Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-07-2002, 07:32 PM   #1

Great site Gentlemen: Question Located a 1990 Volvo air ride single axle big cam Cummins, 8spd fuller, new clutch, good rubber, large sleeper, has portental for toter for our 44ft tri axle enclosed race trailer.New to this market, Truck is in good condition, 700,000 on speedo?? very little blow bye, runs straight and true, smokes on start up, plan on updates, paint, alloy wheels private party asking $5,500. currently towing with 2000 f-350 powerstroke dual wheel, truck pulls great, GVW rating and braking reason I am looking to Class 8. any advise would be great. Newer Truck? milage max?

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:35 PM   #2

You can go with a lower price rig and update it as the budget will allow (Like I did) Or look at what you might spend in updates and go with a newer rig.

My 1995 FLD120 has 500,000 and seemed to be in perfect condition. Just considering mechanical updates I probably easily have $10,000 wrapped up (new radiator, u-joints, front brakes, tires & rims, and a bunch of other little items). I also updated the interior and added chrome which racked up another $5,000.

I probably could have easily moved up to 1998 - 99 rig, but that could have had similiar updates required, you never know.

I am super happy with my truck now, and it runs and drives like new.

1995 FL FLD120, M11, custom interior.

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:54 PM   #3

What is the wheelbase on this truck? How big is the "big" sleeper? What is the HP of the Cummins?
An 8 speed is pretty much an obsolete transmission. The HP on this truck is very likely 330 or less. Is there a hub mileage meter on the rear axle that corroborates the mileage? What do you know about the history of the truck? Was it a rental truck? Do they have the maintenance history of the truck? Im betting they don't.

Any truck that old with at least 700K miles could have all kinds of very expensive hidden problems. All moneys you spend on the truck would not increase it's value, including an engine overhaul. YOu could easily spend 3 or 4 times its initial cost to make it roadworthy and safe. It would still be a 1990 truck. It almost certainly has a 23K rear axle which, rides very rough unless heavily loaded.

I personally would not even consider this truck. IMHO, You would be far better off to buy a truck with less than 500K miles which has remaining warranty. You would be much less likely to have expensive problems.

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:34 AM   #4

Mr.Warpath, Mr. onezman, This site is going to save me some cash and headaches, Read articles onsite after posting, Your replies canceled any Ideals I was getting a good deal. I am in no hurry to buy, I think just reading site articles and finding a newer truck will be my end results. Not ever dealing with class 8 trucks, the average person needs to get educated. Thanks alot. Ok now I found a 99 Volvo Vn 610 500,000 miles, what price range, and what do I need to look at.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #5

Hi Double Trouble,

I have been a student of class 6 class & class 8 trucks for about 7-8 years now. I made all the expensive mistakes along the way. I am a retired full time Rver. (Now semi-retired) For the past 18 months I have been buying, converting for RV purposes, registering as an RV, using to tow my Alfa Gold, then selling Volvo tractors.

To see my most recent conversion, go to the classified section of this website. Click on "Motorhomes." I think mine is the only one listed. Click on "Details", scroll down and click on my webpage. The title of the site is:
"DROP DEAD GORGEOUS VOLVO RV HAULER." If you have a dial up connection, it may take up to 7 minutes to load the site as there are about 16 large pictures of the Volvo. All specifications and other information are included in the site.

The "DDGV" has been sold, but you should look at the site anyway. I have purchased and am near completion of my current Volvo 610 conversion. I am 99% sure it is also sold.

Nevertheless, I will send you my new webpage when I get it finished, probably by next Friday. It too will contain pictures and details.

I have access to three other 610 Volvos which are identical to the one I am converting at this time. All details will be included in the site. I can do a conversion in about 30 days.

If you would like to see my new Volvo conversion site when I finish it, send me an e-mail at the address below. I won't publish and/or advertise my new site if my buyer for this one want's it. He will tell me if he want's it or not after I e-mail him the same information I will e-mail to you.

onezman@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Larry Zeigler
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote