Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #1

Default Pics: Basement Fridge Freezer

Finally recv'd the Fridge Freezer for the Coach Basement (had been on back-order).

Its an EdgeStar 65 Quart dual power (110v AC / 12v DC) - automatically switches to AC when shore (or generator) power is available to the coach.

Had to run/wire the electrical supply (both 12v & 110v) to the bin, it's always nice to have another AC/DC power source (bin access-able).

A friend of mine (w/ better woodworking skills than I) helped me build the slide tray platform and i used STURDY locking 500lb slides (cooler is about 60lbs EMPTY).

I then carpeted the slide tray boards (to match) & bolted the slide to the bin & the cooler to the slide "deck" - no chance of it coming loose...these slides LOCK open & closed.

The unit has a thermostat on it that can be set to -5 degree (f)....can you say ICE CREAM or frozen meat/game.

The cooler takes less than 20 minutes to lower the temp of the unit from 75 to 35, once the cooler is COOLED it draws about 11 watts (ac).

The unit measures 20 11/16" H x 28 1/8" W x 17 7/8" D and my bins are 24 deep - I would have LOVED to have been able to mount the cooler sideways but I couldnt find a reasonable sized unit to do so.

I could have gone w/ an 80 quart unit (2 inches taller) but felt that was getting "excessive" (as if anything about the coach isnt).

Even at this size there is still plenty of room for additional coolers or other storage items if needed.

Maybe now we wont have to buy so much ice....

Sorry the pictures arent better (but it was getting late/dark), Ill update the thread w/ some more photos once i get a chance.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

Default Wow!

Bushpilot:

Outstanding job! And neat, too.

Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #3

Thank You !
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #4

Very nice. First class! Good job.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Gonna be tricky to get to while goin' down the road though... a strong rope and someone good on rollerblades should do the trick, though.

Seriously though, looks good! I wasn't real keen on then initially, but realized they're great to not have to go in and out of the coach a thouand times especially while grilling or something. (like relaxing outside with a few ones)
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

funny...maybe a trap door in the floor / kitchen cabinet should my next mod

we tried it out this weekend at the texas mile....had a good 75 beverages (cans and bottles) in the basement fridge it STILL wasnt completely full....kept 'em cold (set the thermostat where ever you like)....perfect for sitting outside, as you say, and not having to go INSIDE <a lot>.

We'll use it <mostly> for beverages, and food overflow (on long trips).

Other than a small cooler (and ice for our "on the rocks" drinks) we needed very very little ice....we didnt even use 10 lbs the entire weekend.