Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Adding to my skillset (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/adding-my-skillset-7428/)

solo318 07-17-2015 10:28 AM

Adding to my skillset

After many moons of building racecars, hotrods, and boats. along with RV repairs on many levels. I have decided it would be a good (maybe) idea to build my own truck conversion. My plans are in progress (my wife is an Architect). and we are considering our options for a slide out.
Has anyone successfully built their own slide assy. What did you use for tracks. what was the cost of the components?
It seems that the folks advertising slide out track assemblies don't really want to sell any.

asitool 07-17-2015 07:43 PM

I built 3 prototypes and eventually settled for ordering the slides from liftco. I wish I had used one of my designs instead... The liftco unit is nice but it feels half assed compared to the rest of the coach.

Design 1) 8" channel with 1/2 nylon pads mounted above frame, (you could probably get away with 6". I used 2x6x.090 square tube with laser cut slots and a sprocket for motive power. (similar to a rollback tow truck)

Design 2) Similar to a cantilever gate. I used 4 steel sliding gate "v" rollers and built a ladder frame from two pieces of 2x2x090 parallel to each other (8" apart)with angle welded to them for the V rollers.

Design 3) 8" channel with nylon, two pieces of 2x2x090 welded in a ladder (6" apart) at the same angle as the inside of the channel. With this design I planned to use hydraulic power to operate the slide with a cam lock to keep it closed, (similar to rippers on a box scraper for a tractor)

Designs 1 and 3 were intended to use grease. I realize it's probably hard to visualize from the descriptions. I feel like the liftco slide is really maxed out at 1k lbs. I think the custom designs could have supported 5k easily. I'll take some pictures when I get by the shop.

superbird03 07-20-2015 06:40 AM

I bought a wrecked camper for parts on my build which included a slide out. I found out it was made by Norco and I am very happy with it. I ended up disassembling the hole thing as I wasn't impressed with the room assembly itself but the mechanism part works very well and I am very happy with it so far. I believe this is going to be the most cost effective and least destructive to an already built camper to install in a new or already built unit. Here is a link to one of their flyers: https://www.primetimerv.com/download/...yNorco-FAQ.pdf

If you look at pages 5 and 6 of my thread you can see how it works. I haven't ordered the 2nd one yet but when I do I will let you know the cost: https://www.truckconversion.net/forum...58/index5.html

solo318 07-20-2015 06:58 AM

Thank you both. I have been engineering my own based on a modified unistrut rollers. It should carry the weight, but I'm struggling with the support structure under my box. I was wondering what others have been able to accomplish.

solo318 07-20-2015 07:22 AM

Super bird, Do you have any pictures if the slide mechanism itself?

superbird03 07-20-2015 12:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There is no "mechanism" per say. The box you build for the room is built. There are 2 brackets on each side of the room. This is for cables to hook up to that would pull the slide out to the "out" position. There is a frame that is mounted to the opening of your wall that has allocations for cables to connect to as well. again, 2 on each side. These are used for when the slide out is pulled in. the bottom part of the frame that is mounted has rollers on it. The floor of your room slide out rolls on this. There is an electric motor that is mounted over head (or it can be mounted below the slide if you wish) You adjust the tension of the cables so the slide out goes in and out the same amount and that's it. I was blown away at how sturdy the setup is. I had 2 guys inside mine and we were jumping in it extended out and couldn't get it to move. Hopefully the pictures help clarify.

superbird03 07-20-2015 01:26 PM

I see that my link didn't work. See if this one works. It is the designer guide for designing/building a slide set.

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...gner-guide.pdf

solo318 07-21-2015 10:52 AM

Well, the problem solved itself this morning. I found a Dutchman with a superslide and a large hole in the roof. I got the whole thing for 500 bucks. Lots of windows too :)
Thanks for your help.

solo318 07-21-2015 10:54 AM

The thing actually squatted my dually. Its really water logged.

superbird03 07-21-2015 12:12 PM

that should work well. I found it very useful to have a camper to use parts from. There is always some odds and ends you can use from it. The camper I bought was 7 years old so I used the fridge, water heater furnace, water pump, toilet, slide out...... Worked out pretty good. Sounds like your deal will work out well also!

solo318 07-21-2015 01:58 PM

I can't wait to get started converting my box. I bought a 98 vnl42 with a 42 inch sleeper and a 28 ft box. 102w x96h. I was going to re-skin the roof first, but I couldn't pass the deal on the parts camper. (I was going to order 700.00 worth of just windows) any of the appliances are shot, as are the walls/floor/ceiling. All that's good are the windows/doors/slide assy. I guess I'll re-skin the roof next. Maybe I can use the tanks. (it's got 2 large greys and a huge fresh water)

38Chevy454 08-03-2015 03:36 PM

Having the parts trailer to use for parts is good way to save money and also have some of the design engineering work done for you. Use all you can from the parts trailer, good score on that.

LargeMarge 08-27-2018 08:55 PM

re:
Slide-out

Our neighbor built a slide-out into her bus.

Partway through, and nearly finished, she asked for help.

After looking at her contraption == instead of her ropes and gears and motors and support cantilevers with stabilizing jacks and hobgoblin electrics == we welded an aluminum box, glued a Corian counter to the nether.

It slides fine on a section of carpet.