Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #1

I'm trying to find ways to locate nice campgrounds. I found www.campgroundreviews.com . Seems like it might be okay. Kind of funny reading some of the reviews tho because often somebody will write what a great park it is and then next review will bash it. Just wondering if there are any other sites similar where I can click to an area or state and there will be a listing of campgrounds to look at. I'm not that fond of the state parks because you've got to make your reservation way in advance, or just show up and hope they've got a site you can fit in. And, most of those campers drive Prius' and sleep in a little nylon dome thing and cook over a little can of gas with a grate on top. Hahahahaah, no they're very nice, but most just walk by my truck and grunt or look the other way. I can feel when I'm not wanted. I'm a KOA member and often stay at those but thought I'd check out some other campgrounds too.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #2

Hay Bob I use this Site http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html See what ya think

Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #3

That's a good site. Lots of campgrounds listed. No reviews tho. I suppose that could be good or bad since the reviews on that other site are pretty vastly different depending on the reviewer. I'll bookmark that one.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

Bob, its not an online site but i did purchase, online (BIG RIGS BEST BETS) its a really helpful book with good info on campgrounds that can handle our rigs, even recommends specific sites, Gene
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Here is the Link

http://www.big-rigs-rv.com/
Old 05-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

Bob,
There are several sites and goodsam's club even has a campground directory... huge, rating system, prices etc.
Check out RV.Net
Or IRV2.com
Or FMCA.net
BUonM22? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #7

Bob,

I have found most county parks (camp gounds) to be nice and well groomed along with reasonable rates.

Ed
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #8

Hi Bob,

We use Big Rig Best Bets as well because they have a rating for 45' motor coaches. I also joined Woodalls Diamond Club (Free) because they have a big rig search category. Always, no matter, I use Google Earth to checkout entry and exit as well as the park insides.

BTW, RV Park Reviews is pretty good and some people do list if they are a big rig and have problems. I generally do not look at comments about bathrooms, amenities or neighbors

The biggest problem I have found for us is that at 13' 4" most parks do not think of height. The other problem is turning radius. A big rig to them is a 40' Class A.

With all the "big rigs" out there, many parks have added the classification to not lose out on the business, but they are actually not big rig friendly. For example, we had to be in northern Washington and only had one option. The KOA in Linden. There listing everywhere said big rig friendly and I even called them to describe our rig. Oh Yeah, no problem! It was a huge problem and we had to spend our few days there for business in the field at the back.

Believe it or not, KOA's are pretty good, but have gotten very expensive...especially for "super-sites." Very kid friendly.

West is better than east for finding monster rig friendly places. North of New York, there is a sign that flashes, "Don't Even Think About Camping North of Here!"

So, I do really recommend Best Bets for Big Rigs and Google Earth to be sure.

Sorry to say it, but when we see a campground promoting quiet country environment with shade trees, we go to Flying J

Bob
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #9

Thanks Bob for that info on Big Rigs Best Bets. I found their web site here: http://www.big-rigs-rv.com/index.html

Looks like a pretty good resource. $25 isn't bad either. I think I'll wait until I retire in a year and buy one since I'm not going to be able to do enough camping nationwide until then.