Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #21

Hello again
After 25 years using a PC computer, I bought a Macbook Pro laptop.
I cannot remember my password to this forum. I had to wait until I could get my old PC out , because it remembers my password.
The first question I was ask, was can I get an overlength permit for Calif? They told me I could not get one for a Motorhome. You need a truck and a CDL.
The second question, Where am I now is my search?
I sold my 45 ft Newell yesterday (got a deposit) and when an if it closes next friday July 30th, I'm going to buy a new 26ft Renegade.
As I stated before, I want a short one (24-26 ft box) so that I can get a 30 ft Stacker and be close to 65 ft overall. All the used truck conversions I could find, had 30-34 ft boxes on them and most were on a M2 chassic. The dealer dropped the price $40,000 on this one and I can pick it up next week.
Thanks Glenn

GEPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #22

Good to hear you sold your coach. You get what you pay for when you buy a Renegade. Our quality, fit, and finish is far superior. I wish you would have come by to see our coaches and then go see theirs being built. That tells all. Anyhow, good luck.

HawkEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #23

Jason
Its no doubt in my mind that your unit would be twice as good.
The main reason I'm buying a new Renegade is, I can pick it up next week (if my motorhome closes) and its costing me $60,000 less than a new one from one of the better Mfg.
If my wife and I like traveling in one of these units, I will have one custom made from you.
I know after using it for 6 Months, we will want several changes.
Thanks
Glenn
Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #24

Sure, I can understand that too. Hope it works out for you. Come by and see us if you are by this way.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #25

Jason
I know this may sound crazy but its may be worth me looking into.
If I like traveling in the Renegade and want to build a custom unit, I know selling or trading it in will cost me about $50,000.
I will have a new Columbia freightliner chassis with few miles.
Is it worth taking the old box off and installing a new 26 ft box. I know it would be more work for you to remove the old box, but I would already have a genset, Sat TV, etc.
Thanks
Glenn
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #26

I think that would cost way too much. Much of the conversion is done in the frame of the truck and under the frame. Wires and support. You would be better off building a new one and selling that one when we get the new one done. Save you a ton of money.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #27

...snicker snicker.....
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #28

We will build on a used truck as well. That will save big bucks too. Bring us a truck and will we stretch it and build on it to save over building on a new truck.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #29

Hi jason, I've read your web site front to back. May i ask what one of your 45 ft conversions costs on average? i know there are a lot of variables but i am trying to get an idea what i can afford.
JG1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #30

Yes, there are many variables. $150k+ for the conversion which includes stretching the truck you bring to us.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #31

Jason
On a average, if I bought you a class 8 daycab truck, what would a 26 ft box cost. I know there are a lot of variables, but I would want Sat TV, etc.
Thanks
Glenn
PS: I like the looks of that new IH Longstar.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #32

Jason, So what spec's should I be looking for in a used truck to do a conversion? I've seen the post from the Vovlo guy "big t" which talks about front axle weight and the braking control value. These issues concern me on buying a used truck.

Also if i bought a used truck do you have suggestions on financing the conversion?
JG1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #33

GEPatch, yes there are many things to consider. $150k+ includes stretching the truck. How many slides, interior choices, seating and sleeping choices, LCDs, lots of things that increase the price. I wish you would come by and see what we do and how we do it better than the rest. You are only about 5 hours from us.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #34

JG1199, you probably will not have a choice in front end weight buying used. Most come with 12k front end and you can get up to 16k which we get when we order a new truck. 45' coach will have to have double tandem rear ends. We build on day cabs and we also specialize in the standup sleeper cabs like my picture shows. Go on my website to look at the coaches we have done recently to see lots of pictures. I do not know if I can post my website address here. Our company is hawkengineering and you can add the rest if you know what I mean. Call us if you want, 573-204-8296, Jason.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #35

You should just buy this one: http://www.balinfamily.com/for_sale

That looks like an awful nice coach for sale. I talked to Hawk about it but I needed one that could pull 40k lbs and with the garage on this one it limits the hitch capacity.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #36

.....Bob that is a slick one that you pointed us to!....do you know the down sides to a garage coach?....geofkaye
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #37

When I built that coach, it is designed to only pull a small enclosed trailer behind it being a drop deck garage as I call it. Less than 10k as it only has a 2" reciever hitch. You need a 40k for large trailers. It is a nice coach for the money for someone who wants a small garage for motorcycles or such.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #38

Here's a kind of medium duty truck conversion that doesn't look too bad: http://www.westsidemotorcoach....alties_Motorhome.htm

They've had it listed for quite awhile too, so I bet they'd come down for an offer. That Balin coach looks like a great price for what it is. When I first looked at it he was asking more I think but I can't remember how much.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #39

I stopped by HawkEng the other day to see Jason's operation. He is doing a great job. If I had 4-5 months to wait for a new rig, I would order one of his.

But, when you are 68 years old and the Country is on the verge of collapsing, why wait.
Glenn
Old 08-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #40

..you guys with the resources are in the place where you can make an offer and if they turn it down-you can walk out the door and find 8 more just like it. "He with the gold makes the rules"-now more than ever! oBOMo has messed with the market place and it will take at least another year or so before it can come back where it was 2 years ago. SO get ball-zie and make the offers-be prepared to walk without looking back-low ball everyone and leave your phone number on a card with the salesfool....when he gets hungry enough he will call and then you can knock off another $5k for making you wait......don't worry about all the stories about his starving kids-sales fools have eaten out of garbage cans before-it's time that they do it again.....remember all the cars you bought all those years and all the "Trix " that were played on you?....now is the time to get even!....What comes around-NOW-goes around!....geofkaye