Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Larry Zeigler (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f93/)
-   -   Financing Options & general questions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f93/financing-options-general-questions-5563/)

robertsonthego 10-25-2002 08:33 AM

Well I've been looking for a site like this for a long time. I used to drive long haul so this would come as an easy adjustment for me but the wife has never driven one so she says auto tranny is a must (she really plans on driving), and my other concern is where do the kids (1 4yr old daughter and 1 3yr old black lab) sit? What kind of financing is available? Where to start looking for a truck? Larry, your trucks are awesome, almost what I'm looking for. I would want a bed behind the cab for 4 wheelers/jet skis/junk/etc. I have a buddy who shortens/lengthens trucks for a living so that would be no problem. I really like the Volvo, I'm pretty sure that's what I want. Liked them even when I was driving the old White Freightler cabover (73 model) back in 85. I'm so excited about finding this site I can't get my questions straight. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

onezman 10-25-2002 08:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robertsonthego:
Well I've been looking for a site like this for a long time. I used to drive long haul so this would come as an easy adjustment for me but the wife has never driven one so she says auto tranny is a must (she really plans on driving), and my other concern is where do the kids (1 4yr old daughter and 1 3yr old black lab) sit? What kind of financing is available? Where to start looking for a truck? Larry, your trucks are awesome, almost what I'm looking for. I would want a bed behind the cab for 4 wheelers/jet skis/junk/etc. I have a buddy who shortens/lengthens trucks for a living so that would be no problem. I really like the Volvo, I'm pretty sure that's what I want. Liked them even when I was driving the old White Freightler cabover (73 model) back in 85. I'm so excited about finding this site I can't get my questions straight. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-------------------------------------------------
John,

I can't really be of any help concerning financing. I imagine it might be difficult to borrow money to buy a Volvo or any tractor for recreational purposes.

OTOH, If you have good credit established, a line of credit, or collateral, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

As far as where your daughter and your dog would sit, there are seat belt connections on the back of the sleeper, and on the floor in front of the bed. It would be pretty easy to devise a child seat restraint, or you could remove the mattress from the bed frame and attach a seat on the platform where the mattress lays. The dog could lay on the bed or on a blanket beside her on the bed frame.

I don't think there are any laws covering children or dogs riding in tractors or motorhomes. I think most kids just sit on the bed. There is a netting of seat belt material that stretches across the bed to prevent anyone on the bed from being thrown off the bed in case of accident.

I know many drivers live full time in their tractors. Some take their families and pets with them on the road.

Auto shifts are pretty scarce. When I do find them, they are always in 1999 or later model tractors. They also add about 7 to 10K to the price of the tractor.

Have you considered a tractor with a super 10 transmission? They have only 5 lever shifts.

Driving towing a fiver would not require more than 3 lever shifts. Bobtail, two lever shifts are all that's required.

I currently own a 98 Volvo 610 that is exactly like the "IGOTYOURRVHAULERRIGHTHERE" Volvo. It has an N 14 435 HP and a Super 10 speed transmission. It has not yet been converted to single axle. However, it is scheduled to go to the frame shop next Tuesday.

It comes fully inspected, and fully serviced, with a 2 year/200,000 mile major component engine warranty from Cummins Engine Company. The transmission and rear axle are covered by manufacturers warranty through May of 2003.

onezman

robertsonthego 10-29-2002 09:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Larry. I was hoping to get others but that's ok. I am really stoked about this. But I don't have 35-40K laying around to pay cash so I will have to find some kind of financing. I travel a lot in my business, sometimes in my rig. We are selling the house and plan on full timing until we find a place we want to call home. If I go out of country the family will travel wherever they want, visit family, sight see, whatever. So I do believe that having a rig like this is important. I am also interested in the licensing as a motorhome. I haven't done any research on Washington state yet but plan to. I'm not sure how it will work if we are full timing, how do you show residency in a particular state if you don't have a permanent residence? I have been looking at trucks on the internet but it is very confusing. I think the Volvo is the truck for me, I can drive the ten speed, I'm sure the wife could learn, and I would want the highest gears possible ie 3.42 or something like that. Where do you get your trucks? I also believe that there is future in what you are doing as a business. But one also needs money to get started. Anyway I'm just rambling now. Thanks again. John

onezman 10-29-2002 05:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robertsonthego:
Thanks for the reply Larry. I was hoping to get others but that's ok. I am really stoked about this. But I don't have 35-40K laying around to pay cash so I will have to find some kind of financing. I travel a lot in my business, sometimes in my rig. We are selling the house and plan on full timing until we find a place we want to call home. If I go out of country the family will travel wherever they want, visit family, sight see, whatever. So I do believe that having a rig like this is important. I am also interested in the licensing as a motorhome. I haven't done any research on Washington state yet but plan to. I'm not sure how it will work if we are full timing, how do you show residency in a particular state if you don't have a permanent residence? I have been looking at trucks on the internet but it is very confusing. I think the Volvo is the truck for me, I can drive the ten speed, I'm sure the wife could learn, and I would want the highest gears possible ie 3.42 or something like that. Where do you get your trucks? I also believe that there is future in what you are doing as a business. But one also needs money to get started. Anyway I'm just rambling now. Thanks again. John<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------
John,

Every State has different regulations for registering a motorhome. Washington and Oregon are both easy states to register in. I have registered 5 Volvos in Oregon. Oregon requires: "sleeping and cooking facilities" (bed and microwave). My conversions, almost all without modification beyond what I did, have been registered as motorhomes by heir respective buyers in Washington, California, Nevada, Oregon and Virginia.

I have sold two Volvo conversions within the past three weeks. One Volvo is going to Wisconsin, and one to Texas for registration. They are being picked up by the respective buyers on the 6th and 8th of next month.

I already bought another 98 Volvo 610 just like the on on the "igotyourrvhaulerrighther" URL found elsewhere on this forum. It is just off lease from the same company as the other two. I will have it converted and for sale within about 35 days.

Everyone has to be registered somewhere. Place of registration would be your choice. I think all and State can require is two IDs, a rent receipt, and any piece of mail sent to the same address on the rent receipt. You can register from an RV Park.

The rear axle ratio on an OTR tractor depends on whether the transmission is direct drive or overdrive. For example, a direct drive with say... a 400 HP engine would probable have a 3:90 or 4:10 ratio. That same engine with a .73 OD would have maybe a 2:79 or 2:93 ratio.

In general, you will only find 3:36, 3:42, or 3:55 axle ratios with OD transmissions when you buy a tractor with 500 or more HP. Then you are generally looking at 13, 14, 15, or 18 speed transmissions.

I currently have another 98 Volvo 610, N14 ESP+ 435 HP Cummins with 1550 Torque. It has the super 10 speed transmission with .74 OD. It has a 3:73 ratio. That's about the best ratio you can find for that HP and torque rating. With a 435 Cummins, clutch engagement torque is 900 foot pounds, torque rises to 1550 pounds at 1,100 RPMS, and maintains 1550 foot pounds of torque straight across to about 1600 RPMs before it begins to decline.

With 22.5 Lo Pros, you cruise 65 MPH at about 1,480 RPMs. Engine manufacturers build engines to operate at the optimum fuel mileage/power curve between 1450 to 1550 RPM.

I go anywhere in the US to buy Volvos that meet my qualifications. I have purchased Volvos in Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver, and other Cities. I am a cash buyer, yet quite a few dealers have declined to meet my requirements. If they won't, I walk away.

Something to avoid is any tractor that has been repoed. It takes about 7 months to legally process a repo. Meanwhile, the owner keeps running the tractor without making payments, and without servicing or caring for the tractor. Sometimes owners losing their tractors intentionally damage them.

Never buy a repo. Problem is, often you can't find out if a truck is a Repo or not, unless you know what you are doing.

onezman

[This message was edited by onezman on October 29, 2002 at 08:38 PM.]

[This message was edited by onezman on October 29, 2002 at 08:47 PM.]

robertsonthego 10-29-2002 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info Larry. I really appreciate it. You'll probably hear from me again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] John

snafaffa 08-08-2004 12:17 PM

Hi guys.

I would like to add a question, with respect to axle ratios. it seams to me, the higher the ratio (power curve permitting) the better fuel milage one would get. do you have any info with this respect. thank. in advance

Gary Atsma 08-09-2004 04:37 PM

Snafaffa-
I've always heard that if you run an engine at or near the torque peak RPM, is where you will get the best mileage. This will usually be in the low to mid teens in RPM. Running it much lower in RPM will usually be of no benefit, and faster will just use more fuel.
Just my .02! Gary

gkbikers 08-09-2004 07:47 PM

Getting back to financing for a minute, try this: Get quotes from the NADA and the Black Book on the truck you want to purchase. Then, get pictures and prices on converted class 8 trucks from customizers like Butler Motor Coach, etc. They go for a BUNCH!

Take all this documentation to your friendly banker and explain what you are doing. You may find them more open-minded than you think. Also, credit unions many times are looking for places to loan money, so they may be more open to this approach.

Just a thought.

Gary

KAYE RIVERCITY 08-10-2004 09:12 PM

....and a credit score of more than 600 also helps....geof

02-11-2005 02:28 PM

RV FINANCING CAN BE A PAIN!I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL BUS CONVERSIONS. THEN I SAW THE TRUCK MOTORHOME CONVERSIONS!! JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE! I SHOPPED NEW AND USED CHASSIS! THEN I HIT A WALL! FINANCING! I SEARCHED THE NET! CALLED MY BANK! THEN I FOUND A COMPANY THAT HELPED ME FINANCE AND BUILD A CUSTOM COACH! THE COMPANY IS RV TRUCK LOANS!

THEY HAVE A WEB SITE AT URL=https://www.rvtruckloans.com]TRUCK FINANCING[/URL]. RV FINANCING CAN BE A PAIN!

Gary Atsma 02-11-2005 04:44 PM

WADDAYAMEAN, FINANCING CAN BE A PAIN? FINANCING IS A PAIN! I THINK WE ALL KNOW IT ALREADY! SO TURN THE CAPLOCKS OFF ALREADY! WE ARE GLAD YOU TOLD US ABOUT "RV TRUCK LOANS"! OK? OK DARNIT!!!! (whew!)