Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #1

does anyone know of a weight distributing bracket and bar set up for the 40000# hitches used on most conversions ?
I need to get about 3000# back on the front axel . t

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #2

.....I don't think you are going to be able to do 3k......better thing of something else.....weight transfer is a tricky thing to do without loosing traction braking or control.....I'd get a truck alignment shop to solve this one......IMHO....geofkaye

Old 02-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #3

Geof's right. (did I really say that?)
What kind of setup do you currently have? On the atypical conversion you will be hard pressed to move 3,000lbs to the front.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #4

I would not be opposed to ballast in addition to WD.

I just bought a 32' stacker and it tows perfect at any speed till something passes me !
It doesent have to be a semi , it could be a honda , its all the same I AM all over the road for a short (but very scary) time and then things go back to perfect !
I just came back from Indiana like this and it was no fun at all !

the trailer is about 14k empty> tri axel 24k gvw and I pulled it level and empty
I played with ride hts and hitch hts all the way home and level is best !

If I run it up to 80mph and pass cars and trucks I am stable but if I get passed >HANG ON
the unit scaled 9000# frt , 18000# rear , and 12000# TRAILER I would like to see 12500# frt
but empty its only 10500# frt
thanks t
Old 02-24-2006, 06:15 AM   #5

Hey Fastlap, What is the total weight of just the Hauler?? Total Height of Hauler?? Total Length of Hauler??
Is the Stacker higher then the Hauler?? How long is the tongue on the Stacker?? What is the tongue weight loaded & empty
of the Stacker?? What type of hitch is on the Hauler?? What kind of coupler on the Stacker?? What is the distance between
the back of the Hauler and the front of the Box on the Stacker?? Sorry for all the questions,I might have a decent answer.

Marc
Old 02-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #6

Marc I will try to answer
Hauler empty wt.> 275000# 17rear 10.5 frt
Hauler ht. 13'4"
trailer ht.13'4"
tongue lt. 48"
Hauler lt. 29'
Hauler hitch 40k# 2 5/16
trailer coupler atwood 25k# 2 5/16
hauler rear wheels to hitch ball 8'
I have not tried the trailer loaded yet , only empty !

on two lane roads it is perfect so cars and trucks going the opposite way do not effect it at all! and as long as I am the one doing the passing on 4 lanes its great ! Only when I get passed in the same direction as I am going is there a problem (big problem)
I have been a commercial truck, and race car driver, my whole life so I am not at all faint in the drivers seat ! This thing gets pretty darn bad when passed, yet I can take it up over 100mph and back with out even a wiggle (alone) !
Old 02-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #7

And another

Fastlap, Well I never doubted your driving experience since reading your posts and discussions you have been involved in
since I started here. My thoughts are now confirmed on what you do for a living. There are few things I forgot to ask.

Where is the center axle on the Stacker located in relation to the center of the total length of the Stacker including
the tongue??

Are they Torsion or Spring Axles??

When you get all the stuff that you need in the Stacker what will it weigh??

If you want you can send it to my email address: mcharley02@yahoo.com
Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #8

I think I would put some weight in it and see if it handles any better. 32' long, 13'4" tall, and only 14,000 lbs. Sounds like a pretty big sail to me. Oncoming traffic and when you are passing, wind load will be on the forward corners, and possibly deflected by the truck. When you are being passed you are getting hit on the rear corners of the trailer. It might just not have enough weight to keep it on the ground. I'll bet it handles bad in a strong side wind too.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #9

Fastlap,
Have you thought of a sway bar for the trailer?. I had the same problem as you when towing either of my 2 trailers empty with my Pick-up. But when I put the sway bar on it went away. I have never noticed anything while towing with the Show Hauler but it is a twin screw and considerably heavier.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #10

......does the stacker have a flat nose?......as compaired to a "V" nose?.......your weight should be 20% more when loaded on the front than the rear of the trailer....#2 I'd take it for a ride unloaded then loaded properly[tied down] before I'd change anything else....#1 But first I'd check spring shackles and U-bolts for tightness along with bearings and lug nuts.....My trailer is a "V" nose 37'[overall] with a 5 foot tounge....loaded improperly I have some small sway but when I shift the load-I have no sway at all...I don't use any anti-sway bars or $2400 hitches...and yes I can't keep my foot out of it....it is set for 102mph and I just had to make my dealer test it out!....then I tested it to make sure!.....geof