Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #1

I know it's a generalized question, but let's keep it simple and we can always make it more complicated later.

When Showhauler, Haulmark, NRC, Powerhouse, whoever...builds a truck conversion or estimates the cost to build a conversion, how much do you think they are charging per man hour?

Any comments/opinions on this?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #2

.....40'X8.5' is 340sqft and the box costs about 2000 a sqft.foot manufactures cost using above average materials and appliances ....I'd suggest that the rest be something called PROFIT. The truck is bought wholesale so 30-50 % off MSRP ....adds another $70k to the mix........maybe out the door of the manufacture a >$140k...for a new one and a real reduction if it is used truck maybe in the neighborhood of >$110k.........they really cut costs by adding limited thermal insulation and RV type systems that are dirt cheap with a 3 your life at most-if you are lucky-and don't do a lot of entertainment or have kids.....20,000 or less a year over the road and no off-roading....labor in Elkhart is about $7.50 an hour for Latinos and some what more for Whites....engineering is not top shelf and then there is the downturn which have made materials cheaper as well as appliances.....Lot of builders buy direct and skip the middle man....freight is by your own truck to cut costs and CASH is a good thing to hear anytime......I made a lot of connections at the RVIA Show in Louisville and doing a lot of cost cutting on bulk supplies that are used on any trailer or MH etc. BAL is making some headway on products that last longer and the cost is quite-quite-quite-quite reasonable!....I only do business on MasterCard/cash to cut costs of an open accounts and shipping is Fed-EX or our truck if too bulky.....2 day trip but can be real rewarding as a lot of stuff gets sold over the fence so to speak....Bosch made me a instant hot water system for outside the coach for $300 less than any on the market+ shipping 110vt and propane out of the coach.....15 year warranty of heat exchanger....larger and better than any I have ever looked at. there is a time to hold'um and a time to fold'um.....knowwhatimean?.....I suggest that materials times 10 would be appropriate to figure the cost of the build currently....I do get sometimes as high as 15 but not ofter as that stuff is custom build one off re-do's....3 month turn around.....3 a year is good money for an old geezer like myself....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Geoff

Your post should read $200 per square foot x 340 sq ft = $68,000, correct.

You have it at $2000 per square foot which would be $680,000.

Are most conversions 8.5' wide or are they 8' wide?

Is there a certain year where they went to 8.5' wide?

What kind of truck would you get for $70k? Would that be like a new Freightliner Columbia with an automatic transmission and a long frame...?

Then you add the conversion space at $68,000 = approx $140k? Then add profit, say 50% or $70k and you come up with an out the door price of $210K?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #4

A new Freightliner Columbia with 40' double frame, 450 Mercedes, Auto shift, twin screw, air ride, the usual creature features, - spec'd out for motorhome conversion - is going to be in the mid to high $90's
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote