Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #1

The link is to the latest story on the guy who was climbing alone and got his arm stuck in a rock and cut it off with his leatherman tool. Ouch.

Here is a quote from the story:

then became the first person to solo climb all 59 of Colorado's fourteeners (14,000-foot peaks) in winter, crossing the last 14 off his list after the accident.

Let's see here. He's climbing alone, gets his arm stuck and cuts it off. So he survives, recovers and now he continues to climb 14 more 14,000 foot summits alone during the winter.

I think the guy really should start thinking about climbing with a few friends. He would still have his arm if he had been with friends when the first accident occurred.

I think there is a valuable lesson here. If you're going to do something that has the potential for danger, it's probablly safer to bring a couple of friends with you so they can assist if things go bad.

But being alone can be interesting because you have nobody to depend on but are really screwed if things go bad.

Oh well, to each his own.

Here's the story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/4239492?GT1=6773

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #2

Judging by the above, one might deduce that rank stupidity can materialize in a multitude of forms. This idiot's mountain climbing achievements are in no way augmented by the fact that they were achieved alone. Maybe he learned from this, but I doubt it.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:41 PM   #3

....I have found from having more than 10k patients that in NO Way can I fix stupid!.....GOD only knows I have tried-and failed......geofkaye
Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #4

Ignorance can be rectified thru education.
But you ARE right; there ain't no fixin' STUPID!
(Wonder what would've happened if his HEAD had gotten wedged somewhe-oops we know that already)
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote