Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Where to start (new to this forum) (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/where-start-new-forum-7103/)

Maverickx50 04-07-2013 11:13 AM

Where to start (new to this forum)

I'm retired and live in Wisconsin. I used to live in Minnesota. The law there said to register as an RV you have to have like 5 of 8 possible improvements to your toter/hauler. Pretty simple and clear. Wisconsin isn't so clear on this but I finally found this under section 343.055 (Exceptions to CDL requirements). As both my wife and myself have minor handicaps a CDL is not a reasonable option.

EXCEPTIONS TO CDL REQUIREMENTS:
Recreational vehicle operators. The operator of the commercial motor vehicle is a person operating a motor home, or a vehicle towing a 5th-wheel recreational vehicle or single-unit recreational vehicle and the vehicle or combination, including both units of a combination towing vehicle and the 5th-wheel recreational vehicle or recreational vehicle, is both operated and controlled by the person and is transporting only members of the person's family, guests or their personal property. This paragraph does not apply to any transportation for hire or the transportation of any property connected to a commercial activity. In this paragraph, "controlled" means leased or owned.

Looks to me like any truck in any condition with no improvements, even dual axle units, can be registered as an RV and driven with just a Wisconsin class D license. Of course insurance etc. still have to be addressed along with which truck I want to start with.

I really want to keep my class 8 pretty simple. Rear seats or even just a day bed in back keeping the rig as low and short as reasonable are critical as this will be my transport around town when the 5th wheel is parked. Would prefer a automatic transmission as well. (easier for wife to deal with) I've looked at class 6 trucks like the F-650 and quite frankly they leave a lot to be desired from my point of view. Not enough torque and no jake breaks, Shorter engine life, for starters.

Opinions and suggestions are VERY welcome as like I said I'm very new to this.

Bob86ZZ4 04-09-2013 02:44 PM

Welcome to the Truck Conversion forums! Sounds like you're looking for the HDT (heavy duty truck) crowd though. There's quite a good size group of people that use HDT's to pull their 5th wheels. They have a very active forum over here: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum . There are also usually a couple of very nice trucks for sale there too. If I were looking for something like that for sure look for one that's all built up and ready to go. You'll save a ton rather than converting a used tractor for rv pulling duty. Check the HDT Rally page too. There you can find lots and lots of pictures of rigs so you can see some of the possibilities. Don't rule out a Truck Conversion either. Sure is nice cruising down the road in a single unit where everybody can wander around, sleep, watch tv, eat, play games at the table, use the restroom (all use is mandatory sitting while under way), etc....