Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Default New guy...

Well, kinda. You might recognize my name from the other HDT sites, but I mostly lurk as we're not currently owners.

I started looking at RV's as part of my off-road hobby, and a few of my buddies started camping in Class A's. Well, the wife is in agreement about a RV, but HATES the "Fred & Ethel on the way to the Grand Canyon" look of a Class A pusher.. One day while driving, we saw our first Class 8 T/C, and she was sold.

We're not in the financial place to buy one for a few more years, but I'm looking now, learning what I like and don't about the different ones out there, and I think when we're ready to make the plunge, we'll be able to get the right coach for us, the first time.

Anyway, that's me..

-Rich

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #2

Great to have more t/c people! We bought a class A Allegro gasser in '04. My boys were 15 and 13 and I wanted to take a cross country trip with them before it was too late. Big trip we covered 4500 miles in 3 weeks that summer. Several lesser trips. Had been admiring t/c's since seeing my first one at the race track in about '99. Always thought they were the coolest things but never figured I'd be able to buy one. Over the years of owning our Allegro I decided the only coach to get from that would be a t/c. My older boy and I bought a enclosed car trailer in '08 so we could both bring our Vettes to the track and get the r/v there too. We figured out that gasser was going to fall apart fast pulling the trailer. Then the economy went down the toilet just at the right time. I started shopping t/c's spring of '09 and stole mine from an awesome dealer, Wright-Way Trailer Sales, Hiawatha, Iowa. Doug our salesperson took great care of us and I still feel bad about how low he let me have it for. Before the economy tanked I had figured I wouldn't be able to get a t/c until closer to my retirement when I could justify the purchase with more use. Took me 6 months to sell my Allegro and I let it go much cheaper than if the economy was good. But I knew that would happen and still came out ahead on everything.

I think it's great that you are planning on a t/c. They clearly are a very great platform to build an r/v on. Just don't go touting that on one of those other camper sites. They tried to kill me for that awhile back. I sure hope you're able to get one sooner than later. If you're ever in MN look me up and you're welcome to drive mine (if the roads are clear, we just got 23" of snow yesterday so mine is tucked in my shop waiting for spring).

Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

Rich, You are doing the right thing investing time now to decide what you want.
I made a fast decision a few years ago on a new class A, first coach and well I could have and should have done more homework.
For me at this time in my life the t/c is the way to go. I love driving it over the class A, I do feel so much safer, it is much more solid and has many advantages...there maybe one or two disadvantages over a class A but not sure I would ever go back. You are at a good place to ask questions...
Good luck,
Ed
Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #4

Ed - You might be able to tell me.. While going down the road.. How is the noise in the back near the drive axles, compared to a DP class A? I haven't gotten a chance to drive a nice DP yet to compare (Something like an American Eagle), but I'd imagine they all run similar axles, so that gear whine noise would have to be nearly the same?

Obviously a TC is much louder up front than a DP, but we still didn't find the noise level objectionable, especially in the condo-sleeper Volvo we drove. Plus, I've ALWAYS loved big rigs. My Mom worked in the office of a trucking company (Carretta Trucking if anyone remembers them) when I was a kid, and I'd always go out and wander around the yard.. Plus, with a DP, I'd have to pipe in some turbo noise to make me happy.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

You know, as being the driver I have never been in the back while going down the road in either the class a or my Renegade. My wife has been in the back while moving and thought the ride was good and I would think the over all noise level the the back is less than the dp. (no engine noise) I have a camera system in my back garage with sound and I do not hear any back ground noise. I travel with some things loose in the garage and bedroom...they never fall over. Type of tires on the rear sure could make a big difference in the noise factor.
The noise level in the cab on my rig is very acceptable to me. Wife and I can carry on a conversation without a problem. I have springs on the front (no air ride) and air bags on the back. I am happy with the front end and do not miss the air ride of the dp.
I am just trilled with my rig.
Hope this helps in some way
Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #6

I can comment on riding in the back. I've let a few others drive while I lounged in bed. Very quiet mine is (that's my Yoda immitation). I've only got a single axle tho. The air ride is great back there too. It doesn't sway around anything like my Allegro A did. My wife used to have to take Dramamine in that rig to keep from getting woozy. She doesn't take anything in the t/c and hasn't ever gotten woozy (except when she's taken too much beir). I don't hear any gear/axle noise at all in my bedroom. I did test drive a t/c before buying my truck and it had tandems. My mechanic buddy rode along and he went in back and came up and told me it was very loud gear/axle noise. He doesn't work on trucks so he didn't know if that was a normal noise or this truck was having issues. Mine has steel leaf springs on the front axle.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #7

when I was traveling in entertainer coaches (buses), the worst place to be was in the back room. the engine was deafening. I sleep in the back of the truck all the time. What are crews for
Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #8

hello everyone~~I am new here .This is my first post.
ann0194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann0194 View Post
hello everyone~~I am new here .This is my first post.
What, no links to shoes for sale? Where are you? What kind of camper do you have? Do you hear me? Or are you a computer somewhere in the Indian Ocean?