Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 AM   #1

Default 3116 underpowered topkick blues, any ideas?

boy, Its been some time since ive been on here, I built a toterhome conversion from a salvaged wrecked class C motorhome with a slideout (2000 four winds ) , and a 1995 gmc topkick ex Ryder truck with a 170hp cat 3116 and allison automatic, overall I like the rig but pulling grades and my enclosed 34'x 13' tall enclosed race trailer it is totally underpowered, I was aware of the "turd" of a engine prior to the build, but the price was right, and i figured i had options to pursue, "how bad can it be? , right?" well, its bad, very bad. which leads me to my current status on options, thier very limited outside of the economy kitty kat platform, im open to any ideas which would hopefully allow me to still utilize the allison automatic, ive looked into marine applications of 3116 higher hp, the sister 3126 ect ect my engine and chassis is all mechanical no ecm to tinker with programing , this thing is lucky to do 55 mph downhill with a wind behind it, it takes a extreem amount of patiance going anywhere, I live and drive mainly on the flats here in the midwest , ND MN,SD ,IA, any help on some ideas worthy of a swap/upgrade are greatly appreciated

dirtdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #2

Try http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/
He really knows his mechanical engines.
There are higher power options that can get to 300+ hp, not sure about chilling upgrades or head studs. He is working on one here Cat 3116 weak points to upgrade - TheDieselGarage.com but I would go that far on a street application.

jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Thanks Jasong I will definetly check it out, open to some ideas, there has to be something to liven it up just a tish, if i could get this thing to roll at 65mph id be a bit more happy
dirtdevil is offline   Reply With Quote