Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-21-2004, 04:37 PM   #1

I am having the Fuller Super 10 installed tomorrow.

During button shifts, do you just let up on the throttle when hitting the button?

Also is it just a button or are you flipping a switch, such as I do on my 10 speed now.

My 10 speed has seen it's better days. It is fantastic when cool, but warm it up and it becomes a real sun of a gun to shift. From what I am told the super 10 shifts easier and smoother that the standard 10 speed. Gonna love the 3 gear shifts from start to top speed.

Bill

Old 04-23-2004, 04:04 PM   #2

If you go the Eaton/Fuller Roadranger home page, you can follow the links and eventually get to a place at which you will be able to download driver's guides in PDF format.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #3

Warpath,

A Super 10 has 5 lever shifts and 5 button shifts. Actually the button is a little switch on the drivers side of the lever. Move it forward to upshift, and backward to downshift.

The switch is always done just PRIOR to lifting and allowing the shift to happen automatically. No cutch is needed for any lever shift, or any button shift.

When upshifting, depending on the engine you have, allow the RPM to drop 3 to 500 RPM till you feel it catch the next gear, then resume accelleration.

You must wait for the RPM to drop far enough to catch, or the transmission will be in neutral and the engine will rev with no power transferred.

Downshifting is just the reverse. Click the button backward, lift allowing torque to break, then gently increase RPM the same amount as it drops on downshifts. Then resume. Downshifting with the lever, follow the same proceedure. The button is moved on each lever shift up or down to get in the correct positon for the next button shift, unless you are skipping a gear.

If your engine drops 300 RPM between shifts, you can skip a gear by increasing or decreasing RPM by double the amount of a single shift.

I think youll like your super 10 once you get the feel of it. It's not a confusing as I made it sound.

onezman
Old 04-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #4

Thank guys!

I have been on the eaton site, but didn't think to pull up the drivers guide on that tranny.

I'll report back on the difference from old 10 speed to the new super 10.

Bill
Old 04-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #5

Dropped the rig off on Thursday night, checked in today and it should be done late tomorrow. Probably pick it up tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Also had them get rid of the speed limitor (finally!) tighten up the steering, check oil pressure, and repair a low oil sensor.

Looking forward to runs to San Antonio, Chicago, Ft. Meyers and a bunch of shorter trips.

Bill
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #6

Picked the truck up tonight and got in a 45 minute drive.

The Super 10: I like it even though it does mean some relearning time. Up shifting is no problem and I caught on pretty quickly, although I had to adjust my timing with the flip of the switch when I made lever shifts. The thing that caught me out was rolling turns at say 15 mph. I normally would take these in 6th, but it seems the Super 10 wants 5th, so I screwed up a turn or 2. There is a little more gear noise with this trannie probably because it is new, but far less vibration. Definitely floats shifts 1,000% easier and smoother. I can't wait to get some seat time with it.

It was great to have the speed limiter lifted and ran it up to 75. Felt great, no vibration.

Need to do some spit shinning and will be ready to roll again.

Bill
Old 05-01-2004, 06:28 PM   #7

Larry got a question for you.

On the sticker for the gear pattern for my Super 10, it say's automatic range changes between 6th & 7th. What does this mean?

Bill
Old 05-02-2004, 11:57 AM   #8

Warpath,

I don't understand that either. I have converted 9 Volvos with Super 10s. I currently own two Super 10s and one straight 10. Two of them are conversions in progress.

We know that on a straight 10, a range change takes place by flipping the lever up when shifting from 5th to 6th, or visa-versa.

My Super 10 stickers say there is an automatic range change between 6th and 7th too. I can't discern any automatic range change. I guess all that matters is that they work great.

onezman
Old 05-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #9

Drivers Handbook Here

Jim
Old 05-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #10

Jim -

I actually read that guide a few times prior to getting the transmission, but the explanation of the automatic range is pretty vague.

I got a chance to run the truck around yesterday and with a little more seat time, I really love this transmission! With the trannie swap we also had a new clutch put in and it is awesome as well, low force, and no chatter when taking off.

If your running a 1/2 a million mile plus rig with original trannie I highly recommend a re-manufactured trannie upgrade along with a updated clutch and your ride is going to be like new! This is a relatively inexpensive upgrade, that makes a huge difference. Also had the kingpins and tie rods replaced which also made a big difference in the steering.

Can't wait to put some miles on it now.

Bill
Old 05-02-2004, 09:52 PM   #11

Warpath.

Transmissions come from the factory with 5 years/750,000 mile warranties if synthetic lube

is installed, and it's changed every 1/4 million miles.

This warranty applies to all HD OTR transmissions. Generally if transmission fliods are

changed as requiired, not run low on fluid, and not badly abused, they last beyond a million miles, sometimes way beyond that.

When considering the purchase of any used class 8, if there is any vibration anywhere, it's
best to continue searching. If there is doubt as to the conditon of engine, transmission or

differentials, the buyer can have the truck dynoed. A dyno generally reveals any engine or
driveline problems. To go a step fruther, one can have oil analysis done on engine, trans
and diff fluids.

The fluids can also be changed in advance of purchase. If any metal particles are in the

bottom of, in this case, the tranny, metal will come out, be visible in the oil watching it

drain with a flashlight shinning on the oil as it's draining. Metal will also be attached to

the magnetic drain plug. Anyway, it's good that you are pleased with the outcome. Sounds
like shes in ship shape now.

onezman