Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Manufacturer Discussion (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f96/)
-   -   Anyone tried a STERLING TRUCK? (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f96/anyone-tried-sterling-truck-5551/)

KAYE RIVERCITY 06-19-2005 09:33 PM

I had a chance to buy a Sterling with a Cat/auto/Showhauler from Rusty Jones Racing in Kentucky and passed on it to build my own....I just wondered if anyone of you guys has tried out a Sterling for a HDTV or a Conversion?.....geofkaye

dave mckay 06-20-2005 12:02 PM

I am the proud owner of a 32.5 foot Showhauler motorhome on a 2005 Sterling chassis. Product support has been exceptional.

KAYE RIVERCITY 06-20-2005 10:09 PM

......I been itchin' to stop over to Sterling and take a look at the new trucks...It's on the list to do some rainey day....geofkaye

KAYE RIVERCITY 06-23-2005 09:57 PM

dave mckay:.....which model truck and what engine and transmission and rear end ratio?......geofkaye

dave mckay 06-24-2005 07:21 PM

My tractor is an AT9500 with a 14,600 front axle and tandem 20's in the back. I ordered dual lockers and driver controlled traction for the snow and mud here in Alaska. The wheelbase is 350 inches, Engine is Mercedes- Benz MBE 4000, 450HP. The trans is a Meritor Freedomline 12 speed automated. I am also trying Alcoa "Dura-Brite" wheels witha 5 year guaranteed polish. We shall see about that. The truck is the 122 BBC model. The truck is working just as well as the Showhauler conversion, and, support has been very personal and proficient. Are you considering one?

dave mckay 06-24-2005 07:22 PM

I forgot, the rears are 3.22 with 22.5 Michelins.

KAYE RIVERCITY 06-24-2005 09:27 PM

.....I have another 3 years with this unite I built for writeoff and then I will start down the road again.....I'm getting older and have to do some "accomodations" to the vehicle like an auto transmission and some changes in steps/climbing with more electric over hydraulic or air powered systems/LED's and electrical system upgrades/insulation w/sound control/humidity removal w/air purification systems.....the ideas keep pouring in and I have to add them to my list....even the little things that make life easier like the "v'' shaped rain water guide on the roof of Warpath's Showhauler are important.....It's all in the details and what works and what is usless-that I have to screen now.....newer materials are coming on the market all the time-they must be evaluated for mobile usage vs. cost.....many systems are adaptable to mobile but the manufacture back off then you start talking mobile....like my pellet stove for warmth and a fire at nite is "romantic" as all get out....makes it seem like your in your own little world....called "cocooning" here abouts....my Incinolet toilet is the best investment I ever made for my trailer...safe-sanitary and No black water tanks to deal with....easy to maintain...just empty the ash tray once a week-clean with Windex and a towel.....single temp shower-no adding cold to hot water to get just the right temp....carpet than can be cleaned with small vacuum or a hot water hose and dried outdoors and put back in if it gets muddy...single unite washer and dryer....so many choices and the real fun picking what I want as opposed to that some designer thinks I want....and the big issue is I do it at 1/3 the price of a commercial unite so I can afford to buy a new truck speced as I want it.......these are exciting times.....geofkaye

KAYE RIVERCITY 07-15-2005 08:39 PM

.....the Sterling Dealer in Cincinnati is an Idiot....he forgot to send out the deal on the truck I priced/spec'ed last week....DUH!....he was more interested in the Hay he delivers one the side than selling a truck....geofkaye

dave mckay 07-18-2005 05:05 PM

My.dealer here in Anchorage would love to sell you a Sterling. After my deal, he now knows how the spec one for RV use and avoidinf FET. His name is Whitey McCaudt, 907 344 3608. Mention my name. He can't do anything to you through the phone line. Dave

Gary Atsma 07-18-2005 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
he was more interested in the Hay he delivers one the side than selling a truck....geofkaye
Hey, uh, Geof, you sure that's HAY he's dealing in? And not some other green, leafy, substance? Just checking.....

KAYE RIVERCITY 07-18-2005 10:26 PM

.....Dave having been to Ankorage in the early 70's....your dealer would have to deliver the truck.....I ain't making that trip again....my old lady and I were on the honeymoon and were in Alaska for 3 months.....following the pipeling crew. We had a blast-but the trip completely destroyed the trailer and truck we were driving....the final blow was a deer in Montana in the middle of the nite....had to abandon the trailer and drive back to Ohio with a U-haul overloaded with our stuff....way overloaded.....but in those days I was Superman!....or a complete idiot.....geofkaye

dave mckay 07-30-2005 08:57 PM

The dealer in Anchorage will arrange delivery anywhere you request, just give him a ring. 907 344 3608

KAYE RIVERCITY 07-30-2005 09:34 PM

...Thanks Dave.....but I can't bring myself to pay the delivery charges-also there is a Sterling dealer here in Cincishitti Ohio-though learning disabled, he will eventially get around to giving me a price on a Sterling Truck 9500 Chassis as I want it built.....First price was $141,000 list and a sales price of $86,492.....so there is probably another $15-20K in glitz and profit to be hammered on - I 'll wait for a rainey day and wham him a little.....he is the owners step son.....geofkaye

volvoman 09-08-2009 09:45 PM

if still looking i would not buy a sterling. they are not going to make them anymore. parts will be hard to get and will be expensive. ford parts have sky rocketed. priced a outer door handle for l8000 ford. $250.00