Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #1

I have been using a 2000W modified sine wave inverter in my 18 wheeler for years to power everything I have. From cell phone chargers to microwave ovens to 5.1 sound systems. They are also a lot cheaper. I have noticed RV's that I'm looking at have pure inverters. Are there any benefits with a pure sine wave inverter that would justify the cost. What am I missing.

CandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #2

...I don't know the answer to your question....I have never liked inverters-any kind- so I never bothered to find out what the difference is/was....DR. Weaver can answer that Question much better than I....He does that kind of electronic stuff for kicks and makes money with sound and industry equipment. Again it isn't something I understand....[or even can hear anymore]....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #3

I know a little about inverters,...basically most pure sine types are somewhat more efficient & will run induction loads better than a stepped (modified) sine. So anything that had a transformer in it, or a motor (referigeration compressor) will be happier with pure sine. However,...a high end modified sine inverter will run induction loads without any problems but the DC to AC conversion efficiency will not be as good. So, depending on your power needs & house battery capacity,...a modified sine will probably do just fine.
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

I too have used a modified sine wave inverter for several years. In doing my pre-purchase research the only thing that the modified sine wave inverter wouldn't run that affected me is a laser printer. I have been very happy with the Xantrex RV3000 installed in our rig. We have 980 A-hrs of battery capacity so any efficiency loss with the modified sine wave (vs pure sine) hasn't been an issue.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #5

Good answers. (To avoid the encyclopedia answer)Basically, high tech gear wants "clean" power. You can use a good power conditioner and get the same end result. If you don't have to have pure power for everything.....why pay for it.

One man's opinion

Doc Weaver
Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

....see, what do did I tell you?...DR Weaver knows about the electronical type stuff....I know nothing about it-as I have employees that do all that stuff.....I have enough to do just answering e-mail :&gt....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #7

Thank you for all the good answers.
CandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

We have had problems with white lines and noise using modified sine wave inverters. Xantrex RV2000 and 3000 is a great inverter. But, it is expensive. This the one we like to use. Magnum is suppose to be a good one too.
HawkEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #9

Hey Bob E! I have been meaning to call you. How is the conversion coming along we built the shell for???

HawkEng is offline   Reply With Quote