Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Default UV Tire Covers ?

Anyone have any recommendations for tire covers (are they even worth it) ?
Ive got some "fancy" lung nut covers on the front - do i need to order larger for the front ?

i measure the height of the tires at about 40 inches (they are 275/80 22.5) im guessing the 40-42 inch covers for the rear, not sure on the fronts - because of the BLING crap.

Ive also seen some "paint on" UV block that that <apparently> doesnt wash off....wonder if anyone has any experience w/ it.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

Depends. If your truck is going to sit more than you drive it, as in you won't need tires replaced for many many years, and you are located somewhere that hot sun is an issue, then they are probably worth it. If you actually put miles on your rig and are going to wear the tires out in short order anyway, why bother? You usually only see those on rv's that spend more time sitting still than driving. My 2 cents worth anyway.

You could do the rough math, figure out how much a set of tires cost, then make some assumption as to how much longer the uv protection adds to the life of the tires. Let's say your rig gets few enough miles that the tires will literally dry rot before you wear them out. And then for arguments sake say a set of good tires costs $2000. So if your tires would have dry rotted in a decade, and the covers stretch that life to 12 years, then that's a 20% improvement on the $2000 tire life means the covers are worth $400. Minus the pain in the ass always taking them on and off, and then you are covering up all your nice bling you paid extra for.

I do have some second hand experience on tire covers. I bought a 9 year old gooseneck triaxle enclosed trailer that still had like new tread on the original tires. Northern climate, bought in pristine condition from an extremely "particular" (read: anal) previous owner that had tire covers on it (he claimed to have always used them and I believe him). All 6 tires showed some signs of dry rot cracking, and proceeded to blow out one at a time as soon as the weather warmed up and tire temps climb. After the third tire blew I went out and replaced all that were left as well as the spare. End of tire problems.

So in my limited experience they were a waste of the previous owners time. But the old rv guys swear by them. Or maybe they're just retired and bored and need more to do when they set up camp. lol.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

sorry but you havent helped much, as i appreciate your opinion.

in less than 3 months time i racked up 13k miles - more than MAN coaches have on them period, much less PER year....and we KNOW next year will be a big mileage year - we dont sit in campgrounds - like most pushers or travel trailers....and i think thats true for MOST conversions - although plenty have VERY low miles.

Im thinkin' if our truck sits for any amount of time - even if its a month in our driveway why not cover them & reduce the wear....these are 1/2 million mile tires - i DOUBT ill wear them out before they AGE out.

Im looking to reduce if not eliminate the effects of UV & dry rot - trying to EXTEND the life of the tires <for us> and increase the safety.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #4

spray them with 303 Aerospace Protectant and keep them rolling

303 Products - All About Tire Care

works on your dash, door seals, slide seals or anything made of vinyl or rubber.

don
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #5

thanks Don !
how long dies the 303 last ? Im assuming it has to be reapplied after each washing ? is that correct ?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

cut and paste,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,First Time Use: On sidewalls that are excessively dried out, two treatments may be necessary the first time. To note: A) The regular use of 303 can entirely prevent the UV and ozone damage associated with parked tires. Reapply 303 every 20-30 days. B) 303 is 100% safe for all types of wheels, all alloys. Wheels regularly treated with 303 repel water, road grime and brake dust and clean up far easier than untreated wheels.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

Default Does this really work?

Does anyone else have experience with this stuff?

Dick
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #8

try it for yourself, get your "free" sample for seven bucks!

303 Products, Inc.: 303 Products Free Samples