used roof fairing?

Doc Weaver

RaceItAgain 06-13-2010 08:38 AM

Doc
Have you made your cowl cover yet?
Where are you going to place it?
What did you do in the dash by the gauges and warning lights?
What exact products did you use and where?
Do you have any more pictures of this sound project?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

Doc Weaver 06-13-2010 02:48 PM

RaceItAgain,
1)I have not had time to even think about the cowl idea yet.
2) I cut and stuffed a fireproof treated cotton panel in the dash anywhere I could (including by the gauges)
3)The products are from one of brands I sell called CAE. I used VB2HD on the doors and VB4 on the firewall and floor. The cotton panel comes from them too.
4) I'll see if there is any other pictures that I didn't post already.

Doc Weaver

RaceItAgain 06-14-2010 08:30 PM

Thanks for the additional info Doc.
Please keep us informed about this ongoing project.

byrdseye 07-22-2010 03:20 PM

Hi Doc.......Thanks for the pics and information on your sound reduction project. I have a Freightliner M2 and am just about to start on the interior with the hopes of making it more comfortable and quiet. Do you sell the products that you used? I'd like to keep things "in the family" so to speak.

Doc Weaver 07-22-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by byrdseye:
Hi Doc.......Thanks for the pics and information on your sound reduction project. I have a Freightliner M2 and am just about to start on the interior with the hopes of making it more comfortable and quiet. Do you sell the products that you used? I'd like to keep things "in the family" so to speak.
I do. I try not to push myself in any forum, but I do appreciate "keeping in the family". If you want to email me at doc@christianmanagement.com I can help you (outside of the forum).

Doc Weaver

Doc Weaver 08-10-2010 09:17 PM

well I did a little more to quieten down the Freightshaker.

1) the noise from the tranny seemed be as loud as the engine, so I gave it another look. The hole for the gear shifter was letting lots of noise through the floor. I took three pieces of sound barrier and pushed them down the gear shifter. the bottom one was big enough to put under the boot bracket. The hole has to be big enough for the shifter to move. the second one was the size of the inside of the boot. the top one was to make a tight fit over the movement hole.

2) I changed the tranny oil to Royal Purple synthetic. It is supposed to have a thicker gear film (the stuff that clings to the gears) so that the gears actually never touch. Acoustically that would decouple the sound and keep it from traveling from gear to gear. It would also protect the gears more.

I don't know how much each one helped, but it absolutely make a difference. The sound level is 5 to 10 db quieter. Little by little its getting better.

Doc Weaver

geofkaye 08-10-2010 09:39 PM

.....OR IS YOUR HEARING GOING LIKE MINE IS.....HUH!..(.YOU KNOW WHO)....................

Chris Taylor 08-16-2010 08:23 PM

On the subject of gear shift noise, I quieted down my 7.3L Ford quite a bit with 2 or 3 layers of Reflectix (available at Home Depot/Lowes and others I'm sure) under the boot and the "carpet" -- incredible noise difference! As a matter of fact I noticed on the first drive after replacing the tranny that my hydraulics guy hadn't replaced the stuff... put more down and immediately could hold conversation in the truck again.

It's number 3 on the list of all-time most important items (duct tape and WD-40 being the first 2) for if you're too hot or its too noisy, add Reflectix!

It looks a bit like tinfoil bubblewrap. Used it extensively in the GMC motorhome while mobile and stationary to control heat and noise to very good results, as well.