Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #21

Don't care for 5.56 just a personal twist.

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #22

....what would you suggest?...geofkaye-[always open to new ideas]

Old 02-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #23

As a substitute for the weapon you mentioned or for a weapon with the stated function of 'coach defense'? I wouldn't probably make a suggestiion for a substitute for the weapon, these types of weapons just don't have any interest for me. I'm not involved in close quarter hostage rescue scenarios, if I want to play that game I go to the paint ball range. As for something just to spray a lot of lead, I have a couple pieces of vintage make and model that can acomplish that just fine. For coach protection I'd choose a little number called the "Thunder Five" http://www.thunder5.com/docs1.html
This is I believe the ideal weapon for close quarters for women and others who may not have a lot of time in at the range, it also has the added advantage that you don't neccessarily have to see what you are shooting at clearly, like snakes in the grass or night intruders into your coach.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #24

I think I'll stick with my Benelli M1 Super 90. Alternating rounds of slugs and 00 Buck.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #25

Absolutely anyone with a firearms background should go with what they know, like, prefer and there is no finer shotgun then a Benelli. My suggestion was aimed at RV'ers who were considering a weapon, without previous firearms experience. For my choice of home protection has to be my Maverick 88 with Sidewinder and Breachers grip which makes even one handed fire possible and gives an unbelievable rate of fire and reloading speed. The Benelli probably cost more then the Maverick and the Sidewinder conversion together. For the purposes of making an intruder understand they've made a grave error, the ability to lay down 10 rounds in 10 seconds reload and get off another 10 rounds in the next 15 seconds cannot IMHO be surpassed. Also slugs and OO buck have great stopping power and penetration, however I rather think a slug or 00 buck is something I don't want penetrating the walls of an RV which will happen if there is a miss, not that any of us would ever miss at o'dark-thirty in the AM after being startled awake. Number 4 shot inside at close range I still think is the anti personel round I'd choose and still in the Thunder-Five. That damm shotgun makes such a lump under my pillow.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #26

Good point - the current load is set more for home. I actually take one of the 9's with me on the road using glaser rounds in them.

The Benelli even with the 18" barrel is a bit large for maneuvering inside the rv.

I agree on the choice for people who haven't shot before, something easy to use and control is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #27

Before Black Talon got so much bad press and they pulled them, tweaked them and released them with a more politically correct name I stocked up.

Lets get back to talking about Air Horns
Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #28

Dang, remind me to stay away from you guys when out on the road.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #29

I got a medium to cheap set of train horms (three tubes) at the chrome shop at Exit 2 on I-75 in GA. Not the loudest but great for the money. More than enough to make people jump, especially the wife since they're mounted under the cab under the drivers seat pointed at the passengers side
Old 02-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #30

Warpath, I understand your point of view, but remember it might just be one of us who walks up behind some bastard breaking into your RV in the middle of the night. I'm a very lite sleeper. BTW when I walk around at night I usually don't carry a gun, usually just a monadnock tapper and industrial sized stun gun.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #31

......I used to use a lot of SS 109's and I still do but a M-16 shortie is still a lot to move around in tight quarters-so I'm gravitating to a hand held weapon so I can move it around better.....anyway- I don't miss......Too much training....On the issue of loud air horns, I have to recommend Richard at GO Horns in Kali.....his add is on "links" and he and his dad know what they are doing......they have the experience and expertise to give you what you want....outstanding items and very effective-I have a horn set that almost makes you puke[physical pain within 40 feet] it sounds so raspy....nothing mellow about the horn that Richard custom made for me!....geofkaye
Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #32
Joe

I just joined this site a bit over a month ago and frankly wasnt sure that i should. That is until i read these strings of posts! I haven't felt so warm and fuzzy since the time I was parked in my pick-up camper outside the United States Courthouse in Brooklyn one night. It was 4:am when this youthful Urban American considered joining the wonderful world of RVing by acquiring my vehicle--gratis. He apparantly forgot the description in the pamphlet about our world being 'exciting' as well. Though the lad never hunted a day in his life he intuitively knew what the sound was when i slid a 0000 Buckshot round in my Remington shotgun and placed the muzzle behind his right ear as he sat in the drivers seat! When the Marshal's service came out to talk to him they found a very obedient and polite young man. My choice has always been a pump shotgun with 0000 ICC frangable Buckshot. Get er done! Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #33

.....sane people react in sane ways.....not so for those that are not sane....one has to be able to pull the trigger...........geofkaye
Old 04-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #34

Say guys & gals; following up on warning devices that put the true meaning of fear back into cluless drivers someone today reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years. Remember coasting up to a light, turning off they, waiting a couple seconds and then turning thekey back on KA-BOOM a backfire that shook windows. How about a propane cannon? Piece of pipe with a weighted hinged cap with a o-ring for a slight seal that would let a little gas build up and a source of ignition; might produce really pleasing results.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
Say guys & gals; following up on warning devices that put the true meaning of fear back into cluless drivers someone today reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years. Remember coasting up to a light, turning off they, waiting a couple seconds and then turning thekey back on KA-BOOM a backfire that shook windows. How about a propane cannon? Piece of pipe with a weighted hinged cap with a o-ring for a slight seal that would let a little gas build up and a source of ignition; might produce really pleasing results.
Finally- A sensible use for propane in an RV! This would ALMOST make me consider havung propane on board........ almost......
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #36

Gary - do I infer correctly that you have all electric appliances?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #37

.....lota dam work to produce really no result except an illusion of destructive power.....propane cannons are used in re-inactments of the WW's and you can tell the sound a mile away....sorta like a fart in an old glass milk bottle lit with a match...."TONK"......as it were...geofkaye
Old 04-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #38

Oh well if you can't get a good bang out of them then I withdraw the suggestion, I was hoping for something that would sound like a howitzer
Does propane have a slower burn rate then acetylene? I've seen guys fill an inverted styrofoam cup and touch it off and it makes a hell of a bang. When I was a kid my uncle Jack took a coffee can and stuck a spark plug in the bottom and used a piece of carbide and dripped water on it then stuffed a rubber ball in the end, when the spark plug was sparked from a safe distance with a coil and a battery that was prety loud too and would launch that rubber ball seemingly out of sight. Kaye how do you know what a fart in a glass milk bottle sounds when you put a match to it
Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Gary - do I infer correctly that you have all electric appliances?
Not YET; as I don't YET have a rig. When I do, however, it will NOT have propane anything, because for one thing, I can't see carrying a second fuel besides Diesel when a genset (Diesel of course) can supply safe power for all cooking, heating (including water) and lights without having to deal with the potential explosion hazard that propane carries. Diesel has NO explosive bad habits that I know of so far.....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #40

Have you noticed how defensive some people get when you mention being concerned about propane's potential for impersonating a bomb?