Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Have you noticed how defensive some people get when you mention being concerned about propane's potential for impersonating a bomb?
Oooooohhhh yeaaaahhhhhh! Reason is because they're stuck with it. No big deal. Are we the only ones suffering from the dreaded "Propane Paranoia"?
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #42

I see no reason for "propane paranoia" but then I am an IPGA trained serviceman. I love my propane fired frig and heat that doesn't require any power to keep cold or warm.

John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #43

No we aren't the only ones, I'mnoteven sure I'd call myself paranoid. Besides whatever possible risk or not there is, propane isn't as clean as electricity for cooking or heating. I don't know about efficiency and cost comparison. I do know that in my area it is cheaper to heat, cook and dry laundry with LNG, but it produces soot no mater how clean burning it is thought to be and as far as I know propane doesn't burn any cleaner and even if it does in a confined space like inside an RV, electric cooking has to be cleaner. As for space heating and water heating I'm using a diesel fired system which for my purposes can't be beat. It puts out enough hot water for a whirlpool tub, much less long hot showers which when I'm connected to hookups is what I want. Also I think a really big ass generator is the only way to fly, both it and the diesel engine can run on WVO for next to free for most of the time and if somone would invent a diesel burner for the hotwater system I'd burn WVO there as well.
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #44

......I was in a propane explosion in a small trailer on our launch ramp property- a close friend was killed by the infections resulting from burns-not the actual explosion.....I was blown through a sliding window/door, of sorts in the side of the trailer....saved my life? I guess, but made me somewhat ugly here and there.....But I have discovered wounds heal and chicks dig scars so what the hell?....anyway I now do everything I can to lessen my risks-I'm old[61] and don't get over things so will or heal quickly anymore.....took a year to get up and around last time I got hurt [and $370,000] to get my Humpty Dumpty Azz over it[1996 wasn't a very good year].....Propane is just another hazzard to deal with and if I can lessen exposure -I will.....Money/costs has nothing to do with it.....It is all about me. My trailer and tractor are all electric and have diesel generation...propane is for cooking chicken on the grill and disgarding the cylinder in the local dumpster.....I don't travel with propane currently....though I may take a 30# aluminum cylinder with me soon for cooking and lite at nite...something I playing around with currently on these rainey days when I can't work on the new cottage....geofkaye
Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #45

....Chevy57PkUp.....about the milk bottle.....I was born in the 40's and grew up in the 50's there are a lot of things you younger guys don't know about....like country girls milking cows- deer season- squirrl season- propane/M-80 apple cannons-june bugs and bunkers with Minuiteman nukes on the top end and a bunch of guys running aound with keys around their necks[still got one-just no lock to put it into].....course now I have to learn things like rail guns and GPS and all those new things. Even sitting in a tree waiting for the enemy to get just a little closer has changed-thank GOD we don't have to climb trees anymore-and they ride to battle in Helos instead of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane at nite over the forest/jungle.....times are a changing quickly........ now is the most insteresting time to be alive.......geofkaye
Old 04-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #46

Kaye - If you'd read and considered the question you might have realized it was rhetorical humor intended to conjur up the image of you with a milk bottle held in close enough proximity to trap said volatile gas. You're certainly not the only person here born in the 40's who remembers all the things you mention.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #47

Quote:
I love my propane fired frig and heat that doesn't require any power to keep cold or warm.
I would hope propane didn't require "any power"; it IS the power!!!
BTW, when you plug in at a campground, you can run it ALL on the "juice", including the fridge and heater, when all electric. NO messing w/ pilot lites, etc. NO flameouts. NO gas leaks to try to detect. Oh, and NO tank other than the primary vehicle fuel tank to fill, either.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #48

Quote:
BTW, when you plug in at a campground, you can run it ALL on the "juice", including the fridge and heater, when all electric. NO messing w/ pilot lites, etc. NO flameouts. NO gas leaks to try to detect. Oh, and NO tank other than the primary vehicle fuel tank to fill, either.
And therein is the rub, no place to plug in so unless you want to run the genset all of the time you don't have refrigeration. Most of the places we go don't have electrical service, you can believe that I take advantage of it whenever it is available.
John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #49

Would this qualify as a distinction between camping and RV'ing? :-B
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #50

....propane is >10% less than effective/efficient because of the heat escaping in the exhaust and the by the electric fan moving in cold air- if used to move the air.....whereas Electric is 100% effective/efficient as all the heat is used in the rig.... none escapes through exhausting of burned gasses......even the transmission lines from the generator to the heater are a heating element somewhat........so from a efficienty standpoint electric is the way to go......with my superinsulation[spray polyisocynate insulation] I get full value from each kw as opposed to propane....my rig requires 1500 watts[5000btu's] to stay comfortable down to 20 degrees and then I add 1500[additional cycling happens] more to stay comfortable even lower......I use my generator or plug in whatever is available.....geofkaye
Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #51

Quote:
unless you want to run the genset all of the time you don't have refrigeration.
Not true. An all-electric fridge is waaaay more efficient with electricity than any 2- or 3-way fridge, and will therefore run quite well and for a long time on battery power. And when that gets low, fire up the genset for a while during the day. The battery power will last the nite, plus. They are NOT that loud, even the Diesels.
Gary
Old 04-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #52

....I run my freezer for one hour a day and everything is cold and somewhat stiff at times.....It is a Wood's top loading freezer 5 cubic ft freezer turned up a far as it will go and still freezes if left on longer than an hour or two....3.5 amps draw...4 inches of polyisocynnate from factory-$149.00 at home depot.....geofkaye