Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #21

That is an option but Im liking what Im hearing about single axle rig like yours.Columbia 450hp 12sp high rear ratio.Learnin

wmbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
confused ??

sorry did mean to hi-jack your thread - just offering more info regarding the engines/trans. from what i can tell our MBE4000 is a mercedes only by the changed (logo) valve cover & a plastic cover on the side of the engine.

i forget what rear end gearing I've got, but id like to go slightly higher - just because i like to run faster (72 - 75 mph) than most (pusher owners)....and i could improve on the mpg if i could get the

on coaches like ours there is no "tag" axle - (tags on are single tire'd per side & they can be lifted)....on our coaches BOTH axles are DRIVEN (full diff's and duel wheeled/tired on each side).

the nice thing about our 2nd axles are the fact that you can lock each diff independently AND you can lock both axles together (ala 4 wheel drive).

i would have preferred the 2nd (driven) axle - for the added safety (blow out/tires) and having another set of brakes would be really nice...and i love the idea of 4 wheel drive

I go to a fair amount of races & sometimes end up parking in grass....even if i got stock - a tow truck would still be cheaper than having to buy 4 more tires (at roughly 750 per tire or 3k per rear axle)

if i were towing a STACKER trailer or big boat (like john - THUNDERUSONE) then i would DEFINITELY want the 2nd axle..... iirc THUNDERUSONE coach is nearly 12k or 18k lbs heavier than ours.....not sure WHY that is...but at his weight i'd want the 2nd axle too !
I know Don. I didn't realize the weight until I had it awhile and got to comparing weight tickets. Mine is 47' everything on it is just a little bigger. In nearly every dept. Water, waste, tanks...propane...build out...slides... i can't really point to one particular thing to say that's it. I do have to say that the Mercedes gets it done. And so far no issues. I gotta look at my gears again to see what ratio I have. It's fairly tall for what it weights. Here is a pic of my tach with some coal on the fire. This is part of my mpg issue. I was pulling doubles at about 55k#'s
Attached Thumbnails
20141226_111051.jpg  

THUNDERUSONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #23

For us the Truck Conversion is the best. There are lots of rv'rs that pull their 5th wheel camper with an HDT. If I was to be a 5th wheel camper for sure I'd pull it with an HDT. We like all of the aspects of travelling in one rig. Mrs. can roam about and lay on the sofa while I'm driving. And we often travel with guests so being cramped up in a tow vehicle not able to get to the living quarters is not for us. When looking for your ultimate rig I think you should first try to figure out what you need in it. Garage, slides, etc.... Check out lots of rigs. You're going to have to travel to find the rigs. Another trick is to go to a race track. Chat it up with the spouses of the racers while they're hanging around the rigs. Most will be happy to converse with somebody not interested in the race cars. You'll be able to get invited into a bunch of the rigs to check them out too.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
For us the Truck Conversion is the best. There are lots of rv'rs that pull their 5th wheel camper with an HDT. If I was to be a 5th wheel camper for sure I'd pull it with an HDT. We like all of the aspects of travelling in one rig. Mrs. can roam about and lay on the sofa while I'm driving. And we often travel with guests so being cramped up in a tow vehicle not able to get to the living quarters is not for us. When looking for your ultimate rig I think you should first try to figure out what you need in it. Garage, slides, etc.... Check out lots of rigs. You're going to have to travel to find the rigs. Another trick is to go to a race track. Chat it up with the spouses of the racers while they're hanging around the rigs. Most will be happy to converse with somebody not interested in the race cars. You'll be able to get invited into a bunch of the rigs to check them out too.
Great Advice!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
fantastic advice (as always) from bob !

for us - the Old English Sheep Dog lays on one couch (jack-knife on the passenger side), the wife or kids are on the other couch....and the dog can walk up the steps (cant do that with a conventional tractor).

the only reason we stop is for the do or i to to do our business or stretch our legs...

the family can watch tv (surf the internet) make sandwiches, use the bathroom, sleep, play games etc w/out stopping....you cant do that w/ a bumper pull or 5'er

we considered a bumper pull (so we could continue to put bikes or motorcycles in the truck bed - but didnt like the fact that we'd be pulling something we couldn't use (while driving)...our milage is certainly no worse (if not better) than any diesel pickup truck - and i venture to say that our safety factor is considerably higher.

I talked to several couples at races - everyone invited me inside to look around and share their experiences.

we like the larger/deeper slide on our coach - and it doesnt feel claustrophobic when the slide is retracted / going down the road.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERUSONE View Post
I know Don. I didn't realize the weight until I had it awhile and got to comparing weight tickets. Mine is 47' everything on it is just a little bigger. In nearly every dept. Water, waste, tanks...propane...build out...slides... i can't really point to one particular thing to say that's it. I do have to say that the Mercedes gets it done. And so far no issues. I gotta look at my gears again to see what ratio I have. It's fairly tall for what it weights. Here is a pic of my tach with some coal on the fire. This is part of my mpg issue. I was pulling doubles at about 55k#'s
yeah i would agree - i think we found our MPG differential

you coach must have the 6" roof extension/option - which is really nice and makes a huge difference in the feel & perception of roominess.

what is your coach weight (alone) ?
Im at 32k w/ beer & water.

how large are your tanks again ?
my fresh is 220g
the gray & black tanks are 65g each iirc (maybe only 55 each).

we have a conventional propane/ac volt RV fridge (2 door, model - 1 door for fridge & freezer) - i would have liked to have a side by side model but honestly we never have needed it (even on a long trip)

our water heater is the conventional tank style (not aqua-hot) at 10g and its plenty...weve never run out of hot water - even when taking 4 showers back to back.

our generator is 10kw and we only have 2 roof AC units.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #27

I'm at 44k just the coach now. 300 gallons fresh (true king size bed). 2 75 gal grey. 1 75 gal black. I need to look at the propane again. It's the largest one I have ever seen on an rv of any kind. My ceilings are right at 8' (love that feature). Washer with separate dryer. Etc. Etc. I have a buddy with a 45' Renegade. We can park side by side and you walk in his and then walk in mine and its not even the same ballgame. Even his wife said....well ours sux now . I put that true HD sat on for when you get there and changed all my Tv's out for smart 3d's and put the biggest ones I could fit. She liked that option.

Pic is the 50 in the bedroom.......from the bed....it's raining outside right now....
Attached Thumbnails
20150322_113528.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #28

Ok.....evidently it makes a difference on which way I am holding the phone.....
Attached Thumbnails
20150322_113948.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #29

nice - tank size, we've never burned thru more than 100 gallons of fresh water in a 4 day weekend at the track w/ 4 people. OCCASIONALLY i have to "leach" some gray water off (under the cover of darkness)....watering the field grass a little

we don't have a washer dryer - i think the wife would like it but she's not bothered by it & says when we go away for the weekend she doesnt want to do laundry

what size are your fuel tanks ? mine are supposed to be twin 65's but i can get a good 70 gallons in them (when I'm pushing it, TOO far).
Old 03-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #30

I've been known to do special ops gray water reduction myself at times. This is my first WD set up. Now I am spoiled on it. I take dirty clothes with me. I know it's crazy. U get a WD and u will burn through your fresh water if u need to do a load or 2 off the grid.

My fuel tanks are 75g's. And it blows as thirsty as mine is. Heck I've got 134gal capacity in my 1 ton dually. That and a 600hp motor would be the only wish list items I would change on mine. But those are wish list for real. It does everything I need it to do and then some.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #31

Default Optima Help

Hello, I was looking at an Optima... Freightliner, Mercedes. The manufacturer from my research is out of business? I see they had some problems with their trailers but not much info on their conversions? Please help with any info...past owners..current owners..likes dislikes and problems.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #32

are you having problems ?? if the coach is in good condition i wouldnt hesitate to buy one !

most of these are piece parts sourced from other manufactures (other than custom cabinets) - the switches, power supplies, water heaters, pumps, tanks, steps, generators, engines & transmissions all can be obtained / repaired.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #33

I'm not having problems, I was looking at one to purchase...I just can't find much info on the conversions. I found they had some issues at the bulkhead to the cab? If anyone has one just wanted their opinion of quality and any problems.

Up North is offline   Reply With Quote