Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: sierra foothills
Posts: 1
Default vin change for Ca. motorhome

I am trying to have my 2 axle columbia classified as a motorhome in Ca. with little luck. The CHP vin verifier agrees my truck fits the description even down to the 1,200. cost of installing a 22k lb rv 5th wheel in place of my holland air slide 5th wheel and was told in a DMV memo to ignore the law and deny my request. It seems the DMV can enforce their will instead of following the law. Any suggestions would be helpful. The CHP suggested that I become a politician instead of a retiree and ask my local representative to write legislation to change this unwritten rule. WTF, Can you say banana republic ?

bssifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
solo318's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 127

Hire a lawyer.

solo318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 23

You are probably running into Truck Tractor (CVC 655):

A motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and not
so constructed as to carry a load other than a part of the vehicle weight and load
so drawn.

As used in this section, "load" does not include items carried on the truck tractor
in conjunction with the vehicle operation if the load carrying space for these items
does not exceed 34 square feet.

Note: Truck tractors must always be registered as commercial vehicles, even if
they have living quarters.

The living quarters are secondary or incidental to the primary function of the
vehicle, which is still drawing other vehicles.
Truck tractors with living quarters cannot be registered as housecars.

I think they added that last bit around 2007.
Doug Ambrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
solo318's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 127

Florida's law is similar. In that having a fifth wheel hitch of any kind means you are supporting the weight of another vehicle. That makes it a truck tractor. No 5th wheel makes it a "heavy truck" which is legal to convert.
solo318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
Junior Member
Rick15's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Loomis
Posts: 3
Default Ca dmv

When I registered my TC in CA it took 3 personal trips to get them to understand what I was registering, a 2016 ShowHauler conversion. It took 4 trips to get my CDL medical cert in the CA DMV system. To top that off, it took another two trips to get the diesel pusher I traded-in out of my name.
Rick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,819

I wonder if "vin change" might be screwing things up a bit? I doubt you would want to actually change the vin. That's like trying to change somebody's birthday. Have you read through the resource guide here?: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

'03 Freightliner FL112, 295" wheel base, with '03 United Specialties 26' living quarters, single screw, Cat C12 430 h/p 1650 torque, Eaton 10speed , 3.42 rear axle ratio
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.