Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Manufacturer Discussion (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f96/)
-   -   2006 Transport Designs (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f96/2006-transport-designs-4842/)

DrFun 05-10-2006 10:25 AM

Our rig is complete. Pictures are posted here: https://pictures.transportdesigns.com...orhomes/Olson/

Steve and his crew at Transport Designs built a small, custom floorplan that is a perfect match to our needs. If you want high quality and have requirements that other manufacturers say can't be done, contact Steve Mattie. If you can dream it, he can build it.

Warpath 05-10-2006 10:48 AM

Hey Alan -

The rig looks sweet! How will you be using it?

What motor, hp, & trans do you have in your M2?

Bill

Gary Atsma 05-10-2006 05:37 PM

WHOA! That is JUST the size I have in mind(give or take)! Sweet rig! Alan, If you don't mind, could you divulge the approx cost of the conversion, excluding the truck? Not to be nosey(OK, I'm nosey....), I'll have an idea what I'm up against. Thanks!
Gary

DrFun 05-10-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Warpath:
How will you be using it?

What motor, hp, & trans do you have in your M2?
We favor undeveloped forest service campgrounds and state parks. So, maneuverability was a prime consideration. We also don't plan to tow anything unless our destination dictates otherwise. We'll carry a motorcycle on a lift on the back of the motorhome as our runabout.

Our M2 has the 300 hp / 860 lb-ft MBE 926 engine with an Allison 3000TRV transmission. We haven't made any mountain trips yet but the power seems adequate. Nonetheless, I'm anxious to hear the outcome of your plans to increase your output to 330 HP. Will that also involve some transmission work to handle the 1000 lb-ft of torque?

DrFun 05-10-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
WHOA! That is JUST the size I have in mind(give or take)! Sweet rig! Alan, If you don't mind, could you divulge the approx cost of the conversion, excluding the truck? Not to be nosey(OK, I'm nosey....), I'll have an idea what I'm up against. Thanks!
Gary
Gary - It is a "cute" little rig, eh? In fact, there are Born Free and Lazy Daze rigs on the ever-popular Ford van chassis that are longer than ours. We're just under 26.5 feet overall length.

The base price at the time our contract was signed was about $65k. Of course, options and your specs would greatly affect the price. The largest single option we added was the slideout/leveler package at about $12k.

Gary Atsma 05-11-2006 04:27 PM

Waddayamean "cute"! This is a TRUCK fercryinoutloud! (Boy! What is this world coming to? ;-). Yeah. It is one COOL rig! It could be mine, with very little change. One question, though. Does the 65K include the 12K for the slideout? I really don't care to have a slideout (personal preference). Very reasonable either way. Thanks for answering!
Gary

vapoppa 05-11-2006 07:04 PM

alan--- that's a real class "a" class c--- really- i just looked at all of the pics--- great job both in the design and the execution. WOW---the only thing i'd need is more power--- umm--- 500 with a 12 speed auto shift and 3.08 gears--- just kiddin'--- good job,-- enjoy--- mase

Gary Atsma 05-11-2006 08:49 PM

Awww, Mase, you ain't foolin' anybody around here- you DO want all that power, gears, and loooong-legged gears, if for nothin' else than to do the job in a proper manner.......at least I would.......

DrFun 05-12-2006 06:56 AM

Quote:

One question, though. Does the 65K include the 12K for the slideout?
The 65k base price was without the slideout.

Thanks for the words of praise. We're very pleased with how it turned out.

Gary Atsma 05-12-2006 03:32 PM

Thanks Alan!
Still a very reasonable price considering the overall high-quality work done in the coach. You are gonna have a blast in that thing, plus it will be relatively easy to park and maneuver into campground slots, even the non-pull-thrus; backing will be a cinch! See the thread on Warpath's rig for other comments and a question.

BravestDog 06-28-2006 07:42 PM

Alan,

Nice conversion.

A couple of questions if you would be so kind.

Do you wish you would have installed side windows in the slideout and side windows in the cabover? Can you comment on this?

Is there enough natural ventilation inside or do you generally keep the air conditioning/ventilation system running during the day and night? Can you comment on this?

How many and what size batteries do your solar panels charge? Can you talk more about the solar powered system and what it operates?

Thanks.

DrFun 06-29-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BravestDog:

(1)
Do you wish you would have installed side windows in the slideout and side windows in the cabover? Can you comment on this?

(2)
Is there enough natural ventilation inside or do you generally keep the air conditioning/ventilation system running during the day and night? Can you comment on this?

(3)
How many and what size batteries do your solar panels charge? Can you talk more about the solar powered system and what it operates?
(1) and (2):
No regrets on the window decisions thus far. It was a tradeoff between cost and thermal efficiency (adding windows would have been more expensive and reduced the overall insulation value). The large windows on each side provide plenty of cross-ventilation and the two Fantastic fans help too.

(3):
We have 4, 245 A-hr, AGM batteries (total of 980 A-hrs). There is no generator. We do primarily dry camping.

The batteries are charged by solar, the 200 Amp engine alternator, or shore power. In fact, it's only been plugged in once since we took delivery and that was just to confirm that the charger was working properly.

So far, the solar panels in combination with driving the truck have provided all charging needs.

We have a 2500 watt Xantrex inverter that powers the air conditioner, convection microwave, and coffee maker. We haven't done a "stress test" of the system (long stays in one spot with low sun angle and cloudy weather) but I expect to be able to go at least 3 days with no charging whatsoever. Unlimited stays with reasonable sunlight.

Hope this helps.

Gary Atsma 06-29-2006 04:36 PM

Good info on the electrical setup, Alan. I myself would mostly be staying in campgrounds WITH electrical hookup, but it's good to know what you can do with a good battery, inverter, and solar charging setup. BTW, how long can you run the A/C on batteries w/ the inverter?
Between you and Mase Sanford, it's been a goldmine of info on this site today! Keep it coming guys, this is getting me more charged up all the time!
Gary

DrFun 06-29-2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

how long can you run the A/C on batteries w/ the inverter?
There are too many variables to get an exact time. But, assuming that the A/C was the only load and keeping the drain of the batteries to the suggested 50%, the inverter would run the A/C for about 5 hours. Since the A/C doesn't run constantly, we've never had any problem being comfortable without draining the batteries.

BravestDog 12-20-2006 07:54 PM

I have a few more questions if you'd like to respond.

1. Do you wish you had more windows or skylights? Do you have skylights?
2. Do you wish you had a rear bumper?
3. How much height/width/depth in the overhead bunk?
4. Do the truck seats rotate so they can face inside the cabin?
5. Do they use this type of open cell gray foam that you see in this picture here and here for insulation? Does this stuff absorb water if the cabin were to develop a leak?
6. Is your truck 200amp alternator a standard unit or is it an upgrade? Do you have any idea how long it takes to charge the batteries if driving? Will they charge on idle?
7. Is the diner table fixed or does it drop down to become a mini sleeper for a baby or child?
8. Is your roof flat or is there a dome to it? Do you wish you had a walk on roof?
9. Can you unfold your bed with the slideout in the retracted position? How comfy or uncomfy are these mattresses?
10. How much does a chassis cost?
11. If you could, what would you change to make it better?

DrFun 12-21-2006 04:36 PM

see next posting

DrFun 12-21-2006 08:05 PM

1. Do you wish you had more windows or skylights? Do you have skylights?

No - the current setup is fine. The only 'skylights' are the translucent domes on the Fantastic fans. But, we don't spend much 'daylight time' in the coach -- too busy hiking and doing stuff outside. So artificial lighting is much more important to us than natural lighting with skylights.

2. Do you wish you had a rear bumper?

No. What is not shown in any of the posted pictures is the special lift that we installed to haul a motorcycle with a sidecar. If we did not have this lift, a bumper would be a good thing at least for cosmetic purposes.

3. How much height/width/depth in the overhead bunk?
Approx: 26" high x 8' wide x 52" deep

4. Do the truck seats rotate so they can face inside the cabin?
no

5. Do they use this type of open cell gray foam that you see in this picture here and here for insulation? Does this stuff absorb water if the cabin were to develop a leak?

The gray foam is for acoustic deadening. The primary thermal insulation is closed-cell, high performance "bubble wrap". Yes, the gray foam insulation would absorb water.

6. Is your truck 200amp alternator a standard unit or is it an upgrade? Do you have any idea how long it takes to charge the batteries if driving? Will they charge on idle?

It was an upgrade specified when the truck was ordered. It will charge the batteries from a 50% 'drain' to full charge in about 6 hours of driving. It does charge at idle, albeit slower, but we've never had to do this. I should add that we run the refrigerator on AC via the inverter when we're on the road. We only run the fridge on propane when stopped and no shore power is available.

7. Is the diner table fixed or does it drop down to become a mini sleeper for a baby or child?
It is removable but is not configured as a sleeper.

8. Is your roof flat or is there a dome to it? Do you wish you had a walk on roof?

There's a slight crown to the roof. While not a true 'walk on' design, I've walked around a bit up there an there's no problem. It does flex quite a bit but, in reality, there's not much need to go up there. The a/c, solar panels, vents, and fantastic fans take up most of the room. The roof is also 'preped' for a possible satellite dish. All this stuff consumes most of the available space.

9. Can you unfold your bed with the slideout in the retracted position? How comfy or uncomfy are these mattresses?

The slideout must be extended to open the hide-a-bed. In the event that we're somewhere that we can't extend the slideout, one of us would sleep on the couch and the other in the bunk.

The hide-a-bed with air mattress is extremely comfortable. No complaints with this setup whatsoever.

10. How much does a chassis cost?
There are too many variables to give an accurate estimate but ours was about $60k.

11. If you could, what would you change to make it better?

The list is short:
<LI> Ducted furnace. (I might even consider a diesel-fired hydronic unit. This would make heating the holding tanks easier.)
<LI> More AC circuit breakers. (We have a small Blue Sea power distribution panel. The 120V coil for the HWH (which we don't use very often) is shared with the coach outlets.)
<LI> Remote-fill for LP tank and mount the tank between the frame rails. We're tight on external storage and having the LP tank take up a good chunk of a storage compartment isn't ideal.

Racing4fun 01-15-2007 09:59 AM

We are looking at having a new COE conversion completed. They are a real space saver. They are very popular in Europe. Do you guys know of anyone that can do this?

DrFun 01-15-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Racing4fun:
We are looking at having a new COE conversion completed. They are a real space saver. They are very popular in Europe. Do you guys know of anyone that can do this?
Search this forum for 'COE' for lots of relevant discussion on this topic. As for who can do this type of conversion, contact Steve Mattie at Transport Designs. He has done many one-off custom rigs. While I don't know if he's done a COE conversion, he certainly has the skills and staff to do so.

Racing4fun 01-16-2007 11:04 PM

Dr Fun, I traveled to PA before I had my first coach built. When I paid a visit to the shop all of the photos and conversions looked like horse trailer on the exterior. NOTHING SEXY OR SLEEK HERE.

The bunks built over the cabs are far from good looking. I must admit since I was at the shop he has built a few nice conversions!

Who is marketing his coach? Steve was a very nice guy but he did not impress as being having a great sales staff! BORING comes to mind.

Conversion builders are like Henry Ford. They hate change. You can see that from the web site. Why do you think he can build a COE that does not look like a horse trailer?

rjbutler 01-17-2007 05:48 PM

NRC had an Argosy at the PRI show a couple of years ago.

Racing4fun 01-17-2007 11:29 PM

Hey! Does anyone have pics of that COE conversion! Several people told me about that COE conversion but I did not see it! Dave

Racing4fun 01-18-2007 09:32 PM

Dr. Fun, Dr. Fun,

I was recently on another RV Forum. I notice the many of the same member names which appear on this site. As I pointed out on that site an open discussion helps customer locate good conversion companies. At the same time when someone on the site pushes one company or bashes another I question the reason why.

Since joining this site I have noticed many of the members seem to push one conversion company or another. From my past RV research I question any blogger over selling one company or another. In reviewing this site I see several other members have notice the same issue. My question is always what do they have to benefit from over selling one conversion or another?

You seem to be a big fan of Transport Design. You state you had a coach built by this company. Did you see a COE being completed while your conversion was in the shop? I do not find any photos on their site of a CEO conversion.

The reason for my question stems from a review of your posting on this site. You appear to know more then the average RV customer. You answer the question as if you build or sale the units in question. You are way too eager to funnel sales leads to Steve at Transport Design! Are you the marketing agent for Steve at Transport Design? Or do you just believe the company can design and complete the project? Why do you believe this company can complete the project?

Respectfully Submitted!

rjbutler 01-19-2007 08:16 PM

Whenever a person buys a certain brand of anything (especially expensive things) feel they have made a choice to go with the best they can afford. I looked at the pics Dr Fun posted and they did a nice job. I think Transport Designs has come a long way. There were a couple of little things I would question but IMO he got a nice conversion.

Some conversions......
There are some conversions on here that I would seriously question and point out many questionable ways of doing things......just look at the pics and use common sense. How do the interior sheets not wrap when there are no nailers for the edge of the sheets? Lp tanks put in without a vented door or open to ground so the vapors can escape. Putting water and sewage tanks in then doing the sheeting......how do you ever service the tanks when they can't fit through the doors. 5.5 kw generator will run two roof airs......but not much else, too small why do it? Insulation compressed to studs has relatively no r-value.Square entrance and compartment doors went out 5 years ago, radius corners look nicer and cost the same, slam latches are required. New conversions with a crappy 3 piece shower surround. How are the basements heated? Square corners on coach are oudated and just plain shitty looking. How are the floors insulated? One horizontal 2x3 tube running lengthwise for the floor and a 2x2 running length wise for the roof is not enough to keep the twist out, not to mention securing the sheeting. No diagonal bracing of any kind.Undercoating is not a proper rustproffing for bare steel.Just some general obserations for you.

Randy

DrFun 01-20-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

You seem to be a big fan of Transport Design. You state you had a coach built by this company. Did you see a COE being completed while your conversion was in the shop? I do not find any photos on their site of a CEO conversion.

The reason for my question stems from a review of your posting on this site. You appear to know more then the average RV customer. You answer the question as if you build or sale the units in question. You are way too eager to funnel sales leads to Steve at Transport Design! Are you the marketing agent for Steve at Transport Design? Or do you just believe the company can design and complete the project? Why do you believe this company can complete the project?
Respectfully replying...

Thanks for the compliment about knowing more than the average customer. My knowledge is only from years of reading and comparing products.

I am not a marketeer or sales rep of any kind -- just a satisfied customer. FWIW, I believe that some of Transport Designs' products are sold through or marketed by Cowboy Cadillac.

I specifically stated in my earlier posting that I did not know if Transport Designs had done a COE conversion before. I do know that they have done many, one-off, highly custom rigs and that the team has the skills necessary to design and build a COE conversion.

I'm no more eager to funnel sales through Transport Designs than a satisfied customer of Showhauler or Toolset or any other conversion company would be. It's no different that the Windows/Linux/Apple preferences in computer operating systems or the Ford/GM/DC preferences in cars and trucks. If you find a company and product that you like, you tend to recommend that product to others. If you are treated badly, you tend to dissuade others from that product.

DrFun 01-20-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Racing4fun:
Hey! Does anyone have pics of that COE conversion! Several people told me about that COE conversion but I did not see it! Dave
I'm not exactly sure which pictures you're looking for but this thread has a few pics and some links to other COE rigs:

Warpath posting in this forum

Racing4fun 01-21-2007 01:53 PM

"My Two Cents "

I am not Bashing Dr. Fun or any person who has spent the time to travel to "EACH" manufacture. It appears Dr. Fun is part of the sales team by his comments. Not giving advice on the other of quality builders he travel to visit or investigated before selecting the company in question. He also offers way to much advice which would only be know by a manufature or member of a sales group. That is what I see. Maybe I am wrong. It would not be the first time. LOL.

I have traveled to the Renegade plant. They have a nice product but it was not what we wanted. But I will not point out the reason why. That would be unfair to the manufacture. I also travel to NRC, Showhauler and the Wild side plant. Each had a great product line. I have met many of the dealers whom sell Renegade and Showhauler and other so called custom conversions. Most everyone I have met appear to be people using the internet to make a living. That is why I support sites like this.

On any Rv Truck Conversion Web Site one common theme appears to be the middle man issue. Renegade, Showhauler and other conversion lines are sold via Dealerships. AKA better known as Middle Men? Most of these middle men sell conversions and or trailer for several companies. All of these middle men make a profit. Without the retail middle men Renegade and Showhauler could not turn out the large numbers of conversion. The small conversion companies also use middle man. So ask yourself why are these guys bashing one conversion or the other? Everyone manufacture a product for customers who like their coach.

For the guys looking for information on Rv Truck Conversions and manufactures, please discount comment positive or negative response about one conversion or another. Every plant I visited had positive marketing and sales points. Why would anyone on a message board push one manufacture so hard if they were not selling the unit or building the unit? Ask yourself why?

When I sold my heavy equipment and construction business I walked into an RV dealership to explore the new truck style motor homes. The sales person did not know of my back ground and started in on the canned sales pitch you speak off which he learned at manufactures meetings. It was far from truthful. But as it has been pointed out for most companies the truth would hurt sales.

About this same time the internet was coming of age. I started reading forms like this. In these forums I found the same issue except this time it is a dealer or sales person posing as helpful blogger. Now anytime a blogger attempts to influence the reader, guess who I call. Yes, the company they are degrading. I am learning very quickly while surfing the internet that many of the people tossing their two cents in on these topics do so on several RV truck hauler sites.

In most cases the companies they are bashing have been the most educational and informative. So I believe the education process is what most manufacture are afraid of. Why?

When the reader finds anyone knocking or spinning anything stop. Contact the vender directly to find out more about that company. This holds true for the company Dr. Fun is promoting. Never take anything at face value. That is what I see. When anyone is looking for a new or used RV only believe a small fraction of what you read on the internet or in trade magazines that generate their profit from RV dealers or RV Manufactures advertising. Remember it's all about the company and the warranty.

These sites are great place to locate new vendor. In my 40 years of dealing with the RV business on a personal level. I have learned when anyone attempts to steer me in one direction or the other they have a personal motive.

Most quality RV is only as good as their warranty. I have owned everything from cheesy travel trailer to Prevost bus conversions. If the dealership tells you the Trailer or Motorhome has less then a three year bumper to bumper warranty run off the lot as fast as you can! Do not fall for the extended warranty B/S.

A quality conversion will have a long warranty. Don't fall for the "it's as good as a Prevost for half of the price". You can't get quality on a beer budget. If you are on a beer budget look for a quality unit that is 3 or 4 years old but remains under factory warranty.

If you are planning to spend $50,000 or $250,000 on a conversion go see all of these manufactures. To close, my advice is to do your own research. Consider a few short vacations to visit the manufactures and ask for a list of customer who have purchased their conversion. It appears to me to be the only way to get the information you need.

If you read my bloggs you will see I was taken for a $200,000.00 dollar ride. I found the builder listed on a web site like this. I traveled to the shop and bam! Before I know it my money was gone! I will admit I was not the brightest bulb in the room. I do not blame the internet. I have purchased many nice products since my loss. I blame the retail RV Dealer AKA middle man who directed me to the builder and the builder himself. The dealer collected his profit and refused to return my deposit. The manufacture filed numbers with the IRS. The internet site I found the ad was not at falt I was for believing the bloggs. Lesson learned.

That is why I question anyone pushing one company too hard. Like Dr. Fun. Again he may be a happy customer but he would appear to me to work for the company in question. If I am incorrect I apologize.

This has been a very positive exchange of Ideas. Thank You Mr. Bill for the Truck Conversion format.

Respectfully Submitted,
Dave

Gary Atsma 01-30-2007 09:00 PM

Hey Dave-
Has it possibly occured to you that the reason Dr Fun pushes Transport Designs so much is that he REALLY LIKES IT? I do the same for various products to friends of mine but I DO NOT work for or professionally promote the companies making these products. If Dr Fun says he does NOT work for or sell Transport Designs products, why the heck would he lie about it? Lighten up, already!