Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #1

I didn't want to mess up Kirks dump valve discussion. So i started a new one for my truck

Weights:
GVRW is 18k per door sticker (17980#)

Empty 12k (11850# per old registration)
2 passangers + luggage 500#
jeep weighs ~4200#
1000# RV build
300# Fudge

The construction of the box alum. floor is a 'IIII' type mini I beam looking extrusion that run crossways. Im planning to add a few reinforcments under where the jeep tire sits to help deal with any possible spot loading.

I plan to keep a rough tally of the materials im removing for windows and doors vs what im adding. Plus an actual certified scale weight when im done.

The chassis is 9"x3" Channel so I think it can handle it to the limit. If im over, im over, ill start cutting I've planed that need be ill cut the 'garage' off and have it open (or possiblly a partial garage)

Does 1k sound optomistic for a 7.5'x7.5' cabin?

THe plan is for a 12" raised secion for the mini-kitchen and sitting area. This will allow for storage compartments and make better use of the 8' tall box. Im planning 2x4 w/ plywood construction for that. The cabinest will be simple 2x? with panneling with lightweight doors etc..

I've got a 16gal water tank, and need to figure out a similer sized drain tank. Pluming will be a sink and eventually a utility sink will be placed on the floor in the back to serve as a shower and dish basin.

Ideas??

Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #2

Have you factored in anything for things like a small fridge, microwave, A/C, or generator? There are some small versions available that would work well, but the RV versions of these appliances would require a natural gas source, which would also add weight. If you go with all electric appliances, you would eliminate the need for the natural gas tank, but would need a slightly bigger genset to run everything. Heat is a consideration too...if you go electric, you could use an electric toe space heater which would do a great job of heating the whole living space. What are you gonna be doing with this thing?

Travis Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #3

I guess I should tell you the plans and some reasons behind them. Basically I drag my jeep with me all around the east coast and hopefully out west. I used to tow a 16' trailer with an 01 PSD and just found I had a POS truck and it sucked gas as a DD (dailyu driver) I really didn't like towing as it just never seemed optimal. Literally forced to tent camp, or drag a slide in camper. Seen a u-haul build up on a 4x4 site and happened to find one locally forsale in good shape.

Anyway, yes have considered all the things i can do. 80% of the time ill be camping at an site with hook ups ar at least elec. Most places have fair bath houses so full on plubing isnt a requirment. We come back from 4x4-ing filthy so basic acomodations are better than tent (aka none) accomodations. Plan for a small microwave, mini fridge. I have a small window A/C unit ill be hanign in the partition wall inside, into the 'garage' area at the rear. I have plans to add things as the project progresses, but day 1 will be dry/cool sleeping.