Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
cjc

Has anybody found a supplier for sheet aluminum? I need to find a distributor who can supply a single sheet of .025-.032 aluminum that's 45 feet long continuous. Please don't suggest all-rite because as far as I'm concerned, they're thieves. The price they charge the average Joe is $31.10 a running foot unless you're a business and you get it for half that amount. I understand that retail is more, but double the price? F/U! I'm hoping to find a distributor that has a point in the southeast so I don't get killed on the truck shipping. I'd prefer to go pick it up myself if possible. It's great to have to replace a roof on a motorhome from Showhauler after only 5 years especially when you consider that the rig is garaged when not being used. The roof is full of holes from corrosion. When I redo this, it will have a crown to allow water to run off and will also have some kind of non-skid protectant rolled on. That's just a little thing that Showhauler forgets to do and you get to repair way too soon. Opps! Well, hopefully, the lousy economy will put them out the door. That's a shame. Too bad, so sad. Ok, I've vented enough now.

cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #2

......UNLESS IT is really bad I wouldn't bother with the holes....I'd spray with a thick coat of bedliner like Linex or some other product....if it is pitted holes this will take care of it....a lot easier than re-roofing and a lot cheaper.......you could also cover it with one of the vinyls that are available on the market with welded seems.....good luck if you were in Cincinchitty I could help you with the roof-but the shipping will kill the deal...stop by your friendly bed liner company and make a deal for cash-most of them are dead in the water right now cuz truck sales are flat.....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
cjc

I know the cheap way to do it. I could roll on a rubber roof also, but the idea is to do this the correct way that it should have been done by Showhauler in the first place. The roof needs a crown in it to facilitate water run off. I'm sick and tired of a flood of water dumping off the roof when I raise the jacks. I'm going to remove everything off the roof, build it up with plywood and then cover it with another sheet of aluminum and protect the aluminum with some sort of roll on paint product with a non-skid built in. Just need to find an aluminum supplier that's reasonable. Thanks for the offer of assistance anyway.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by geofkaye:
......UNLESS IT is really bad I wouldn't bother with the holes....I'd spray with a thick coat of bedliner like Linex or some other product....if it is pitted holes this will take care of it....a lot easier than re-roofing and a lot cheaper.......you could also cover it with one of the vinyls that are available on the market with welded seems.....good luck if you were in Cincinchitty I could help you with the roof-but the shipping will kill the deal...stop by your friendly bed liner company and make a deal for cash-most of them are dead in the water right now cuz truck sales are flat.....geofkaye
Hey Geofkaye,
I'll take that help. I'm in West Chester, Ohio and just started a conversion of a Freightliner FL60. My first truck conversion. I used to do Private coaches (Eagles, MCIs) in the 80's, but there are many differences in the buses and trucks. Any advice would help me.

CJC, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I do appreciate the All-Rite tip.

Thanks,
Doc Weaver
Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #5

....Doc: ...call me at 1.888.513.5293 and we will get together on your roof problem....I have a spray unite so it can be done if you have a garage or a tree we can hang on to ;&gt......I'm on the east side of Cincinchitty so I'm an hour at most away from you.....you will get voice mail but I will call back as soon as I'm free......I was at the trailer builders in Laurenceburg just today-looking at some of the new stuff that they are working on....racing business is in a big downturn now and things are getting sold dirt cheap.....geofkaye
Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #6

Geo,
The idea of a bed liner on the roof is an excellent idea from several perspectives.
"¢It is incredibly durable and UV resistant and color fast
"¢It seals up the entire surface with a flexible membrane like surface
"¢And it is a perfect non-slip surface to walk on if you load or use your rooftop for watching the races

On the downside, it can be hard on bare knees or rip the knees out of your favorite jeans ... a small price to pay for the durability.

I think I will add this to our project list when we finish the roof.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #7

.....Radman:....don't mix the grit in it before you spray it on and you won't loose any skin....use a lite color or you will bake in the sun.....you can use aluminum but it is $$$$ and there is a rubber/vinal out that is good for 10 years at least....it is pricey for what you get and MUST BE GLUED DOWN PERFECTLY or it will raise up and "pillow"...patching is easy with a 4" wide tape and some glue....spray on liner is about 88 cents a square foot cost-prep is the hard part[hate that part] and must be perfectly clean and masked off very well with plastic....takes 48 hours to dry and one needs to seal the substrate under it or it will "pillow" also....it is heavy and requires good stringers under it...65 mills or about an 1/8" will outlast the vehicle also one needs to provide for moisture venting or you roof will rot and fall in....specially in winter- in summer you will get mold and rot also.....I have seen trailers with wet ceilings-owner thinking that it is a leaking ceiling but a matter of moisture instead.....saved the poor guy $3k with a $129.00 dehumidifier.....and a drain through the floor.....geofkaye