Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #1

Looking for a semi class 8 with a sleeper to haul my 5th wheel toybox. I am hopefully looking for a truck that has been converted with the air ride hitch and a bed on the back, but of course, I am open to anything you may have.

Jeff bp_56@yahoo.com

Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #2

Check the "Truck Paper"; it might have what you are looking for, or just find whatever ex-roadburner tractor suits your fancy, and convert to suit. What you want to do to a truck isn't that hard to do, and there are literally HUNDREDS of trucks that will do what you want to do, and at agreeable prices.
Good hunting!

Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #3

Thanks Gary. Are most people buying a single axle tractor, or are they getting the two axle and taking one off?

Jeff
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #4

You COULD use a single-axle tractor, but will probably have to stretch the frame a lot, which you probably would with a tandem axle setup, too. But a tandem truck would be better, mainly because there are TONS more of them, and they give you a choice of two wheelbases, depending on which axle position you choose to use, because most air suspensions are two separate setups, one per axle. You just remove the one suspension set you DON'T want, and use the rearmost(NON-power divider) axle in either case. With a tandem, you have a choice!
Though, on re-reading your post, being that you will be towing a fifth-wheel unit, you likely will NOT have to do any frame stretching in either a single- axle truck or tandem.
Does this help you?
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
gil

hi guys -

we are looking at doing a conversion, but have always been looking at a non-sleeper model.

it seems like when you "convert" the sleeper section you end up with 2 sofa/sleeper units that face each other w/o too much useable space there - kind of just like a "pass-through area" or tunnel going to the cab.

plus, it also takes away square footage from the main body of the conversion. we have been looking at a 30' conversion on a day cab and a sleeper would add another ?' to the 40'/41' overall length

do any of you have an idea of how to use the space differently?

thanks!

gil
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #6

Gil,
We kept the sleeper on my last conversion. We put in 2 opposing sofas that would fold out to make a queen size bed. With an entertainment center in that section that is seperate from the other setup, we use that for my daughter's bedroom. She has a privacy curtain that she can pull across and the "living room " is where we entertain or when we retire for the evening that becomes my son's bedroom. When traveling down the road the kids can sit in the sleeper area and we can converse with each other and they can enjoy the trip better. With the old setup everyone always fought over the co-pilot's seat. We went with the 30' box and the overall length is about 46 ft. I put doors (3) on the front of the sofa base on each side for storage and then added cabinets up above the sofas with lighting and I installed an auxillery a/c heater under the passenger side sofa, which occupies about half the space under that side. On the drivers side I have access from outside the cab thru the access door under the sleeper. Lots of useful space.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 AM   #7

We left the sleeper on our conversion for the same reason wick did in the above letter. Instead of the two couches though, we are going to put 2 reclining chairs in this area. The sleeper also gives you the extra head room so you don't have to crawl on your knees to get into the conversion from the cab.
MHensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #8

Even though this thread has been hi-jacked, , I am still looking for a HDT to pull my fifth wheel.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
gil

hey jeff -

and what a nice thread you started!

thanks,

gil
Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
gil

responses -

and by the way - thanks to the couple of members that gave me their input!

thanks!

gil
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #11

how about a 2002 volvo 770, still a tandem. commercial hitch replaced with a 32klp TS articulating hitch, power windows, locks, mirrors also heated. volvo motor, wood bed on rear, work lights, all fairings, no damage, no problems, no leaks, 708xxx miles. i need $49,500 for her. missionarymike at hotmail dot com oh yeah, she an autoshift
missionarymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #12

Send some pics to bp_56 AT yahoo DOT com.

Thanks for the reply !!

Jeff
Old 07-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #13

Hi, I don't know if this is too late or not, but we have a very nice 2000 Volvo 660. All set up and ready to go...you can read about it on the For Sale part of this forum...You can find it under Terry. Right below the specs, you will find the pictures...We couldn't get them on the regular ad, so put the pictures first...You won't be disappointed when you see it...Let us know...email: tberlin@csonline.net or call and leave a message at 814-657-1912, Thank you....

terry is offline   Reply With Quote