Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Default Hello, future converter checking in

I am about to purchase a 1997 Freightliner Classic XL with a 265" wheelbase which I plan to use for my own recreational enjoyment. I have driven an air-braked equipped vehicle before and will be obtaining my certificate prior to purchasing.

This looks like a great forum and I can't wait to dig deeper into this new world.

Rob

Rob'Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #2

Nice looking truck, Rob. Are you planning on building living quarters on it? Or pulling a 5th wheel camper? What engine? Trans? If you build a box for living quarters you going to keep the sleeper and modify that for passengers? So much to do, so little time.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

Thanks Bob. It's got a 12.7 Series 60 Detroit Diesel mated to an Eaton/Fuller Super 10. If I get it I plan to slowly evolve it into a short HDT with a bed/bath/kitchen. I will keep the sleeper and add a 16' box for quarters. It will be used to tow my cars to the track in a 24ft tag and my boat/SeaDoos to the lakes. First I need to sell my '00 F-250 diesel with 6-MT and convince my wife that this is a good plan.

Rob
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #4

Sounds like a good plan Rob. However, convincing the DW should be the number one priority! If the wife ain't happy,nobody's happy! MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Welcome!

There was talk on another forum about using a HDT for launching boats, and the general consensus from experience was that HDT's don't work so well for that... not enough weight over the driven wheels. Though once you have it RV-converted, that should help. One guy who had success using his HDT for this had a trailer made with an extend-able neck just for launching, to keep the HDT tires out of the slick stuff.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #6

Well (at least for the short term) this isn't happening. My wife is not a fan of the idea, she says maybe when we're older she'll need an RV but now she's happy with the raised shell on the back of my longed diesel. Also this particular truck is off the market, the seller's replacement rig broke down so he's re-enlisting the service of the old truck.

Oh well, time to turn my energy towards one of my other projects. I'll stick around though, this place looks like a wonderful community.

Rob
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #7

Oh no, Rob, that's not good news. Keep looking tho. I'm sure another will come along. They really are the cats meow for towing.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #8

Hey Rob,

If you ever decide to get back into the search a highly recommend the Series 60 engine. It has been very reliable for high volume cross country truckers for decades. Parts are readily available at very reasonable prices. Let me know if you are ever in need of any.

DieselRebuild is offline   Reply With Quote