Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
ckn

Has anyone seen or does anyone have information on who is doing a 6x6 conversion to a Volvo VNL780 so that the steer axle is driving.

What parts would it take if doing this yourself?

ckn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #2

I saw a 6 x 6 (driving front wheels) on a Freightliner class 8 chassis at Showhauler last fall. It was bein built out for a guy who was really into hunting and wanted to be able to get into the "back country" with his rig. Personally, I'd have some revervations about "off roading" with a 36 foot motorhome, but to each his own!

I know of two places that have this sort of system. The links are:

http://www.allwheeldriveequip.com/

http://www.meritorhvs.com/

There may be more places, but I've not heard of them.

Hope this helps!

Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #3

If one is really dedicated to an AWD truck conversion, the better course is to find a manufacturer who does such as part of a special order new vehicle. Western Star does, and Freightliner can (same company); I think KW also can/will. While it is obvious to me that deep boondocking is not going to be viable in a vehicle this size, I have considered this as a response to the inadequate plowing in Washington and other states out here.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 AM   #4

I considered, briefly, the front wheel drive option. We will be pulling a horse trailer and some places we might go to do not have high quality access or parking. The cost is substantial ($15,000-$20,000 IIRC), it adds quite a bit of weight, and extracts an MPG cost. I was also told it increases front tire wear, even if not used too often. We are not now actively considering it.

I've seen some ads for Sterling (a Freightliner division) advertising this option. I also have a vague recollection of an M2 ad.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #5

No question that AWD is cool.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
No question that AWD is cool.
Just not practical in an RV that size
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
RMS

My truck has a Marmon Herrington Conversion.

The truck runs three double reduction axles and has a 46,000 gvw.

One disadvantage is that it can raise the truck about one foot in height.

The tires probably get more damage offroad that from the increased wear, if there is any.

My truck is in two wheel drive on the street.

Fuel milage will suffer because these truck are geared very low. My truck runs 6.11 in the axles.

Mu truck has a straight axle mounted under the springs with blocks so that the front driveshaft will clear the oil pan.

Locking hubs are available up to and including the 12,000 lb front axle class.

Any front axle over 15,500 lb will be double reduction and require the changing of the rear axle.

http://www.marmon-herrington.com/

Tulsa truck manufacturing has a lot of photos on their website and the also do a steped frame that midigates the increased height due to the front axle.

http://www.tulsatruckmfg.com/

Over the years I have driven many trucks both on the highway and offroad and unless you are going into some really soft stuff like sand or deep mud you probably do not need AWD. The best non AWD truck that I have driven offroad was a MACK DM600 rolloff. What made this truck good offroad was the fact that it had airlockers in all the differnetials and lugged tires. I was able to get this truck stuck in spots that would not have stopped an AWD truck. Fornately I was always able to get a Dozer to tow or push me out. So my advice is if you do not go with AWD and take the truck offroad add one or two winches, pto or hydraulic.

Another thing you have to think about is ground clearance and the rear overhang.

When we go offroad we go with a group of other trucks that are in the same weight class as us.

I hope this information helps.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #8

My truck has been through many conversions too.. With the Driveshaft, what i did was actually almost the same..

DanGrey is offline   Reply With Quote