Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #1

Really enjoy this forum and have learned a great deal.

The "Ultimate RV" that Warpath is working on is the size and type of unit we are looking into. My question, are there other trucks that might have some advantage over the M2? For example the Peterbilt 335 is 108 inches from bumper to back of cab and is available with a Cummins 315 hp/ 950 lbs.torque and either an Allison transmission or recently announced Eaton 6 speed ulthashift (no clutch pedal).

One issue I have with the M2 is the lack of leg room (I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs.). The 335 has a flat floor, more headroom and just seems roomier.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I gather information on this project.

Thanks,
Steve/SWMO

Steve/SWMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:00 PM   #2

Steve, another alternative is an M2 with the extra cab, you may have more room to adjust the seat. I do not have experience with the new Peterbuilt, but my partner that sells heavy trucks says that he thinksd it is just a dooled up version of their old out of date cab and chassis.

Bob

rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #3

Thanks Bob

I guess what I am really interested in is if one truck has a reputation of better ride or build quality? I drove a 330 (last year's model) Peterbilt with a 10 ft. box and overhead bunk with a rear bed (small toter home) and the ride was not that good but in fairness we had no weight on the truck. Are there differences in build quality or ride between the different trucks? BTW the power and shifting of the Cummins and Allison were impressive.

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 11-10-2004, 06:45 AM   #4

Just a quick update on some of the things I have learned about alternatives to the M2.

The Kenworth 300, the Peterbilt 335, and the International 4400 have 315/310 hp engines with 950 lbs. of torque. The M2 is currently limited at 860 lbs. torque. So this gives those trucks a 10% torque advantage, but there are rumors that the M2 106 will have higher options available in 2005 but nothing I have been able to confirm.

The Kenworth and Peterbuilt have Cummins and Cat engines available, the International has their own in house engine, and the M2 106 has Mercedes and Cat engines available. An Allison TRV (Truck RV) in the 3200 series is used on the higher torque engines (above 860 lbs. torque).

The cab heights above the frame rail are very close to the same, so bunk space is not going to be very different between the trucks. A big difference in favor of the M2 and International is that they have a 12 inch plus wider interior than the Kenworth and Peterbilt. This makes getting back and forth to the RV much easier.

A new Eaton Ultrashift 6 speed manual transmission (but with no clutch pedal) is or will be available in all the trucks but the new tranny is limited to 860 lbs. of torque so currently only the 300 hp engines can be used.

The Peterbilt is the only truck with a two piece non-curved windshield. The Pete is the only truck I have found to drive as yet and it made me feel like I was driving a semi, good for me but not to impressive to the wife.

All for now, and thanks for your comments.
Steve/SWMO
Old 12-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #5

Ok I am new to forum but being 6'8" in height I am also very concerned about driver space. I have only driven a Freightliner CL 120 for 10 miles. It same to have room for me but also this was my first time to drive a rig of this type.
Ken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve/SWMO:
Just a quick update on some of the things I have learned about alternatives to the M2.
... The M2 is currently limited at 860 lbs. torque. ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My local Freightliner dealer (Transwest Trucks) confirms that a 330 HP, 1000 lb-ft torque version of the 7.2l MBE 926 is now available in the M2. As you noted, this engine is not available with the 6sp Ultrashift.

The tighter turning radius, mounting the batteries under the cab, reinforced frame rails, and purported better fuel mileage currently have the M2 at the top of my short list.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:51 PM   #7

The problem with any other chassis is that the conversion companies may or may not have any alternatives on order and to order from Freightliner takes forever. Renegade does have 350HP Cat engines with the 6 spd Ultrashift trans in the M2, in stock.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #8

I can confirm the long wait on the M2. I still have another 7 weeks until I get mine just to start the 6 week build process. My truck was ordered on 11/19/04. From what I understand the leadtime on the M2 is only getting longer, so if your planning a conversion to arrive before the end of the year, ya better get a truck on order.

BTW: My truck has the MBE 926 motor but rated to 300hp & 860 ftlbs. Not sure what it would take to bump it up, also not worried about, but it's a option down the road.