Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Default Geoff in Australia here

I've been following some of the fantastic builds here which I'm learning a great deal from and thought I would introduce myself.
As a craftsman who spends a lot of time on the road along the Eastcoast of Oz I have built a couple of smaller box truck conversions over the years to satisfy my needs while away.
A bigger project I'm wanting to do soon, is old K125 cabover Kenworth from 1976.
I've been restoring her since 2010 and use her hauling local granite I use for my work. + my occasional yacht move.
A future stage of development I plan to use her for will be pulling a double drop furniture pan conversion I'm currently looking out for. The pan I want to convert would be 40ft long bogie, divided in half 20ft living, 20ft smaller truck and palleted stone (5 pallets) storage.
What I would like to do is change the KW over to single drive on Pete low leaf or air leaf suspension, freeing up chassis space for a 6ft drom/living box behind the cab.
Being into old school trucks is great advertising for my business and I do get a lot of work off her and my other smaller converted ones.
Thanks for listening, any thoughts

here are a some pics. K125CR. VT903 Cummins 400hp. RTO915. 44000lb
rockwells on TBB.

Here's the other smaller truck conversions I use. Both built up from C/Chassis
Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
littlpod2. general rear view.JPG   night time bling.jpg   new LEDs 2.JPG  

VT903 K125 Kenworth, 6V53 LN8000 Louisville, 4 Ford traders
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...... Denis Diderot 1752
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Welcome to Truckconversion.net! That's a cool old Kenworth there. What about keeping the tandems on it and stretching the frame. Then put a larger than 6' living quarters on and pull your trailer? I'm thinking 6' doesn't give you much space.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

Welcome from another newbie. Nice old cabover KW you have there. I agree with Bob's suggestion, a stretch to get the extra living quarters space and keep the twin screw rear. You get the extra braking of the dual rears, and longer wheelbase would ride better as well.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome guys, yes the ol Kenworth is a classic.
Bare with me on my reasoning here,
not really wanting to stretch the frame as I need manouverability (spelling) for hauling my boat around marina slipways, also getting around stone yards and quarries I frequent. The trailer used, being a 30ft single axle old style lowboy.
I was thinking of building something slightly bigger and similar to the 60in sleeper I built on my little gooseneck truck. Its interior has toilet, storage compartment, fold down bed, kitchenette, couch and table. Half the trailer would have the living quarters onboard anyway with the rear half carrying my smaller gooseneck truck shown above.
In Australia, going single drive would lower my annual truck registration by a quarter as this is still a working truck.
Thanks guys
Geoff

In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...... Denis Diderot 1752
Old 04-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

I thought I might post a drawing of what I'm planning to do with the K100.
Attached Thumbnails
K100 single drive and drop deck furniture pan.jpg  

Old 04-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #6

nice trucks !

Welcome !

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote