Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #1

Ok so in my crazy International 4700 project I have come accross a bad radiator. I was considering getting it fixed, but the steel header tank is shot. So a buddy gave me a four core Frieght Liner FL70 radiator that fit just fine in my truck. The issue is that the radiator inlet and outlet lines are 2". My trucks upper outlet is 2.25" and the lower inlet is 3". The upper is not a problem, but how do I go from 3" to 2". I canont find a hose or coupling that size. Any suggestioins? Thanks?

Dodger

Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #2

These are all inside diameter of the hose, right? I'll make some calls and see what I can find.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #3

On a smaller scale, some of my hot rod buddies use aluminum pipe with rubber hose on each end. If you did this, you could possibly use a 2.5" pipe with a 1/2 inch up on one side and a 1/2 inch down on the other. I haven't tried it personally, but maybe you could perfect the idea.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Back in my kit-car engineering days, we would make a "radiator tube" out of a coat hanger, then take it to the muffler shop and have them bend us a prototype out of galvanized muffler pipe to match the hanger, then a 4" hose connector hose with a pair of hose clamps on opposite directions (don't forget to rough up the tube with sandpaper) and bingo instant transfer line.

Now days muffler shops stock stainless steel so for a few dollars more you never have to worry 'bout rust out.

upon re-reading your OP

They can expand one end or the other to upsize a short "adapter" for you.

I also have been known to take my original rad hoses back behind the counter at the NAPA store and "shop" for something that works even if I have to chop both ends off.

-blizz
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #5

may want to think about how much coolant flow loss going down to 2" hoses. what engine did freightliner have?
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Blizz,

“Kit Car Days”...see it is a sickness. The truck conversion is just a much larger version of a Kit Car. It never leaves your body; it sometimes goes dormant for a few years and the shows up again in a slightly different flavor. Maybe restoring and racing vintage motorcycles or something like that, but who knows?

Bottom line...I love the Kit Car - coat hanger story...been there and done that too.

Rad
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #7

I never thought of it as a big kit car. Very insightful.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #8

Ok, thanks for all the great advice, I went to midas, and for 20 bucks they made me an awsome upper and lower pipe. I have to bring the lower pipe to have it bent a little more. As far as proper coolant flow, my truck has a DT360, and the truck the radiator came from was a 5.9 Cummins. My upper engine outlet is only 2.25" OD, the radiator is 2" ID, so they are almost the same size. For what ever reason International made the lower engine inlet 3" OD. From what I understand it can not move anymore coolant than the upper outlet can move.

Dodger