Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   MDT Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f95/)
-   -   Non Commercial Insurance for an MDT ?? (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f95/non-commercial-insurance-mdt-4312/)

Classicbuick65 07-08-2010 10:40 PM

Hello all

I just bought a very nicely converted crew cab 4700 International that is under the 26k lb. GVWR and has hydraulic disc brakes so no CDL or commercial plates needed. Only plan to drive is occasionally towing my enclosed car trailer and 28 ft. Equipment trailer with toy on it about 8-10 times a year. No more than 5k miles. Question:
Does anyone know of any insurance that doesn't charge you 4 figure rates on a commercial truck policy to drive it ??

A few years ago I had a very nice converted 35' GMC PD4104 motorcoach and RV alliance only charged me $550 per year for full coverage with towing !! Where are those kinds of places today ??

Thanks for any help

Mark

Radman 07-09-2010 06:22 AM

Mark,

We have an HDT converted to an RV. The trick in MO seems to be to have the Highway Patrol inspect and "reclassify" the Comercial Truck - VIN to a Non Comercial RV VIN. This means no CDL or other special indorsments on your license and the ability to use more traditional insurance carriers.

We have been using GEICO for the last few years and it was pretty easy and affordable to get set up.

It's different in many states but may be worth looking into this approach in your state...

Good luck,

Rad

Doc Weaver 07-09-2010 08:30 AM

After a 6 month battle, I went to the Ohio Clerk of Courts and her advice was to go to the BMV and fill out the paperwork to re-title the vehicle as a motor home. I now have full replacement coverage for less than than commercial liability. My coverage is now with State Farm.

I am intrigued with your name. I am a classic Buick fanatic myself. I still own my first car, which is a '64 Skylark convertible. Are you toting a classic Buick in that big trailer of yours?

Doc Weaver

Classicbuick65 07-09-2010 05:36 PM

Thanks for the reply guys

Well in Oregon I'm told by the DMV that having an RV means having a toilet in it. Since I don't have a monster sleeper on the truck ( like a toter home does usually ) it would be a tough sell to the State Cops or the DMV to say a porta potty on the rear seat floor qualifies as a head ( lol ).

Anyone heard of reduced ( vs. commercial ) rates for MDT's and 5th wheels that on the same policy ?? Heard this in passing from a couple guys but so far no companies confirm it.

In answer to the the Buick in my logon name. I have a serious addiction for '63-'65 Buick Riviera's. My pride and joy is a Flame Red '65 Riviera GS with the factory dual quad 425 nailhead in it. Those and Porsche 914's with mid engine V8's in them ( need to sell a few of both these types of cars if there is any interest ..hint hint ). Also restore Yamaha 2 stroke street bikes . Big trailer is for a 10k lb. '41 Dodge Power Wagon project on an M35 Deuce chassis.

Any info ??

Mark

Doc Weaver 07-09-2010 07:48 PM

have you ever been to Bowling Green Kentucky for the GS club of America show? It was started as a GS club, but has expanded to GN, GNX, GSX, Skylarks, Rivs, Wildcats, in fact, there have been some Opels with Stage 1 455s. It's the only place I have seen a complete row of REAL GSXs and GNXs. I would love to see your rides!

AS far as a toilet, an incinolet can be added fairly easy. Outside of that, I am afraid your in for commercial insurance. Buying a policy that the insurance company can balk on, is like having no insurance and still paying for it. Good luck my friend.

Doc Weaver

wadesgames 07-11-2010 06:05 AM

Is the truck and trailer combo still under 26K. If the combo is over 26K do you still need a CDL? If the pull vehical is not a RV.