Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > HDT / MDT RV Haulers > Larry Zeigler
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-19-2003, 04:43 AM   #21

Well I don't even know where to start, But here it goes. The more I hear this the more it piss's me off !! I'm just going to ramble on here in no order. Some people think they could be the prisadent if they wanted too.That we are all given the same chance in life. I don't agree, God did not give me the brains to be a doctor or a lawyer.( I'm sorry to say) , But it's only the truth. He did give me a little commonsence which I think should be class #1 on one's way to a four year collage. I have ment many with the four year degree who have none, Not even a lttle bit!! Now to me an RV is not what it looks like , But what it is used for ! Truck Tractor<> Used most evey day for hire to make Money 50.000 to 150.000 miles a year. RV Just that Recration for my pleasure used on occaison 5.000 to 20.000 miles a year. It should not matter what it looks like. The trouble is as I see it is when people see a truck<> They see a truck <>When they see a MH<> They see a MH. I'm not trying to change what they see. They need to look at what it is used for. . I wish I had the money to take an old winnabago and take about 5' off the back an install a 5th wheel plate. Just to see what they would call it. I'm sorry about the ramblin on and on, But it just does not make any sence to me!! I am not trying to bend the Law. I am not trying to do any thing unsafe. I just want a spade to be called a spade. From what I gather from our DMV'S across the country It would be prefectly legal for a 90 year old first time RV owner Never drove anything bigger than a VW to to buy a 40' American dream MH weighing 35.000 Towing a 20' enclosed car trailer with a 5.000 Lb. car in it and be Legal and Safe!! I don't think so!! (The common sence Part) Now I on the other hand , Have held a CDL for 20 plus years am 46 Drive a Class 8 TruckTractor <>MH call it what you want Pulling a 5th wheel. There is nothing on the road that will pull or stop a 5th wheel better or safer!! I really think our Great Law makers need to look at some other thing's out there. When I first tryed to title mine in Pa I was given. a list of what it needed to be a MH. I thought to my self, Ok that will be easy enough so I started with the norm Microwave , Fridge , Generator you all know the routin. I then went to the local notary ready to get this done and was told wait a minute I just got a fax on class 8's as MH's from the PA DMV and it states as long as it retains it ablety to tow a trailer No matter what hitch it has. The hitch may not bear any weight from the trailer ! It must be Reg. and titled as a Truck Tractor Now if they make one I'd like to know where to get one of those!! Yes I know I can't Spell That's another thing he did not give me.

WWW.YES.IRV2.COM

KZX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #22

Mike and Robert,

Mike,

The differentials are different in size and length due to the power divider on the front tandem. When the back tandem is moved forward, a longer drive shaft has to be manufactured using a new longer tube and sometimes a new yoke has to be installed on one end. The company that will be manufacturing the new driveshaft should do all the memasurements. If you mismeasure, you will have to pay for two new driveshafts.

When the new driveshaft is installed, the angle should be checked to make certain the alignment is correct. The U Joints should also be greased after installation.

Robert,

I have not yet sold a conversion to a race car hauler.

onezman

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:34 PM   #23

The things you see when you don't have a camera.On my way up to NY today I say a school bus cut off right behind the drivers seat Hauling a load of hay on the rest of the deck.I wonder how it was titled and Registerd?
Old 03-23-2003, 02:05 PM   #24

Re: -CDL and Definitions

I Just wanted to comment on geof's post, "-CDL and Definitions" on March 19, 2003. I agree that the CDL exam is written on an 8th grade level and therefore not difficult to pass. Having had a CDL at one time, I don't really mind getting one again. The problem is the driving exam which is sort of a "catch 22" in most of the states I've checked. You need to already own a truck or know somebody with a truck in order to take the test, and if you do own a truck, someone with a valid CDL needs to drive it to the testing center. The DMV testers I have spoken to indicated that if you couldn't prove the truck was legally driven to the testing center they would assume you drove it illegally and disqualify you from further testing. However, that is moot since I don't presently own a truck. That brings up the other problem of not having a current CDL. Without it, I can't test drive any trucks while shopping, nor can I legally drive home a purchased truck (unless I buy a truck already converted to a motorhome which I do not plan to do). How have the others on this forum surmounted that problem? (Note: California has no provision for non-commercial registration of class 8 trucks).

Mike
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 02:46 PM   #25

There are companies that perform the testing using their truck. When I got my CDL last year I went to a company that trains drivers for CDLs. I practiced on their truck and took the driving test with the same truck.

Mark
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:54 PM   #26

Mark,
How much did that cost? The training companies I have talked to would only allow you to test with them, using their truck, if you took their entire course which cost several thousand dollars.

Mike
Old 03-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #27

Driving a class 8 to a testing center does require a liscensed CDL driver.....firefighters are not reqired to have a CDL and can be "rented" to do the driving as well as police officers and municipal workers....Many of the schools have a "shortened program" for this reason and can rent the truck/driver to you for testing.....there are over the road drivers that will help if you ask around [for beer money usually]...most testing stations can turn you on to them if they aren't being a "prick" on that particular day....Our company has one CDL Driver with airbrake so our movements are covered....Transporting a truck may or may not require a CDL for a temp plate....check locally for sure....Picking a Broker carefully will eliminate any headaches purchasing a truck-Commercial Liscensed Brokers handle all the details-that's what they get paid for-if they can't-GET ANOTHER BROKER-that's the advantage of buying from a Commercial Broker-his business depends on closing the deal-unlike the "fly-by-night" truck sellers.....and believe me they aren't any cheaper. The biggest advantage is they carry commercial insurance-so you have some protection and recourse if something doesn't go right-anotherwords if you think your getting screwed....you probably are,so go after them. A fellow just selling trucks on the side gives only an opinion-for what it's worth-we all have opinions-his is backed by nothing. While a Commercial Broker is an established business-with insurance-a reputation to protect- and an address/stake in the community.....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 07:24 PM   #28

Dano,

You are probably correct if it's a for hire race car hauler. If it's your own race car I think It would take a real P@$#%& to try to give you a ticket. Under that logic, your car is a commercial vehicle because, it's for hire, your driving it to work after all. You're using it to make money. Better register it commercially and get that CDL. If you dont, you may just find yourself in jail

I have never heard of anyone being given a ticket while towing their travel trailer.
There are always nay sayers no matter what you do. If you listen to them, you'll never leave your house.

Larry
Old 03-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike E:
Mark,
How much did that cost? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I did train with them. I passed the written test on my own and then went to them for driving training. I trained eight hours, then two hours for the driving test. The total was about $1000.

Mark
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:19 AM   #30

Thanks Mark,
$1000 seems too high a price to pay for something I will only need temporarily, but I will shop around. I am fairly confident that I can drive my own truck with my Hawaii DL since the Hawaii CDL manual says that a person does not need a CDL to drive any vehicle used only to transport one's family or personal possessions, but I will keep a copy of that provision in the cab at all times as backup (and I don't know how that will fly in California, despite full faith and credit). However, that still doesn't solve the problem of test driving any prospective purchases while I am shopping (I do not really want to deal with a broker as suggested by geof). Later.
Mike
Old 03-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #31

Mark Kovalsky, hhhmmm, that name is sooo familiar. GOT IT!! Hey Mark! Good to see you here! In another life,er,ah, forum, I'm known as GWA. Neat to know you are also into truck conversions. Take care. Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:08 PM   #32

Mike,

Avoid brokers. They insert themselves into the middle of a deal, and extract a fee while providing nothing of value.

I have transported several unlicensed Volvos bobtail, some more that 1,500 miles from various points around the US. I don't have a CDL. When transporting an unlicensed truck it is necessary to stop at all open weigh stations.

Sometimes they give you the green light and sometimes they give you the red light. The red light means bring your papeerwork into the office. Take your Title and Bill of Sale. I have been called into weigh station offices in 6 different states. I show them the documents, and tell them I am transporting the truck. They look at the paperwork and send me on my way. No one has even asked for my CDL or regular license. I have a detailed explanation ready if I ever get asked. There are no guarantees. I would obtain a CDL, but due to an eye injury at an early age, I am blind in my left eye. That makes a CDL a virtual impossibility for me.

Truck sellers generally will let you drive a truck with them riding along, if you know how to shift reasonably well. If you don't know how to shift, your first test drive will be driving off the lot after you buy it. You should be able to negotiate a 2 hour shifting lesson into the deal.

Larry
Old 03-25-2003, 06:10 AM   #33

Larry,

You mentioned you had a detailed explanation ready if you were asked, I was just wondering what you would say? I agree with what you said in your other post about there will always be people telling you something negative and if you believed them you would never leave the house, but as KZX11 memtioned you could possibly be arrested for illegal registration and driving without a CDL. I have a friend that was pulled over a few years ago with an international truck pulling a race car trailer. He did not go through a weigh station and was soon stopped. The officer came to the truck and asked for the registration, my friend said the truck is an RV. The officer didn't listen and asked again, and my friend said the truck is an RV again. The officer turned and walked to his car and left. This international truck did not have air brakes and I don't believe required a CDL but I could be wrong. The first trip I wanted to take is from West Palm to Orlando. I can't make up my mind on what to do. If I were to get pulled over and get just a fine I think I would be more willing to chance this trip. It is just the thought of being arrested that scares me. I was planning for so long to take this trip with this truck that now I really don't have any other way to get this trailer there. Another friend who is a county CDL trainer told me that at the weigh stations the DOT officers just wait with binoculars as trucks drive by and look at the numbers on the side of the trucks. I already have not for hire on it but I think I will also put private coach on it as well. Do you know if there is a difference in private coach and private rv? Also do you know what the tire tred limits are. The tred on my back tires are getting low and I am still researching doing a conversion on this truck or buying a truck that has already been converted.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 03-25-2003, 08:25 PM   #34

Robert,

Check out the Volvo I posted for sale at the top of this forum. As to your other questions, I tell all the guys who buy a Volvo from me what to say if they are asked for their CDL if/when stopped at a weight station.

If you send me an e-mail, I will give you some information that might be helpful. Hauling a race car trailer is different than hauling an RV though.

As I recall, a commercial vehicle must have at least 3/16th tread on all tires. Not certain my memory is correct though. That does not apply to RVs.

Larry
Old 03-26-2003, 01:47 AM   #35

Hi Larry,
You are absolutely right, and I don't know why it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. I was an OTR driver in my younger days and now that I think about it, I cannot recall ever being asked for my CDL at a weigh station. They were always more interested in my logbook and my paperwork. On the few occasions when I was bobtailing, they always waved me through without stopping so I probably could have just cruised by without stopping but I never wanted to take the chance. In addition, I was never stopped by the highway patrol in the entire time I drove (not that it couldn't happen). In fact, the only time I ever showed my CDL was when starting a new job and filling out the hire-on paperwork at a new company, so they could make a copy for the file and I could get my company driver's card.

Since I will be making the trip from wherever I buy the truck to my home only once, then moving it around only occasionally during its conversion, it's probably not a problem and I should be alright with my Hawaii DL if push comes to shove. I just have to make sure I get a truck with enough time on the registration to last until I complete the job. If so, can I just transfer the title into my name and keep the existing registration until it nears its renewal time or I am ready to re-title it as an RV? And can I get insurance without a CDL before I re-title as an RV and if so, how much will it cost?

If truck sellers will let you take a test drive with them along then shopping for a truck will be no problem. While I was an OTR I drove 10 sp, 13 sp, 16 sp (both airshift & 2 stick), & even a three stick Mack triplex, so shifting won't be a problem except that it's been a few years so I might be a little rusty, but it will come back quickly. Thanks again, Larry, for helping to put my mind at ease. Later.
Mike
Old 03-27-2003, 06:21 PM   #36

Mike,

When you buy a truck, they will sign the existing title over to you. Most states give you 30 days to apply for a new title. Late application penalties vary from State to State.

If you buy from a dealer, the truck will not be registered. If you buy a registered truck, the thirty day rule still applies.

You can get insurance without a CDL. Rates vary from around $600 to $1,200 per year depending on where you live, your driving record, value of truck, coverages, etc.

There should be a thread or two on truckconversion.net forums concerning insurance and registration. There are also some on the Escapees forum.

onezman
Old 03-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #37

Just talked to my friendly Michigan MV officer today and I explored the question with him. We used the race car example and he pointed out that even winning a trophy could be considered "for profit" if the stopping officer was having a particularly bad day. He also pointed out that a lot of places are cracking down on the car's fuel. 8 gallon limit in a jug before a placard is required. Not much fuel for a night of racing. I want to haul some of my company tools (machine shop) in the trailer while on the road and he said that I would likely be pinched if caught. Still contemplating the route that I'm going to take.
Bo
Old 03-28-2003, 10:23 PM   #38

More on the CDL subject.
If it were only a matter of getting a CDL and the medical, I would do it in a heart beat. The other things that come into play are:

Annual truck inspection
Carrier ID on the truck
commercial plates based on declared weight
logs if >100 miles from home
Duty hours (16 on duty, 10 driving)
Fuel permit (IFTA)
Apportioned taxes if crossing state lines

I'm don't know much about all of this yet, but the officer suggested that if there was anyway to get out of it, it would be a significant financial advantage.

The rabbit trail goes deeper and deeper...
Bo
Old 03-28-2003, 11:03 PM   #39

Boy, I'm on a roll tonight! Three in a row. Maybe that just means that I'm not thinking before I post.... Well anyway:

The MDOT officer also mentioned that "Not for Hire" on the side of the truck didn't mean anything to him (in regards to the law). Maybe in other states, but it wouldn't slow him from stopping the truck.
Bo
Old 03-28-2003, 11:15 PM   #40

Thanks Larry,
30 days is not a long time if I have to do the conversion in that time. However, what I am unsure about is whether I have to re-title it as a motorhome in 30 days or if I just transfer the same title into my name and re-register it as a motorhome when the existing registration runs out. The second option would be better since I might have a longer time, depending on when the registration runs out. But the first option, re-titling it as a motorhome would leave only 30 days to do the conversion and find a DMV that will actually do it. Later.
Mike