Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Hi From NM

Well, first post and a chance to introduce myself. My name is Terry and I am currently in-process of getting a truck conversion. Current MH is a 2008 Gulfstream Supernova, the 34 ft version (25 ft living qtrs) based on a class 6 IH 4200 chassis. Nice MH, but want bigger and more power. Here is my Supernova:

Don't have a bigger class 8 based MH yet, getting serious about a 2005 KW Showhauler. About 10 ft more inside room than the Supernova, and 475 Cummins ISX engine. The Supernova is kind of weak when towing one of my old cars on open trailer behind it. I have made it over large passes and mountains of CO and NM, but down to 35 mph at the top and also no engine braking once on the down side. It will be nice to have a real truck.

I am an engineer for a job, still working for now, but plan to retire in approx 1 year. Part of my retirement plans is the bigger MH and spend time seeing the country, but not as full timer. Live in the mountains east of Albuquerque, on 2.5 acres with my wife and 4 dogs.

So some of my old cars and other vehicles.
My way overkill F-650 pickup, mostly just drive it around or pull the car trailer, which is way under it's capacity. 5.9 Cummins and Allison auto:

My 37 Chevy Ute (Utility Coupe from Australia), this one is all original. I imported it from Australia:

My current project, 52 GMC with Jaguar front and rear suspension, 350 Chevy V8 and 700R4 auto. Plan to set this one up for flat towing behind the MH. Got a great deal on used Remco driveshaft disconnect, just have to get it mounted in and finish the truck up.

Limits me to 4 images in the post, so description of my others:
49 Ford COE, very modified hot rod truck. On a newer 1-ton chassis with airbags and chopped top.
37 Ford Ute, basic hot roddded 302 Ford V8, C4 auto, 9-inch rear, dropped axle.
38 Chevy 2 dr sedan, my namesake with a 454 engine.
55 Studebaker coupe, my landspeed racing car project; although it looks more like a junkyard refugee than a racecar at this time.

Well, enough rambling on. Glad to be here and hope to have pictures of my own truck conversion MH to share soon. Terry

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Yay, another T/C member! Welcome to the forums. I like those Super C's, but the Truck Conversion you're going to really love more. Looks like some super cool cars/trucks you've got there too. Keep posting here. Keep us posted on your Showhauler when you get it.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome Bob.

Decided might as well post pics of the rest of my cars mentioned.
49 Ford COE, this is the one most people know me by and it has pictures all over the world on hot rod type message boards:

37 Ford Ute, also from Australia, although I bought this one already imported. this one is currently disassembled to repair bad prior body work and being repainted in silver color:

My namesake, 38 Chevy

Finally my junkyard refugee 55 Studebaker land speed racecar project. All I have done so far is remove the engine and trans, and interior so it is a rolling shell. No build-up into racecar yet

You can kind of see the back end of my 63 Dodge Town Wagon behind the Supernova in that pic. Another future project.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

WELCOME !

You're in good company (cant wait til John joins in here, he had a f650 too) among other tow toys !

Hey we're gonna be "on the field" at the ABQ BalloonFiesta this coming October - just as observers (unless my buddy from Virginia shows up w/ some of his balloons).
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Hi Don, Balloon Fiesta is a big deal here in ABQ, but to be honest I avoid it. Too crowded and too much money. Plus I am still working so that limits the time to go.

My F-650 is a fun truck, be nice to touch base with John about his.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

I can certainly understand why you would avoid it - its a bucket list item for my wife & as much as i hate crowds...the coach makes crowded events almost ok (i can have a beverage & watch everyone else deal w/ traffic/parking etc).

im not big on vacations really - i work from home, and most of my work is via computer & phone.

I'm on a company imposed travel restricted budget....so I'm happy to be home & not having to travel (for the last 7 yrs I've been gone at least every other week)....my point is....we'll leave for ABQ on a wednesday or thursday and then take a day off and drive back on monday or tuesday of the following week.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

Your in! We all just voted!
THUNDERUSONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #8

I'm slobbering all over the 49 COE! That thing is sick! What's it got for power and tranny and rear end?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERUSONE View Post
I'm slobbering all over the 49 COE!
OOOOhhhhh....... That doesn't sound good for the truck at all..... That COE would be a fun truck! Think of how many heads would turn when you arrive at a campground pulling a fiver with that!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
OOOOhhhhh....... That doesn't sound good for the truck at all..... That COE would be a fun truck! Think of how many heads would turn when you arrive at a campground pulling a fiver with that!
That think needs a class 8 big Cat in it with 4 turbos getting after it on the flats with enough gear and tranny to let er eat!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERUSONE View Post
That think needs a class 8 big Cat in it with 4 turbos getting after it on the flats with enough gear and tranny to let er eat!
I would want a 500+hp CUMMINS and an auto shift with a Jake and straight pipes!! That would really sound good! Ah, it's nice to dream!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #12

Thanks for the compliments on the COE. Cab and front sheetmetal is stock, except for a 4 inch chop. Chassis is a 74 GM 1-ton reg cab longbed pickup which is the shortest dually frame. 350 Chevy and Turbo 400, GM 14-bolt rear. Engine is just a good running very mild performance. Flatbed is fabricated by me, 10 ft length and 74 inches width, it is diamond plate steel so I haul junk on it all the time. The rear fenders are actually 46-47 Ford big truck front fenders cut and modified to work. Airbags on front, rear is flipped on top of the stock leafs; someday would like to airbag the rear also. Has P/S, P/B, A/C, I drive it all over, it drove to Bonneville for Speedweek 6 years straight 2007-2012. Last couple years i have taken the 37 Chevy Ute on a trailer.

The COE can pull a trailer, but it is kind of weak vs my other trucks. Long term it would be nice to put a 4BT Cummins in it. However, for now it runs and drives nice, I can cruise at 75 no problem, just takes gas at 10-11 mpg. Not exactly the most aerodymanic thing! I hauled 24 railroad ties on one load with it last summer for a house project, that was a decent load for sure.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

That would be a good truck to put a 5.9 in it! Find a good 12 valve out of a Dodge truck, build the 47RE and you are good to go!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
That would be a good truck to put a 5.9 in it! Find a good 12 valve out of a Dodge truck, build the 47RE and you are good to go!
A 6BT would be nice, but I have a length issue, the engine is under/inside the cab; I have an engine cover kind of like a van has but a little smaller and custom fit to the engine. So the 4BT would be better for fit and the 4BT is capable of some nice power. The 3.9 liter 4BT is essentially a 6BT with two middle cylinders removed, uses the same front drive and rear bellhousing patterns, and is closer to the length of the V8 I have in there now.

I do agree that i need a new OD trans with any diesel swap, my Turbo 400 works great, but too high of rpm at highway speeds for a diesel. With 3.73 rear gears, I am turning about 3000 rpm at 75 now. I could do a gear vendors type add-on OD to the T400. However I think easier to use a trans with OD already built into it. Like the 47RE for Dodge, Allison, or a 4L80E if staying GM. My F-650 has a 5.9 Cummins with an Allison, so that basic same combo could work using the 3.9 4BT instead. Many of the 4BT in the step-van chassis use a T400 trans behind the 4BT, so bolting a 4L80E is straightforward.

Here is a picture showing the engine buried under the cab, taken during construction, but shows the general location:
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

I guess I didn't realize there was no room for a 5.9. A 4BT would be a good option then. I wonder how a six speed Allison would be behind a 4BT? I have a feeling it would help out a good bit plus it would be a double overdrive.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #16

I don't know what happened to my post between Tom's, but the answer was that i have limited room and length with engine under the cab, so the 3.9 liter 4BT (essentially a 6BT with 2 middle cylinders removed) would be a better fit. Then use an OD trans behind that, either the T400 in the truck with a gear vendors type add-on OD, or a 47RE, or Allison. My F-650 has 5.9 Cummins with Allison, so a similar set-up with the 4BT. Here is the pic that was supposed to be attached showing the engine location and why space is tight. Under construction pic, but it shows how tight the engine cover is over engine and why length of the V8 is needed: